• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

new dei criteria for being nominated for oscars

32 posts in this topic

On 5/8/2023 at 4:35 PM, october said:

Award ceremonies are a ridiculous circle jerk hosted and attended by out of touch rich elites living inside a bubble on top of an ivory tower. Why anyone outside of their respective industries cares about who gets them, let alone spends time watching them, is beyond me. 

This and nothing else. Close thread now. 

On 5/9/2023 at 5:19 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I almost never watched award ceremonies and this simply guarantees that I never will again.

Came here to say this. 

On 5/8/2023 at 11:05 PM, jcjames said:

"Am I being told that I will never have a chance to play a Black man?" Dreyfuss said

Well, I couldn't put my finger on what was missing in my life before now, but there it is: seeing Richard Dreyfuss playing a black man in a movie!

:eyeroll:

:facepalm:

The impact of this may be felt almost immediately.  To me, Oppenheimer looks like it could be one of the best films of the year.  I have even seen some internet chatter that it may be a contender. Given Christopher Nolan's track record, it has every opportunity to be an Oscar caliber, film.  It also looks to be the first candidate in years, that will actually do well from a box office perspective (yes, nominating Top Gun, and Black Panther was pandering to a lost general audience).  Given the subject matter, time period, and fact the Nolan will be relatively historically accurate, Oppenheimer might not qualify under the new guidelines.  

Edited by drotto

On 5/14/2023 at 5:32 PM, drotto said:

The impact of this may be felt almost immediately.  To me, Oppenheimer looks like it could be one of the best films of the year.  I have even seen some internet chatter that it may be a contender. Given Christopher Nolan's track record, it has every opportunity to be an Oscar caliber, film.  It also looks to be the first candidate in years, that will actually do well from a box office perspective (yes, nominating Top Gun, and Black Panther was pandering to a lost general audience).  Given the subject matter, time period, and fact the Nolan will be relatively historically accurate, Oppenheimer might not qualify under the new guidelines.  

The impact from this will be negligible.  The reality is that these "rules" are much more about raising public awareness than about mandating substantive changes.  

On 5/14/2023 at 6:24 PM, Axelrod said:

The impact from this will be negligible.  The reality is that these "rules" are much more about raising public awareness than about mandating substantive changes.  

Read the rules, they are very precise and extensive (and at times seem arbitrary based on real life demographics) .  They also fully intend to enforce them. There are already consulting firms popping up to help movie makers navigate and comply with the rules. The on screen representation will likely not meet the criteria.  I have no idea if it will meet the criteria based on behind the camera guidelines. 

Honestly, I think they are going to enforce them very rigidly for the first few years, and then realize the rules don't work.

On 5/14/2023 at 6:32 PM, drotto said:

Read the rules, they are very precise and extensive (and at times seem arbitrary based on real life demographics) .  They also fully intend to enforce them. There are already consulting firms popping up to help movie makers navigate and comply with the rules. The on screen representation will likely not meet the criteria.  I have no idea if it will meet the criteria based on behind the camera guidelines. 

Honestly, I think they are going to enforce them very rigidly for the first few years, and then realize the rules don't work.

I mean, the "rules" I read - which, I suppose might not be the ones actually implemented - are stupidly easy to comply with, and require zero changes to casting.  You can satisfy these "diversity" requirements with tech people/marketing/publicity.  Another one only says that the production, distribution OR finance company should offer "opportunities" to people from underrepresented groups.  There are four categories (or what they call "Standards") and you only need to meet 2 of the 4 for your film to qualify as a Best Picture candidate.  It seems so trivial to me it's practically meaningless - except as a way of raising awareness.  

Unless, as I say, something changed from what I read.  

On 5/14/2023 at 6:48 PM, Axelrod said:

I mean, the "rules" I read - which, I suppose might not be the ones actually implemented - are stupidly easy to comply with, and require zero changes to casting.  You can satisfy these "diversity" requirements with tech people/marketing/publicity.  Another one only says that the production, distribution OR finance company should offer "opportunities" to people from underrepresented groups.  There are four categories (or what they call "Standards") and you only need to meet 2 of the 4 for your film to qualify as a Best Picture candidate.  It seems so trivial to me it's practically meaningless - except as a way of raising awareness.  

Unless, as I say, something changed from what I read.  

You're dead on. The rules are actually incredibly easy to fulfill on the backend. Of those 4 Standards, only A affects anything on camera, and Standards C & D are so easy to fulfill it's laughable: things like 1917 and Banshees of Inisherin almost certainly fulfill those already because they're distributed by major companies like Universal and Searchlight, and in companies that large, it's harder to not fulfill those criteria. Is an intern or exec gay? Autistic? Hispanic? Mixed race? A woman? Hearing impaired? Any of those things can be used to fulfill the "underrepresented group" requirements.
I honestly think they came up with these guidelines to generate positive buzz in a new audience after their viewership has hit record lows without actually having to change anything at all. Or get free marketing from people arguing about it on Twitter.

On 5/14/2023 at 3:32 PM, drotto said:

Oppenheimer might not qualify under the new guidelines.  

Should have changed the title to "Medea Goes To Los Alamos" - woulda been a shoe-in.