• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sent a Book in to Classics, Very Concerned and not experienced

12 posts in this topic

I sent a book into Classics, It's an Xmen #1 1963 should be somewhere in the 5.0-6.5 range. I wanted it to get, "conservation" but after seeing posts I don't think I want this conservation anymore. I really want it to be graded Non-Restored. Should I ask them not to touch the book? Will they try and reccommend "conservation" and say it will still get a unrestored grade? Thanks

You need to, I don't know, slow down and take a breath. Maybe learn about the hobby a little bit more before you go throwing money around. That's what you need to do. If you're concerned about this book, call them and say "I changed my mind" and get it back. Then, spend a little time familiarizing yourself with these issues so that you can make your own decisions about what do with your own valuable comics.

You need to, I don't know, slow down and take a breath. Maybe learn about the hobby a little bit more before you go throwing money around. That's what you need to do. If you're concerned about this book, call them and say "I changed my mind" and get it back. Then, spend a little time familiarizing yourself with these issues so that you can make your own decisions about what do with your own valuable comics.

Amen! It must be nice to have stupid money to throw around in a hobby you know nothing about.

Great advise...but then again, it's the uninformed that are the bread and butter of these services...

Jim

I sent a book into Classics, It's an Xmen #1 1963 should be somewhere in the 5.0-6.5 range. I wanted it to get, "conservation" but after seeing posts I don't think I want this conservation anymore. I really want it to be graded Non-Restored. Should I ask them not to touch the book? Will they try and reccommend "conservation" and say it will still get a unrestored grade? Thanks

I agree, as would just about anyone here, that you should not have the book restored (or "conserved" as some want to call it). Most buyers in the market for a mid-grade X-Men 1 would not want a restored book, or would only consider it for the price of a very low-grade copy. Having work done to this book makes no sense, as it is highly desirable in its unrestored state, and the stigma of restoration will devalue it well below what its current value is. So yep, you should call Classics and ask them just to ship it back to you...you'll lose a few bucks in postage, but not a big deal. Enjoy the book! thumbsup2.gif

you should not have the book restored (or "conserved" as some want to call it). Most buyers in the market for a mid-grade X-Men 1 would not want a restored book, or would only consider it for the price of a very low-grade copy. Having work done to this book makes no sense, as it is highly desirable in its unrestored state, and the stigma of restoration will devalue it well below what its current value is.

Unless you plan on not disclosing the restoration/conservation. In that case you have nothing to worry about. If it's ok with CGC and some of the big dealers then it must be ok. confused-smiley-013.gif

Tell them you've changed your mind & that you no longer want the book restored. A 5.0-6.5 unrestored will be worth more than any amount of restoration you do.

well, technically what you've said is true.

However, since CGC does not consider non-disassembled pressing and/or dry cleaning to be restoration, the book in question MIGHT benefit from the services of one of the restorer/conservators. if it were to come back in a universal blue label at a 7.0 or 7.5 after work was performed, it would, in fact, be worth considerably more.

as Old Guy said, it would all hinge on whether Yenling decided to disclose the work.

of course, you are correct if any work considered restoration by CGC resulted in a PLOD. moving forward we will all have to be on the lookout for the APPARENT grades which will be given to all RESORED or CONSERVED books.......... grin.gif

Tell them you've changed your mind & that you no longer want the book restored. A 5.0-6.5 unrestored will be worth more than any amount of restoration you do.

He didn't say he was going to get it "restored." When Matt says "conservation," he means a dry clean and NDP press, which will not get a restored label.

Just because you guys are against pressing is no excuse to spread misinformation. 893naughty-thumb.gif

He didn't say he was going to get it "restored." When Matt says "conservation," he means a dry clean and NDP press, which will not get a restored label.

Just because you guys are against pressing is no excuse to spread misinformation. 893naughty-thumb.gif

devil.gifdevil.gif

Agreed. I believe there is a difference between restoration and conservation even if im in the minority. If you specified conservation, he'll probably press the book for you. This may or may not enhance its grade. I wouldnt stress too much about it. It seems like you may have an aneurysm if the book gets "restored" and gets the PLOD.

Well said. Maybe get the book pressed for $20 and send it back to you.