• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Writers Guild of America (WGA) strike news
2 2

557 posts in this topic

On 9/27/2023 at 11:58 AM, fantastic_four said:

Nothing prevents a human--which in the Hollywood context means an executive or a producer--from taking 100% of the content from ChatGPT and just copyrighting it themselves though.

Many of the most popular network television shows have always been formulaic.  I can see a LOT of shows intended for less-demanding audiences being almost entirely AI generated in its current state.  Surely showrunners will be trying the heck out of that in the near future if they aren't already.  Does this new contract prevent it?  Maybe, can't tell yet.

I suspect the loophole in the court decision would be a producer using AI to generate a -script, and then a person doing edits and small rewrites on that.  Now that tweeker could claim the copyright, since they altered the material and the AI has no standing for that claim. Thus relying heavily on AI, and allowing the studio to maintain copyright status. 

On 9/27/2023 at 12:34 PM, drotto said:

I suspect the loophole in the court decision would be a producer using AI to generate a --script, and then a person doing edits and small rewrites on that.  Now that tweeker could claim the copyright, since they altered the material and the AI has no standing for that claim. Thus relying heavily on AI, and allowing the studio to maintain copyright status. 

Yep. I suspect AI in writing will be a lot harder to enforce than AI actors.

On 9/27/2023 at 11:58 AM, fantastic_four said:

Nothing prevents a human--which in the Hollywood context means an executive or a producer--from taking 100% of the content from ChatGPT and just copyrighting it themselves though.

Many of the most popular network television shows have always been formulaic.  I can see a LOT of shows intended for less-demanding audiences being almost entirely AI generated in its current state.  Surely showrunners will be trying the heck out of that in the near future if they aren't already.  Does this new contract prevent it?  Maybe, can't tell yet.

It would be very hard to catch, but I'm guessing that if they did, the copyright would be null. Or they could get sued for copyright infringement depending on what their AI of choice was pulling from... it could easily be framed as plagiarism. Especially considering some AI have been caught pulling from fanfiction 

One of the post-strike realities: fewer shows, fewer writers on overall deals, and perhaps an amusing roundabout: after a generation of Peak TV, writers are starting to focus on movies.

On 10/9/2023 at 3:33 AM, Bosco685 said:

I mean, is anyone surprised?  Sure the studios "agree" to up wages/benefits/whatever, but did anyone actually think that the Studios would take that hit out of their pocket?  Come on.  The people that are extended are being paid for by the people they are letting go.  That is how it was always going to be in any sector (not just movies).

On 10/9/2023 at 6:37 AM, media_junkie said:

I mean, is anyone surprised?  Sure the studios "agree" to up wages/benefits/whatever, but did anyone actually think that the Studios would take that hit out of their pocket?  Come on.  The people that are extended are being paid for by the people they are letting go.  That is how it was always going to be in any sector (not just movies).

Even before the strike, the studios were signaling they were going to significantly cut back on content. This gave them the excuse the terminate contracts on projects that had already been greenlit. 

I would agrue however, that most streaming shows lose money, and it is very difficult to quantify how mid to low level content drives subscribers.  The streaming model is fundimantally flawed, and the strike has exposed this.

On 10/9/2023 at 6:37 AM, media_junkie said:

The other option would be the studio works (including creators and actors) should do nothing and take what they are given. We all wouldn't be surprised that would lead to less and less - right?

On 10/9/2023 at 2:18 PM, drotto said:

Even before the strike, the studios were signaling they were going to significantly cut back on content. This gave them the excuse the terminate contracts on projects that had already been greenlit. 

I would agrue however, that most streaming shows lose money, and it is very difficult to quantify how mid to low level content drives subscribers.  The streaming model is fundimantally flawed, and the strike has exposed this.

I wouldn't be surprised like so many Hollywood trends (including everyone had to own their own disc mailing service at one point), the industry will have to shift. What that will end up as will be interesting.

On 10/9/2023 at 2:52 PM, Bosco685 said:

The other option would be the studio works (including creators and actors) should do nothing and take what they are given. We all wouldn't be surprised that would lead to less and less - right?

