• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is it possible..

50 posts in this topic

to get a 9.8 grade with a tiny spine stress that breaks color if its barely noticeable. If so could you show me your examples, please. I have a GI JOE #4 thats stuningly perfect except for a tiny little tick on the black line of the spine (not even on the books cover). Everything else is perfect, no indentions, razor sharp corners, perfect edges, etc... Thanks again fellas for your help.

Yes, and I have seen 9.8s with multiple color breaking spine stresses on the back. Boardmember Klozd24-7 has a copy of the last issue of Maxx (can't remember the number) with 2 or more spine cracks on the back that break color. I saw it in person and I was pretty surprised it got a 9.8.

This is on that "Black line" Marvel uses on the spines edge to seperate the cover inks from the white of the back cover. Id love to see some examples for comparrison. I thought CGC was the toughest on the spine and corners?

I have heard, the spine breaks on DC's are the ones they really smack around. If its Marvel, you might just be in the clear.
Why would CGC care which company published a comic? Do you honestly think they favor one over the other simply based on publisher? Aren't they supposed to be unbiased in that regard?

Is so, how do the independent companies stack up against the big 2 in terms of bias?

I have heard, the spine breaks on DC's are the ones they really smack around. If its Marvel, you might just be in the clear.
Why would CGC care which company published a comic? Do you honestly think they favor one over the other simply based on publisher? Aren't they supposed to be unbiased in that regard?

Is so, how do the independent companies stack up against the big 2 in terms of bias?

This is what I have heard. Ergo, rumor. Doesn't mean it is absolute law. So, take it with a grain of salt. And to that, I don't think it is publisher bias. Grader bias, maybe put not publisher. Could be CGC is so familiar with 9+ grade DC that they are more picky. Remember that the grading per overstreet would assign the same value regardless of publisher. But CGC doesn't publish their standards so, they just might grade based on what is typical of each publisher. For example, if DC is consistently in 9+ grades that means they have more room to drop a grade. Or else, they would in effect totally devalue a comic. I would love to see a full analysis of how many 9.0, 9.2, 9.3, 9.4 etc per publisher/era (particularly 70's) comics. Like Moderns DC has 3000 issues in 9.8, 2000 for Marvel etc.

The answer is NOOOO. Even if your copy is the best around, a tiny stress on the spine disqualifies it from 9.8 for life.

I think what our mellow friend here means to say is that it should disqualify it from 9.8 for life.

And I agree. But I'm not certain that CGC are that predictable.

Hes an angry man indeed. After looking at it further, theres no stress mark, just a tiny tick of color missing from that black line I mentioned. Im leaning towards 9.8, but i wanted to see some samples of one or two tiny spine stresses (no color break) in that grade.

Yes, and I have seen 9.8s with multiple color breaking spine stresses on the back. Boardmember Klozd24-7 has a copy of the last issue of Maxx (can't remember the number) with 2 or more spine cracks on the back that break color. I saw it in person and I was pretty surprised it got a 9.8.

I was surprised also, Andrew smirk.gif. If I can get the book to you this weekend, perhaps you can post a scan for good ol' Dungeon, eh???

I was surprised also, Andrew smirk.gif. If I can get the book to you this weekend, perhaps you can post a scan for good ol' Dungeon, eh???

I can try, but my scanner isn't big enough to scan slabs properly. I doubt it would show up well at all. crazy.gif

no no no grading bisatch. This tiny little fleck shouldnt drop it from a 9.8. Ive seen 1 or 2 tiny spine stresses on 9.8s. (Just want to see others books here) Ive seen tiny little bends in corners that still get a 9.8. the rest of the book is usually near perfect though.

from the OGG for 9.8;

Cover Creases: None allowed;

Cover Wear: flat, no wear, nicely centered;

Stress Lines: none allowed;

from the examples they give, only the very slightest - read: practically invisible to the naked eye - colour flecks are allowed.

so, going by that, i would say no, although i suspect they have given 9.8s out to "unworthy" books in the past