• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Favorite Non-Key books...

35 posts in this topic

I was just wondering what some of your guys favorite silver-age books that were non-key books and why (be it, 1st appearance of a minor character, cool cover, etc.).

Here are a few of mine:

Strange Tales 112 1st Eel appearance, dark cover

Daredevil 4 Kirby cover

Daredevil 8 1st Stilt-Man, nice cover

Daredevil 23 cool Gladiator cover

Bad time to be on a DD kick, I know (unless you already own them)

To keep with the DD theme

dd 37, 38 super- cool Dr. Doom covers

DD 43 great Captain America cover

I'll also back you up on that DD 8- what a great cover.

ASM #112 has Spidey over-looking the city. Great Romita cover

ASM #144 Gwen's boot and the great reaction by Spidey (Andru?)

ASM #151 Romita cover I think?? Spidey in the sewer

Detective #403- Great Batman by Adams

Flash #175 Black cover and has Andru art I think....

First of all I have to agree with the following previous selections:

Daredevil 23 (awesome Gladiator cover)

Daredevil 37 (great Doctor Doom cover)

Daredevil 43 (great Cap cover)

New ones:

Amazing Spider-man 123 (Luke Cage cross-over)

Hulk 144 (Hulk vs Doom cover)

Fantastic Four 120 (great black border with the first appearance of Air-walker)

Not completely sure how to define non-key, but these are cool overlooked Silver Age DC comics:

Justice League 3- great black cover; first Kanjar Ro (later Adam Strange foe)

Justice League 4- Green Arrow joins JLA

Flash 135- New Kid Flash costume

Green Lantern 6- first alien GL (Tomar Re)

Green Lantern 8- first Solar Director story; grey tone cover

Adventure Comics 347- first Jim Shooter Legion story

Superman 167- Luthor/Brainiac alliance

Batman 164- first New Look in this title (goes with Detective 327)

Cheers,

Z.

oops forgot to log in as myself-- the previous anonymous post is mine.

Other great Silver Age DC's not quite "key"

Brave & Bold 79 first Adams Batman story Deadman x-over

Adventure 369-370 first Mordru the Merciless in Legion

Teen Titans 22 first "classic" Wonder Girl costume (later seen in New T.T.)

all for now...

Z.

heh I don't really think Silver Surfer #4 with a small print run and a big appearance from Thor really qualifies as a non-key. Also, the 2nd appearance of Kingpin is kinda iffy as a "non-key" too :\

The others (with the exception of the DC's as I know nothing about them) are good though!

Brian

Just how small is the print run for SS #4 vs the other issues in the run? This book turns up in high grade on Ebay all the time. I know it's more popular and therefore slabbed at a greater rate than the other issues, but anyone wanting a copy can acquire one without a problem.

Yeah, there's a bunch of rumors around that the issue itself is not any scarcer, only that a few books from that time period found their way into dealer's hands rather than the newstand distribution system.

That's one reason why Overstreet lists it as "lower regional distribution" and not a lower print run, as some were likely scarfed up by dealers. Conan 3 is the same way, and in that case, some dealers did come forward with some cases.

In my opinion, these two books are less likely to be found in collections, yet are not really scarce and do turn up in HG from dealer hoards.

Yeh I think it's meant that it had a much lower print run then it's other counterparts..don't know why though...I don't think it's actually "scarce" just a lower print run then the other issues in the run thus making it "rarer".

Brian

No murph, I meant that the print runs were reportedly the same, but that a portion of the available supply never made it to the newstand distribution and instead went straight to dealers. This happened quite a lot back then, and I can't remember the specifics, but I think SS #4 was the start of a real movement and may have been over-bought by these neophyte dealers.

It does make sense, especially when I have seen many SS collections without #4, but I had little trouble locating it at some dealers and shows. It also pops up on EBay with regularity, while you may have to look at a few collections to find one.