No, that isn't what I was saying.  If the people want to go out on strike, by all means go on strike to fight for your wages/benefits, however don't be surprised when all of a sudden when you get what you wanted a bunch of you are let go/laid off.  The studio/corporation will not lose money, they will make it up either by getting rid of people or raising prices to the consumer.  

On 10/9/2023 at 3:53 PM, media_junkie said:

No, that isn't what I was saying.  If the people want to go out on strike, by all means go on strike to fight for your wages/benefits, however don't be surprised when all of a sudden when you get what you wanted a bunch of you are let go/laid off.  The studio/corporation will not lose money, they will make it up either by getting rid of people or raising prices to the consumer.  

Obviously!

Captain Obvious GIF - Captain Obvious Dancing - Discover & Share GIFs

:baiting:

On 10/9/2023 at 2:18 PM, drotto said:

YEP, That was planned regardless of strike outcome the only difference is those who are still working at that role in the biz will be paid more.  My guess though is overall the Studio payouts for writers as whole will pretty much be the same.  Finance industry may be crooked but the entertainment industry, not just in US but worldwide, is far far worse. 

Edited by MAR1979

It's interesting, the two biggest trends that I've seen over the last few years in tv/movies.

The talent, or main actor is now listed as an Executive Producer.   Acknowledging that the show, or movie isn't really a valid enterprise unless the main talent is onboard.   It's like having a restaurant with the chef as business partner.   They've fully vested in the success of the project, and walking out on the venture, they're walking out on themselves.

The second trend is across tv/movies/music, where writing/producing has become about a team of people, instead of individuals, or partner writers.   The latter is still around, but the rise of the teams has been pronounced.   Individual talent as writer/creater's seems to have waned.   And that waning influence as a writer, has translated in devaluation in the Hollywood machinery.        

As for the future, and this immediate shedding of writers, it seems counter-intuitive to the studio's content model's they're currently running with.   The platforms are battling it out to produce more and more content.   Reducing writer numbers seems antithetical towards this goal.

On 10/10/2023 at 12:17 AM, Microchip said:

It's interesting, the two biggest trends that I've seen over the last few years in tv/movies.

The talent, or main actor is now listed as an Executive Producer.   Acknowledging that the show, or movie isn't really a valid enterprise unless the main talent is onboard.   It's like having a restaurant with the chef as business partner.   They've fully vested in the success of the project, and walking out on the venture, they're walking out on themselves.

The second trend is across tv/movies/music, where writing/producing has become about a team of people, instead of individuals, or partner writers.   The latter is still around, but the rise of the teams has been pronounced.   Individual talent as writer/creater's seems to have waned.   And that waning influence as a writer, has translated in devaluation in the Hollywood machinery.        

As for the future, and this immediate shedding of writers, it seems counter-intuitive to the studio's content model's they're currently running with.   The platforms are battling it out to produce more and more content.   Reducing writer numbers seems antithetical towards this goal.

I've also seen quality go downhill. Maybe there's a correlation? (shrug)

I'm an avid writer and, being a student, I understand the significance of the written word. The Writers Guild of America plays a vital role in fostering creativity and talent in the field of writing. I'd like to express my appreciation for the support and resources they provide to writers. Moreover, as a student, I've had the chance to explore various forms of writing, including MBA essay writer https://essaypro.com/mba-essay-writing-service. It's a niche skill that requires a deep understanding of business concepts and the ability to craft compelling narratives. The guidance and mentorship provided by organizations like the Writers Guild are invaluable in developing such specialized skills. Kudos to them!

Edited by Faint18

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Sorry i had to let that out

I know a few that are back in the Writers’ Room and working again. I expected more show cancellations but luckily they made the cut.

Heels was cancelled though! :frustrated::censored:  Starz cancels that but continues with 3 different shows in the “Power” universe. :facepalm:

Another day of meetings with SAG and AMPTFU today with no deal. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Some of us need to get back to work already