• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Dark Knight Returns Newsstand
1 1

11 posts in this topic

So I’ve been digging into this and can’t seem to find much information—is there a Batman: The Dark Knight Returns first print newsstand? I know the second printing exists in newsie form, but haven’t found any first prints.

Secondly, if there is no first print newsie, why would that be the case? I know there are first print newsstands for The Dark Knight 2-4.

Would love to know what’s up with this if anyone has any info!

On 5/9/2023 at 11:42 PM, NoMan said:

I never knew there were any newsstands of this title. 

I only found out recently as I noticed a Dark Knight #2 with a UPC on the back. I've seen a handful of 2-4, but the only #1 first prints I can find are direct, making me think newsies are only available 2nd or later printings for that one. Which...seems weird, but I don't really know a lot about the market in general. Just curious if anyone had come across a #1 newsie first print 

On 5/10/2023 at 5:05 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

There was another thread on this, but I can't find it at the moment, but someone found a newsstand version at an estate sale or garage sale I think, and posted some info about it.

Thanks! I snooped around some old threads--there was a big discussion about #1 'fourth printing', but I couldn't find much info about the newsstands. Google has only lead me to second print newsies for #1. Doesn't seem to be a lot of info out there about this. Just thought it was interesting since it was such a big-selling book at the time, yet newsies don't pop up that often from what I can see. I'd love to do a newsstand run of this but would be a moot point if #1 first print has no newsstand. 

If you find the thread though let me know!

Edited by Nsschenks

On 5/10/2023 at 4:11 PM, Nsschenks said:

Thanks! I snooped around some old threads--there was a big discussion about #1 'fourth printing', but I couldn't find much info about the newsstands. Google has only lead me to second print newsies for #1. Doesn't seem to be a lot of info out there about this. Just thought it was interesting since it was such a big-selling book at the time, yet newsies don't pop up that often from what I can see. I'd love to do a newsstand run of this but would be a moot point if #1 first print has no newsstand. 

If you find the thread though let me know!

Sorry, I was mostly right on the details... except it's a 2nd print:

I would guess that the surprise success of the first issue prompted them to do Newsstands starting with the second printing of the first issue. It's almost unbelievable that a DC series with that format and price point at that time had newsstand distribution and I can't think of another explanation.

On 5/10/2023 at 4:11 PM, Nsschenks said:

Just thought it was interesting since it was such a big-selling book at the time, yet newsies don't pop up that often from what I can see.

Of course, it's not something you're easily going to see or notice because it's not evident from the front cover alone.

On 5/10/2023 at 8:12 PM, Lazyboy said:

I would guess that the surprise success of the first issue prompted them to do Newsstands starting with the second printing of the first issue. It's almost unbelievable that a DC series with that format and price point at that time had newsstand distribution and I can't think of another explanation.

Of course, it's not something you're easily going to see or notice because it's not evident from the front cover alone.

Ah k so a bit of an outlier then—I didn’t even consider the price point (4x normal issues I think?). I guess with the big success of first print they decided to print newsstands starting with the second print (and all prints on 2-4). That’s true though that it might just be trickier to find cus of the UPC on the back. Did a double take first time I noticed it on #2.