• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 401 - 441
2 2

22 posts in this topic

On 5/12/2023 at 12:00 PM, lostboys said:

Can anyone tell me if there are any keys in this run or any issues that are pricey because of hype or whatever?

Thanks!

There are a few that are that way, but are still fun to collect. 

ASM#: 410, 430, 431, and then vol 2 is considered the rest of the #400's I guess because when vol 2 is over then it goes back to $500, so of vol 2 there is #30 :) 

AND a few other J. Scott Campbell covers :cheers: 

On 5/12/2023 at 1:06 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

ASM#: 410, 430, 431, and then vol 2 is considered the rest of the #400's I guess because when vol 2 is over then it goes back to $500, so of vol 2 there is #30 :) 

Thanks.

The first series ends at 441 though, right?

Id like to just complete that run and im up to 400.

Should I just wait until all those books come down in price?

I really dont wanna pay "key" money for hyped books.

Oh and the Campbell covers...are they variants?

I dont wanna collect variants, they make my head hurt.

On 5/12/2023 at 12:18 PM, lostboys said:

Thanks.

they're not that expensive depending on grade, and if you want to stop at 441 be my guest, past that number are some meh Campbell covers and no they're not variants.

On 5/12/2023 at 10:06 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I remember when I got back into collecting and learned 430 and 431 were more valuable than the surrounding books.  Still weird to me that 1st Cosmic Carnage has some inherent value.  I mean, should that be any different than 1st Red Goblin?  They're one time shticks.

On 5/12/2023 at 1:21 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

they're not that expensive depending on grade, and if you want to stop at 441 be my guest, past that number are some meh Campbell covers and no they're not variants.

I dont want to stop but I think im reaching the end of my "Spidey money" rope.

I may have to settle...for now.

Im gonna buy a lotto ticket tonight though, so...fingers crossed!

On 5/12/2023 at 1:26 PM, ExNihilo said:

I remember when I got back into collecting and learned 430 and 431 were more valuable than the surrounding books.  Still weird to me that 1st Cosmic Carnage has some inherent value.  I mean, should that be any different than 1st Red Goblin?  They're one time shticks.

Theres a Cosmic Carnage?

Id heard about Spider Carnage but WTF is a Cosmic Carnage and why did we need one?

On 5/12/2023 at 10:29 AM, lostboys said:

Theres a Cosmic Carnage?

Id heard about Spider Carnage but WTF is a Cosmic Carnage and why did we need one?

The Carnage symbiote bonds with Silver Surfer.  Surfer is so OP that feels like something that should never be able to happen.

On 5/12/2023 at 10:30 AM, Lightning55 said:

According to keycollector, every book is a key.

I started collecting again a few years back. All I had saved from my childhood years was the McFarlane run (90s kid here).

I went the omnibus route for 1 through 192.

193 through 400, I took my time and made sure the books I added were all NM to NM+

I have graded copies + reader copies for (194, 238,  298, 299, 300, 301, 316, 361)

Maybe I should keep going past 441 but Id like to make an end before my wife hits me with a blunt object.

On 5/12/2023 at 12:34 PM, ExNihilo said:

The Carnage symbiote bonds with Silver Surfer.  Surfer is so OP that feels like something that should never be able to happen.

No harm no foul. I own them cause they're cool and inexpensive, but he asked. They may be a little more that the rest of the 41 issues haha.

All good. If they're one and done they could be one shots and probably be more collected. I like issues like that when it's somewhat pass the norm. :)

I'm not hyping it, though when I bought it is probably the same time you heard about them, when people were running out of keys to suggest, hence the app? 😂 

But ya all good, just something I knew and like. :cheers:

On 5/12/2023 at 12:40 PM, lostboys said:

I started collecting again a few years back. All I had saved from my childhood years was the McFarlane run (90s kid here).

I went the omnibus route for 1 through 192.

