• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Tales To Astonish 92
2 2

11 posts in this topic

What do you think the small triangle shaped defect along the bottom edge of the front cover is?  It does not have the same gloss when viewed at an angle.  But it has no different feel to the fingertip.  Thanks for looking.

20230513_200350.thumb.jpg.89c021020c97375278562ca41d2390a1.jpg20230513_200426.thumb.jpg.46580235dcc19ce48e7f7f376788c276.jpg20230513_200957.thumb.jpg.9eec532e0b35425a2acae117d44162c3.jpg

Looks like some of the surface gloss was lifted. Maybe some moisture that contacted but was quickly wiped off before more damage could happen. To me, that doesn't seem like it will matter much b/c of the creasing, worn/rounded corners and light tanning of the paper. 6.5/7.0, leaning lower end, but I definitely might be unduly harsh on this one.

Books from this period are tough to find in genuinely high grade. This has the typical ragged cut along the right hand edge from the printers less than razor sharp guillotine. I wouldn't mark it down for that. Other than that it's a very decent copy. Corners no longer sharp but good gloss. I'm at 6.0 to 6.5 here. 

There's enough blunting and corner/edge wear to keep it out of the 7.0 range for me.

Edited by LowGradeBronze

Thanks, everyone, for the helpful feedback.  I had it at 6.5.  At a first quick look it appears to be around the 8.0 mark in terms of gloss, no signs of writing, tears, missing pieces, stains or long color breaks.  On closer look, there are minor short color break lines on the front cover which lower the grade to 7.0 or 7.5, and then the condition of the corners take it to 6.5.  I wasn't sure how to adjust for the triangle-shaped defect but based on the feedback I'm getting I think it would fall within the 6.5 grade.

I also did not count off for the rough cutting along the open page edge of the back because it's minor and clearly from a dull cutting edge (production issue).  It doesn't even affect the presentation value of the book.  Overall a pretty book with nice centering, strong colors, no distributor marks and hardly any spine stress issues.

The mark on the bottom is water/moisture damage. If you look at the opposite side of the front cover you can see where the "dirt" has been "washed" away, leaving a white spot. It's a very good looking book and you're right that the production issues won't affect the grade. I think your assessment of 6.5 is fair.