• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Damaged during packing or shipping?
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Looking for some advice before I reach out to CGC support tomorrow. Just got back an order of 6 modern comics and noticed that on at least 3 of the books that came back with 9.8s have what looks like an impact mark on the lower right back cover. It's most noticeable on my Batgirl #1. I graded these books as super clean 9.8s before I submitted. I had them pressed by CCS before grading just to insure 9.8s which they did in fact get. However, I think these books were dinged in their cases. The cases are fine. No marks or scratches on the case in the lower right corner to match the books damage. It looks like the damage to the book happened either during the packing process or during shipping.

The Batgirl #1 is the one I'm worried about. This is my third submission to CGC and I'm not sure what my options are. Can I get the fees for the pressing, grading and shipping back since it arrived at a high grade damaged? But then I'm stuck with what is clearly a lower grade book in a 9.8 case. Or should I send it back have it repressed and regraded? Will I have to pay for that? It doesn't appear to be color breaking so I press could fix it, but I feel like I'm looking at a 9.6 as it is now. I'm leaning towards just trying to get all my CGC fees back if that is possible.

Anyone else encounter this issue? If so, what did you do?

IMG_0671.JPG

IMG_0672.jpg

Looks like the top and bottom right corner of cover are pinched against the inner well.  They are clearly past the inner well border.  The top of book also looks to be pressing against the inner well as well.  The comic has definitely moved during shipping…..the dreaded shaken comic syndrome.  Clearly damaged during transit.  

As far as the damage to the back cover bottom, that looks to be from handling and can be pressed out.

I would contact CGC to see if they will cover the shipping and pressing out the damage.  

On 5/23/2023 at 6:26 PM, joeypost said:

My guess would be impact damage from hitting the bottom of the inner well with some force.

This 100%.  It's when the book hits the top or bottom ridge of the inner well.  This type of defect usually occurs between 1/4" and 1/2" of the corner due to the presence of a square void by the corners (perhaps to prevent corner blunting with impacts) but it causes the cover or sometimes inner pages to become indented or bent/curled back.  I'm dealing with such an issue with books shipped from a purchase.  I would expect a shipping insurance claim to resolve the matter but not sure if full value or regrade value difference would be given if it comes back in a lower grade.

On 5/23/2023 at 5:26 PM, joeypost said:

My guess would be impact damage from hitting the bottom of the inner well with some force.

I just went from six to midnight.

I just got back two books on Friday that had this exact issue.  Back cover, bottom right. Not sure why the front cover wouldn't be impacted and just the back. Maybe we were both on a cart someplace in the CGC offices that fell over?  I've sent them back in under mechanical error. Both were pressed by CGC on original submission so hoping they can sort it out with another press and reslab.

image.thumb.png.c92d21f91167bd5f57aad0922f319bd5.png

Just sent mine back yesterday under Mechanical Error after talking with customer support. I guess we'll see what they say. Interesting that several of these were from a batch of shipments sent out last week. Maybe a whole pallet of orders got dropped and caused the same damage to everyone's books? Weird.