• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

INVESTING IN COMIC BOOKS

83 posts in this topic

Does anyone COLLECT comic books anymore?

You know, I got that feeling initially when I arrived here. But now I think the place is the bee's knee's and the cat's pajamas! Check out ALL the comic areas. Lots of vigosous discussions about what age is what, restoration, favorite covers and a host of toher tpoics. Right now we are emboiled in the question: Can Wolverine Beat Spiderman? Now even though it is a silly question with an obvious answer (kidding! kidding!) ... nothing about values and grade there.

There's a lot to find when you start looking in depth. And you will also find there are real personalities and characters here. We laugh, we cry, we love, we hate, we suppoort each other in ties of....geeze will SOMEONE stick a fork in me or something?

Look around. There's fun afoot!

As a collector first, and seller second, I can certainly empathize with missing those great books you've sold. However, I always remember that "If I hadn't sold all the books I've sold, I could've never bought all the books I bought!"

To be honest, I really enjoy the forum. When I started this thread, I didn't really want to discuss anything in particular. I kinda just felt like talking about comics in general. I was hoping that all the members of the forum could get involved, and talk about anything they wanted. Afterall, this is 'COMICS GENERAL"....

I am picking up what your putting down.

I miss a vast majority of the comics that I have sold, but then I think about the ones that I bought with the money and begin to feel better about it. I would love to keep all the comics I have ever purchased, been given, or found in the attic next to a stick of butter, but storage space is limited around my parts. So, some of my comics are forced to walk the plank and sing the dirge.

Collecting tastes vary over time and part of the fun of collecting is seeing your collection morph and change as you and your tastes do.

You shouldn't think of yourself losing a book, but of another collector gaining one grin.gif

I rationalize it the same way. When I start missing certain books, I start going through some of my most recent additions to combat that feeling. The only problem is...I don't know about you....but there are certain books that I used to own, and for the life of me, I can't remember what happened to them. I know that I sold/ traded them, but not in exchange for more comics. In other words; I have nothing to show for them......

I've never stopped collectng comics. Fact is I grew up in a family that brainwashed me into collecting. My dad collected comics before me and I carried on where he left off.

Actually a lot of comic stuff does get talked about on these boards. Its probably all been covered at some time or another, but the subjects comes around again never the less. What about comics did you want to discuss? If you can't find a post about it, start one. Your sure to get a bunch of replies.

Collecting tastes vary over time and part of the fun of collecting is seeing your collection morph and change as you and your tastes do.

They sure do. That is why I am trying to re-collect many of my previously owned pre-code horror. I ask myself to this day "What were you thinking, dillweed?"

I am definitely a collector. The only reason I sell books (which isn't often) is to get more money to buy more books I want. I also like the auction action but that's something else entirely.

For that matter:

My favorite book I own: Daredevil 53, has sentimental value for me as the first back issue I bought with my own money plus I love the cover.

I've recently gotten into Bronze Western after a huge stint with Bronze Horror.

book I love to hate: Peter Parker, Spectacular Spiderman (someone say The Spot?)

Aside from the recent CSI comics, I don't think I've read a book that's been published in the past 15 years (can someone please tell me Wolverine's origin?).

I don't get Kirby art so much but I love Gene Colan, Neal Adams, and Steranko.

CGC opinion: not for me...only for books (and only keys) I plan on selling but I do wish I had the Nick Fury #1 in 9.8.

I'm going to San Diego and have been for the past 4 years but I live in LA so its easy.

Thanks,

Mitch

"I also like the auction action but that's something else entirely. "

Me too. That's why I'm here at the forum, and not over at Ebay. To be completely honest, there are just too many comics to resist. A kid in a candystore? In the worst way.....

It's funny.....I'm trying to think of my overall favourite book that I own...and I can't. I think what has the highest sentimental value to me, is my run of FF from 89-200. I remember putting that collection together piece by piece when I was a kid. I really loved reading the Fantastic Four. I would sell ALL of my High-Grade books, long before I would surrender those memories...

Beyonder, I know exactly how you feel about getting rid of books. I am hoping one day this happens to you. Back in '79 I sold a bunch of Silver Age comics. Iron Man, Captain America (yes a nice NM copy of 100 was in there), Thor, and a few other titles. I sold them because I needed cash to pay the lousy house tax that year. I just recently got married, and cash was tight back then.

A few years ago, I ran into a Silver Age collection and bought them all back, most in better condition than the ones' I owned back in '79. I've called this my once in a lifetime chance to make good, and it can happen to you. Actually, I kinda hope it does - you seem like a nice guy.

And congrats on a great thread. Notice any stars?????

Aside from the recent CSI comics, I don't think I've read a book that's been published in the past 15 years (can someone please tell me Wolverine's origin?).

Then you've missed a lot of great comics.

Wolverine is a mutant. He was born with a mutant healing power, heightened perception and bone claws in his forearms. Many years later someone grafted metal onto his skeleton. That's his origin!

"Origin" was about where he grew up in Alberta (around the turn of the last century), that he was born into a family of privilege but was cast out when his mutant abilities began to surface. Since it was pretty likely that he was the handyman's kid he adopted the guy's last name as his own.

The handyman's real kid, may, although this is unclear, be Sabretooth.

Kev

It's funny. One of the books that I really enjoyed was DD #181 when it came out(the comic, not the movie). Somewhere along the line, my copy just 'disappeared'. Just yesterday I received it's "replacement" in the mail. I didn't think that "someone else's copy" would bring back the enjoyment of my original, but you know what.........it did.

>>Wolverine is a mutant. He was born with a mutant healing power, heightened perception and bone claws in his forearms. Many years later someone grafted metal onto his skeleton. That's his origin!

Man, how times have changed, along with the retcons.

I can remember Marvel wanting to get down to Wolvie's single mutant power, and basically had to choose one. I think at one point it was heightened physical and mental acuity, with the healing factor being an artificial power, and those stupid bone claws (easily one of Marvel's most bone-headed moves) not even part of the muddled multi-mutant powered equation.

Oh well, wait a couple of years and Origin will become a memory implant, his "mother" will be Mystique, and Logan will be the name of his favorite berry. grin.gif