• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adventures of Superman #500 backwards in poly bag
2 2

27 posts in this topic

I have two copies of the Adventures of Superman #500 in white poly bags. One of them you can read the title of the book through the bag, behind the superman emblem on the bag. The other, it's backwards -- you can see the back of the book through the front of the bag. Is this more valuable? I tried googling but find no information.

The one that you can read Superman through the bag is probably how it was intended, and the norm. Those are worth $2-$10, depending where you pick them up.

The other book could be considered an error of some sort, and there are people who collect errors. I wouldn't know what the premium on that would be. It depends on whether there is any demand, or any interest at all.

On 5/27/2023 at 6:54 PM, MikeTheSpike said:

What do you mean? The polybag version is valuable? My question is, is the backwards one -- which looks like a rare manufacturing error -- more valuable than the regular copies?

Yeah, you might be able to find somebody willing to pay $2 instead of just $1!

But seriously, if anybody is dumb enough to pay a premium for that, I'll reseal all the copies I have backwards.

On 5/27/2023 at 8:45 PM, Lazyboy said:

Yeah, you might be able to find somebody willing to pay $2 instead of just $1!

But seriously, if anybody is dumb enough to pay a premium for that, I'll reseal all the copies I have backwards.

I would say the same about upside-down stamps, but people pay millions for those.

Hi Mike, Welcome to the Boards. FYI, polybags are meaningless, and have nothing to do with value of a book. It is unclear exactly what you are saying you have. If the book is bound with the cover upside down and backwards, you may have an item of interest. Otherwise, if it's just a forward-looking back cover of the book with no real oddity in its construction, it's of no particular value because of its misplacement in the bag. Cheers! :foryou:

Hello, thank you. Are you saying, it's worth exactly the same in or out of the poly bag? There are other inserts in there, too. Here are some pictures that should clarify. The first picture is the regular copy. The second, you can see the title header on the rear bottom instead of the top of the front.

PXL_20230528_022156583.jpg

PXL_20230528_022138094.jpg

If the comic had substantial value, an error/variation of this type could add a small %, something a little different, something not everyone has. Maybe appealing to a collector who is a completist. But this comic is so common, it would be hard to believe that anyone would care.

Just realised that I would have purchased my copy 30 years ago. Good Grief! And the GCD says:-

Came in white plastic bag with Superman 'S' logo and a Bloodlines promotional trading card. One researcher has calculated there were at least 3.45 million copies printed.

On 5/28/2023 at 2:27 PM, themagicrobot said:

Just realised that I would have purchased my copy 30 years ago. Good Grief! And the GCD says:-

Yeah, there was a lot of speculation that time. Trying to make something a collector's item ironically makes it not so much...I think I'll put it up on ebay and see if there's any offers, can't hurt.

If there are two million bagged copies with it properly inserted, and a half dozen copies with it facing backward, I suspect someone will be willing to pay a premium.

The P.O. and Mints have multiple Quality control checkpoints and few errors escape into the wild.   Comic printers have few quality control checks and many errors escape. 

You might have a rarity. What you now need is a couple of people who want it. 

On 5/28/2023 at 6:35 PM, shadroch said:

If there are two million bagged copies with it properly inserted, and a half dozen copies with it facing backward, I suspect someone will be willing to pay a premium.

The P.O. and Mints have multiple Quality control checkpoints and few errors escape into the wild.   Comic printers have few quality control checks and many errors escape. 

You might have a rarity. What you now need is a couple of people who want it. 

Do you have any idea how easy it is to reseal bags like this?

On 5/28/2023 at 11:08 PM, Lightning55 said:

I have 6 cases that I know of, plus probably a few hundred copies in white coffins (long boxes). Still waiting for the uptick. 

It would be interesting to see if any of them are reversed like this. I have two so 50% of mine are, haha.

I mean there is a collector for everything. But that comic itself has little value. The fact that someone put it the wrong way into the bag isn’t really a factor in anything because the value for that issues is the fact they sometimes people pay more for the fact it’s still in the bag. How it’s in the bag is virtually irrelevant.

Now I am sure a collector exists that finds this funny or unique and worth having but are they willing to pay $5 more? $10 more? Double or triple the value? Maybe a smidge more like $5 but beyond that i doubt it