• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM ASM #361 w/ Gripper (?) tear
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Hello,

Thanks for your help.  There's a spine tic at the bottom staple and tear at bottom edge. 

Is "gripper tear" the correct term to describe the rip at the bottom of this comic?

If so, it is my understanding this is considered a production flaw and is not counted very harshly toward the grade, but only up to a certain point? 

The severity of this tear looks significant.  How much does that affect the grade on this book?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

That's a gripper hole/tear. The CGC book says 8.0-9.8 so they give themselves a lot of leeway to grade on number/severity. I see something going on on the BRF edge in the gray rocks, which looks like a piece missing, but I assume it's something else? That seems to be more the determining factor here

Thank you for your reply.

BRF = bottom right front on the blue rocks?  That is a white spot on the cover.  Flat, even edge of the book there.

No pieces missing anywhere I can see.

Yeup, that's a production flaw. A very common one for this issue too. The rest of the book looks very nice though. I'd say it might stop you from getting a 9.8, since it is kinda large and the book does have a staple stress as well. However, I don't think it'll knock it out of the 9s or anything. I'd say somewhere from a 9.4 to 9.6. Leaning towards the higher end. In fact, I wouldn't be completely shocked if it came back a 9.8 anyway. It's really up to the grader to use their own discretion on things like this. If I were grading it I would probably give it a 9.6. 

If you get the book pressed to remove that staple stress (it looks non color breaking), I think you definitely have a shot at a 9.6 and maybe even a 9.8. Thanks for posting.