• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would you read a comics in the form of a novel?
1 1

26 posts in this topic

Im personally a great readers of 18/19th centuries novels and i started comics just one year past, its totally new for me to read with drawing in addition. I think we will never have comics on novel form because the art is an entire part of comics and its why people like it. But just if we imagine books like that exist, can you be interested to read them? 

I specify the story would be in a totaly unknown universe for you, for exemple imagine a book telling the story of superman or batman (considering you never heard about this heroes before) would you read it or not?

Edited by BA773

A graphic novel without drawing would be a novel.  Most, if not all, Conan stories that Robert Howard have been interpreted into comics.  Other examples would be the Doc Savage , The Shadow, etc, etc.

DC has many paperbacks that were either originally in comic form or feature characters from comics.

On 5/21/2023 at 11:42 PM, shadroch said:

A graphic novel without drawing would be a novel.  Most, if not all, Conan stories that Robert Howard have been interpreted into comics.  Other examples would be the Doc Savage , The Shadow, etc, etc.

DC has many paperbacks that were either originally in comic form or feature characters from comics.

Im more confortable to write than to draw and im thinked sometimes to write a superheroes novel but i thinked there are none exemple of them and therefore deduce that will not work, but im wrong so. i will see this Conan, Doc Savage novels you speak about. 

On 5/21/2023 at 4:32 PM, BA773 said:

Im personally a great readers of 18/19th centuries novels and i started comics just one year past, its totally new for me to read with drawing in addition. I think we will never have comics on novel form because the art is an entire part of comics and its why people like it. But just if we imagine books like that exist, can you be interested to read them? 

I specify the story would be in a totaly unknown universe, it would be too easy to say yes if that was just like a spiderman or batman novel, here we start from 0, that would say you have to imagine how look liks the charachters and the landscapes during the reading. 

For sure if at the base you didn't like reading some novel you don't need to answer

There is one, I read it a lot on long car and plane trips as a kid. :cheers:

4620047_Full_Rev.jpg

On 5/21/2023 at 11:58 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

There is one, I read it a lot on long car and plane trips as a kid. :cheers:

4620047_Full_Rev.jpg

Yes but the difference here is Superman already existed when they writed this book. Did you would have read if you never heard about "the man of steel" before?! Thats the question?

On 5/21/2023 at 5:02 PM, BA773 said:

Yes but the difference here is Superman already existed when they writed this book. Did you would have read if you never heard about "the man of steel" before?! Thats the question?

Ah ya I got you, then ya conan or Dracula or or even other Dell comic books are from tales of the past. Ie Tom sawyer Gulliver travels and etc

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 5/21/2023 at 5:09 PM, BA773 said:

I edited the first post to be more understandable

I'm sure there are a lot more that eventually we're made in comics. If it's just a character that was a novel first? But I would limit it to novel form, even Mickey was other media before a comic per se, or I think pictures came 1st not sure...

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 5/21/2023 at 4:32 PM, BA773 said:

I specify the story would be in a totaly unknown universe for you, for exemple imagine a book telling the story of superman or batman (considering you never heard about this heroes before) would you read it or not?

Bare with me.

what throws me off

Mostthink the ultimate media is film. People read Harry Potter before anything else as a novel, then movie then comic. Prince Valiant may be another one to consider as it was an early comic strip.

Most don't start in film then become a novel, but maybe a comic. Any novel would probably be a flim then comic, a comic became a novel before film due to cgi restraints.

That's full circle, but I'm not sore if it is all 100% correct. But it's an interesting topic, no one would mind just discussing  :cheers:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 5/21/2023 at 5:16 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I think we will never have comics on novel form because the art is an entire part of comics and its why people like it. But just if we imagine books like that exist, can you be interested to read them? 

That's kind of what lead me down the path of my train of thought.

If that's not what you meant or if it is, you may enjoy this thread that could be considered about "novels" per SE. I'm not sure of super hero specifically that were first novels without comics, but then anime might fit that bill. And it would depend on your definition of "superhero!" As now vampires and Conan and Harry Potter are now comic superheroes...

Would you read a comics in the form of a novel?

The short answer is no.  The long answer is...

Spoiler

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. (tsk)

Comics need artwork, IMHO.

The strange thing for me is that I’m very good at analysing dialogue, motivation and symbolism in writing, the more technical side of it, but I’m extremely poor at actually visualising a scene from a text novel.  A major attraction of comics for me is not just the artwork but respecting the fact that its creators are far more gifted than I will ever be at vibrantly illustrating that world and its inhabitants, and I feel quite grateful that they can do that for me so well.  

For me, the two worlds of comic books and text novels are not interchangeable. For me, the latter feels much colder and greyer and very poorly-defined; such is my limitation.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 5/21/2023 at 11:54 PM, shadroch said:

The novel "Gladiator" came out in the early 1930s and inspired a couple of Jewish kids to create an illustrated story featuring a hero they called Superman.

And then combined it with the concept used in John Carter about originating from a higher gravity world providing greater strength in a lower gravity environment.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 5/21/2023 at 11:54 PM, shadroch said:

The novel "Gladiator" came out in the early 1930s and inspired a couple of Jewish kids to create an illustrated story featuring a hero they called Superman.

6228624.jpg

On 5/22/2023 at 12:37 AM, Ken Aldred said:

The strange thing for me is that I’m very good at analysing dialogue, motivation and symbolism in writing, the more technical side of it, but I’m extremely poor at actually visualising a scene from a text novel.  A major attraction of comics for me is not just the artwork but respecting the fact that its creators are far more gifted than I will ever be at vibrantly illustrating that world and its inhabitants, and I feel quite grateful that they can do that for me so well.  

For me, the two worlds of comic books and text novels are not interchangeable. For me, the latter feels much colder and greyer and very poorly-defined; such is my limitation.

Is exactly the advice that i tought see. The problem with a book like that for most of the people is that the folk-lore is too big and to strange to imagine in your heads and not forget it without picture.

Edited by BA773

On 5/22/2023 at 6:14 AM, BA773 said:

Is exactly the advice that i tought see. The problem with a book like that for most of the people is that the folk-lore is too big and to strange to imagine in your heads and not forget it without picture.

The weird thing is that I’m very good at analysis and comprehension of the written word, but actually constructing a complex, visual image of the environment itself from text, well, I’m quite appalling at it.  I got a top grade in English Literature because of the strength of the former, but it hid a marked deficit in the latter, in retrospect.  

I recall being quite surprised, and surprising someone else, when they said to me that you’re supposed to do this with a novel.  In my head there’s something grey, distant and sterile about any image I attempt to create;  it’s basic, simplistic.  Again, I appreciate the way comic artists can compensate for that shortcoming and bring worlds to life from a ---script.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 5/22/2023 at 10:59 AM, Ken Aldred said:

The weird thing is that I’m very good at analysis and comprehension of the written word, but actually constructing a complex, visual image of the environment itself from text, well, I’m quite appalling at it.  I got a top grade in English Literature because of the strength of the former, but it hid a marked deficit in the latter, in retrospect.  

I recall being quite surprised, and surprising someone else, when they said to me that you’re supposed to do this with a novel.  In my head there’s something grey, distant and sterile about any image I attempt to create;  it’s basic, simplistic.  Again, I appreciate the way comic artists can compensate for that shortcoming and bring worlds to life from a ----script.

Yeah its strange... its difficult to understand how you can follow the story if you cannot make pictures in your head. I love novels for the liberty that give you to imagine. And love too comics for appreciate the talent of fabulous artist. Ist 2 really different type of art, and i love both.