• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM ASM #44
2 2

11 posts in this topic

Moderate edge/corner wear w/color breaking creases, long color breaking crease from lower edge up to The Lizards lab coat, minor to moderate spine stress w/color breaking spine ticks, slight curl/crease by spine, slightly discolored staples, cover reflectivity is low w/some color loss, long crease on rear cover, slight edge wear/denting on edges of rear cover, slight foxing on rear cover.

If it were my book, I would assign a grade of VG/FN 5.0 due to the long creases, so you are in the ballpark.

5.0 VERY GOOD/FINE (VG/FN):  Back to Top
An above-average but well used comic book. An accumulation of bindery/printing defects is allowed. Minor to moderate cover wear apparent, with minor to moderate creases and/or dimples. Inks have moderate to low reflectivity. Blunted corners are increasingly common, as is minor to moderate staining, discoloration, and/or foxing. Stamped or inked arrival dates may be present. A minor to moderate spine roll is allowed. A spine split of up to 1/2" may be present. Staples may show minor discoloration. Minor staple tears and minor stress lines may also be present, as well as minor rust migration. Paper is tan to brown with no signs of brittleness. Centerfold may be loose. Minor interior tears may also be present.

On 5/25/2023 at 2:51 PM, Bmattioli86 said:

higher than 6.0

In my amateur opinion, no. You have a long color breaking crease through the Lizard's legs, more elsewhere especially the BRFC & the color-breaking spine stress lines. The cumulative length is really close to what would cap this at 6.0 just on creasing. You can certainly press out some of the indentions and spine curl, which might make it look better, but it isn't going to impact the grade that much, if at all. If you read the CGC grading book, a moderate to major defect like a long crease sets the grade. Often minor defects won't impact the grade b/c they are "allowable" at the current ceiling. I believe this is how CGC is somewhat different from other standards that may deduct for every single defect.

There is at least 1 brown blotch of some sort on the BRBC that might be a stain, so I think 5.0/5.5 with 5.5 being the max. The back could use cleaning if some of the darkness is surface soiling. 

On 5/25/2023 at 3:24 PM, scburdet said:

There is at least 1 brown blotch of some sort on the BRBC that might be a stain, so I think 5.0/5.5 with 5.5 being the max. The back could use cleaning if some of the darkness is surface soiling. 

I don’t know what brown blotch you are referring to.. but thanks for pointing everything else out. I was going to send this to a presser I am in line with but if it won’t get higher than a 6.0 it won’t be worth it and both ends of the spectrum cost wise. 

On 5/25/2023 at 3:24 PM, scburdet said:

In my amateur opinion, no. You have a long color breaking crease through the Lizard's legs, more elsewhere especially the BRFC & the color-breaking spine stress lines. The cumulative length is really close to what would cap this at 6.0 just on creasing. You can certainly press out some of the indentions and spine curl, which might make it look better, but it isn't going to impact the grade that much, if at all. If you read the CGC grading book, a moderate to major defect like a long crease sets the grade. Often minor defects won't impact the grade b/c they are "allowable" at the current ceiling. I believe this is how CGC is somewhat different from other standards that may deduct for every single defect.

Second glance I noticed the stain. Thanks for pointing this out. I think it will look fine raw in a Mylar for PC but won’t send to presser due to the color breaking lines and other things that won’t press out. 

On 5/26/2023 at 1:48 AM, SolidShredder said:

Yes, I pretty much agree with everyone on this. The book might be slightly overgraded. Maybe a 5.0 as is, but 5.5 is not unreasonable. I also think this has a ceiling of 6.0.

So with a good c/p this book has no shot at higher than a 6.0?