• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver lining: Grey Hulk gets Green Label....

24 posts in this topic

The golden god needs your advice!

As a long time creeper/lurker, the time has come for me to do the inevitable and join the madness that’s the CGC forums for the most selfish of reasons - I need your help.

After years of nearly happening, I finally got myself a Hulk #1. Horray! 
It’s a new style case, UKPV CGC 2.0 - so far so good.

Only real slight is…it’s a green label 😣. It’s issue? Married centrefold.

So here’s my conundrum - do I leave it as a green label CGC or have it graded a married blue label by Voldemort?

For the time being, it’s a purely PC book but in time, as circumstances dictate, I might have to move it on. Especially if it’s towards my ultimate grail. So in that instance, what will be more valuable/desirable? A green label CGC 2.0 or a blue label Voldemort with a notation and a possible grade hit/bump?

So my fellow forumites, what should the golden god do? 

Edited by thegoldengod

On 4/27/2023 at 7:23 AM, thegoldengod said:

So in that instance, what will be more valuable/desirable? A green label CGC 2.0 or a blue label Voldemort with a notation and a possible grade hit/bump?

Without checking, I have to imagine that CGC would still sell more, assuming that they remain the market leader if you sell in the future.

On 4/27/2023 at 1:19 PM, thegoldengod said:

Yep, so I’m assuming CGC know it’s married because of something like staple hole placement, page quality or something like that! 

Most likely the staple holes not aligning but they will have other forensic methods of determining this.

On 4/27/2023 at 1:32 PM, Lou Sir said:

Just laughing at their terminology, since you can't be married and detatched. That's like being kinda pregnant. 

You're lucky you didn't get a Purple.

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/4084/

I think being detached is why it doesn’t get the purple label 😂.

If it was attached - either professionally or poorly - it likely would’ve got purple?

Seriously, to the OP -- I don't think it much matters. Apart from confirming lack of restoration for a potential buyer who is not confident in detecting for themselves, the label on the plastic in this case is completely overshadowed by the "it is what it is" factor -- a low grade, complete via married CF Hulk #1. Your market is the niche who has to have the most affordable complete copy they can reach; that is the real driver in the down the road hypothetical sale. Don't get lost in the weeds. 

So I guess I think it's not worth spending more cash as you already have resto check certified via its present configuration.

On 4/27/2023 at 2:13 PM, Readcomix said:

Seriously, to the OP -- I don't think it much matters. Apart from confirming lack of restoration for a potential buyer who is not confident in detecting for themselves, the label on the plastic in this case is completely overshadowed by the "it is what it is" factor -- a low grade, complete via married CF Hulk #1. Your market is the niche who has to have the most affordable complete copy they can reach; that is the real driver in the down the road hypothetical sale. Don't get lost in the weeds. 

So I guess I think it's not worth spending more cash as you already have resto check certified via its present configuration.

That’s a really solid take, thank you, and to my mind, I would agree with it completely.

However, as you said it, it already has a niche market so would having it blue instead of green just extend that niche market out a bit more to give it the best chance of maximising its value?

Also, some collectors seem to think the green qualified grade is, in essence, a theoretical grade as it’s a “what if” type grade and not based on what the actual book is.

Therefore, in this instance, is an actual Voldemort blue label grade better than a what if green label?

It’s certainly food for thought.

Aesthetically though, I have to say, the green label kinda works for the hulk 😂 

On 4/27/2023 at 9:22 AM, thegoldengod said:

That’s a really solid take, thank you, and to my mind, I would agree with it completely.

However, as you said it, it already has a niche market so would having it blue instead of green just extend that niche market out a bit more to give it the best chance of maximising its value?

Also, some collectors seem to think the green qualified grade is, in essence, a theoretical grade as it’s a “what if” type grade and not based on what the actual book is.

Therefore, in this instance, is an actual Voldemort blue label grade better than a what if green label?

It’s certainly food for thought.

Aesthetically though, I have to say, the green label kinda works for the hulk 😂 

I follow, but I think anyone in the market for a book of this level is going to trust their own eyes on the apparent grade.  I just don’t see the change and associated cost as a slam dunk in any further shoring up buyer confidence or your ability to stand on “X” asking price. 

On 4/27/2023 at 8:32 AM, Lou Sir said:

Just laughing at their terminology, since it can't be married and detatched. That's like being kinda pregnant. 

You're lucky you didn't get a Purple.

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/4084/

Why not? Married just means parts from another book were added to a book that was missing said parts. As has been said, someone took a centrefold from another copy and slid it in. The evident could be a variety of things, from where the staples holes are and lineup, to the page quality different from others in the book.

On 4/27/2023 at 2:48 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I just meant that with most of the damage on the edges, the cover has great appeal.

100%, that’s why I bit the bullet on this copy. Despite the obvious issue of the married centrefold, the cover presented really solidly for a 2.0!

On 4/27/2023 at 8:22 AM, thegoldengod said:

That’s the only one I have on my phone. I can upload better ones later if anyone’s interested!

819E2DF0-D24D-4722-9709-2BD18011901D.jpeg

That photo suits me fine, I just wanted to see that label for myself.

I'm in agreement with Readcomix and would leave it as is. There's also the potential that any extra "value" created by the blue label could be offset by the brand. Voldemort still lags behind a bit when it comes down to sale prices. Plus you'd be laying out more $ in grading fees.

On 4/27/2023 at 11:13 AM, Lou Sir said:

Married (to me) means attached to the staples/book.

Either way, whether someone took the time to affix it or not to the existing staples, it still implies the fact it is from another book entirely, which is the bigger issue