193 through 400, I took my time and made sure the books I added were all NM to NM+

I have graded copies + reader copies for (194, 238,  298, 299, 300, 301, 316, 361)

Maybe I should keep going past 441 but Id like to make an end before my wife hits me with a blunt object.

If those are slabs then kudos! If you mean the 41 issues you need raw? You could probably find them all for $125 after all the purchases. They're not that expensive but $20 books as opposed to the usual $5-10 depending on condition....

I mentioned them to you not to suggest them for you, but you asked what were the pricey issues, and for whatever reason those 3 are. :cheers:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 5/12/2023 at 1:42 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

If those are slabs then kudos! If you mean the 41 issues you need raw? You could probably find them all for $125 after all the purchases. They're not that expensive but $20 books as opposed to the usual $5-10 depending on condition....

I mentioned them to you not to suggest them for you, but you asked what were the pricey issues, and for whatever reason those 3 are. :cheers:

Yeah, theyll have to be NM to NM+ for me to be happy.

Im gonna keep my eyes open for complete run of 401 - 441.

I dont think I have the energy left to find them one at a time at this point.

Thanks for all yer help!

On 5/12/2023 at 1:34 PM, ExNihilo said:

That is true.

On the upside, they don't miss any. On the downside, they over-identify books as keys. If you see that the key they identified (1st appearance of some obscure character) has a high value of $2, that's a no.

I just use it as a starting point for sorting runs, looking for price spikes. Also, they clearly identify variants, with photos, which helps a bit. 

On 5/12/2023 at 1:10 PM, Lightning55 said:

That is true.

On the upside, they don't miss any. On the downside, they over-identify books as keys. If you see that the key they identified (1st appearance of some obscure character) has a high value of $2, that's a no.

I just use it as a starting point for sorting runs, looking for price spikes. Also, they clearly identify variants, with photos, which helps a bit. 

Ya I agree, but have found it helpful for quick identification, yet they are slow slow slow when it comes to a new series they add. Idk if they are trying to truly gauge the market before hand? I try to give them a benefit of the doubt.

They can have a no name first or whatever noted for major and small series, but then have nothing for the runs I "run" into, it's maddening.

It helps when it's all together but even bin diving, you have to be sure from other sources when you find something listed in the app. Still maddening lol

On 5/12/2023 at 12:26 PM, ExNihilo said:

I remember when I really started to use feeBay almost 20 years ago. At the time, I still believed the OPG actually mattered. So I couldn't understand why I not only kept losing auctions for ASM 430 and 431, but having my bids get completely blown away in those auctions. Around 10 years later, the OPG finally broke out those issues from the minimum Guide price run. meh So if anyone ever wonders why I trash the worthless waste of paper... er, OPG at every opportunity (and to be clear, that's just one example, not the entire reason), there you go. Luckily, some people selling comics were also dumb enough to believe in the OPG, so I eventually got multiple copies of both issues for quite cheap. But I haven't seen them very often period, let alone at a price even approaching cheap, in over a decade.

You'll be waiting forever. They aren't newly or briefly hyped. As I just mentioned, they're fairly consistent for two decades (though actual prices fluctuate with the larger market, like most books with any value).

There are no Campbell covers in ASM (v.1), so don't worry about it. There are a few variants in the 401-441 run, but they're nothing special.

On 5/12/2023 at 1:18 PM, lostboys said:

Thanks.

Keep in mind that Amazing Spider-man is one of the most collected comics out there. So even with speculation down, you're probably not going to see a big dip. Who knows, you might actually see more attention, as people look away from the hot book of the week and into tried-and-true books to collect.

On 5/12/2023 at 1:50 PM, lostboys said:

Yeah, theyll have to be NM to NM+ for me to be happy.

Im gonna keep my eyes open for complete run of 401 - 441.

I dont think I have the energy left to find them one at a time at this point.

Thanks for all yer help!

Post a want ad and you should have success as I just did this recently for ASM 350 to 800.