• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steranko Batman--Original art or a print?
3 3

17 posts in this topic

Before you try to sell it, reach out to an auction house. Heritage Auctions, ComicLink and others have art experts that can evaluate it for you. My gut is it's a print but you should verify it.

On 5/2/2023 at 7:22 PM, L'Angelo Misterioso said:

I found this wrapped in unmarked brown paper. I'm absolutely new to the art side of collecting and I don't know if this is a print or original. Unsure of age, but likely 1970s.

20230502_161441.thumb.jpg.09d16f04ae5d84ceac9ad24982e45a54.jpg

heritage sold this original in 2022...(slightly different but same general image)

On 5/2/2023 at 4:22 PM, L'Angelo Misterioso said:

I found this wrapped in unmarked brown paper. I'm absolutely new to the art side of collecting and I don't know if this is a print or original. Unsure of age, but likely 1970s.

20230502_161441.thumb.jpg.09d16f04ae5d84ceac9ad24982e45a54.jpg

The original sold in 2022. Here is the link to the auction. I'm sorry you don't have the original. It's a lovely piece. Best regards from grape ape 🍇 🦍 

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/illustrations/jim-steranko-batman-illustration-original-art-undated-/a/7283-94158.s

Edited by grapeape

On 6/6/2023 at 12:36 AM, Gal Schwartz said:

It's the same pose but two totally different illustrations.

I still believe the best thing the OP can do is have his piece examined by a pro. I just can't be sure if this (first pic) is a print or an original. 

20230502_161441.thumb.jpg.09d16f04ae5d84ceac9ad24982e45a54.jpgOriginal Comic Art:Illustrations, Jim Steranko - Batman Illustration Original Art (undated)....

Edited by grapeape

IMHO you should send here :

- a close pic of the Batman cape part

- a pic of the reverse side.

Maybe I'm wrong, but with the blacks on the first pic, we should be able to see if it's a print or an original... and then look for maybe the ink effect, if heavy, at the reverse.

Of course, it will not be as easy as for a Mignola, but...

Edited by Ecclectica

On 6/8/2023 at 4:07 AM, L'Angelo Misterioso said:

What's the most reliable way to get in touch with Heritage? I've previously inquired about a celebrity autograph and got radio silence.

Brian Wiedman
Consignment Director/
Comics & Comic Art
BrianW@HA.com
Heritage Auctions
2801 W. Airport Freeway
Dallas, Texas 75261
1-800-872-6467 Ext. 1279

or

Xavier Chavez
Consignment Director
XavierC@HA.com
Heritage Auctions
2801 W. Airport Freeway
Dallas, Texas 75261
1-800-872-6467 Ext. 1559

Edited by TupennyConan

On 6/8/2023 at 1:42 AM, Ecclectica said:

IMHO you should send here :

- a close pic of the Batman cape part

- a pic of the reverse side.

Maybe I'm wrong, but with the blacks on the first pic, we should be able to see if it's a print or an original... and then look for maybe the ink effect, if heavy, at the reverse.

Of course, it will not be as easy as for a Mignola, but...

That would really be helpful. 

On 6/9/2023 at 2:08 AM, L'Angelo Misterioso said:

It's a print, I peeled part of the art off the backing board and there are Kodak watermarks

The margins are narrow and the blacks uniform, so I'm not surprised.