• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can a Copper Age book have loose staples and still maybe get a 9.6?
3 3

14 posts in this topic

I wouldn't call a book with even very minor staple tears or looseness a 9.6, no matter how nice the rest of the book was.  If I were grading it, probably max grade would be a 9.2.  Those staples are the only thing holding the book together.  If one of those pulls, it's a steep dive down to 5.0 land.  2c

On 5/31/2023 at 8:39 AM, lostboys said:

The inside dances up and down inside the cover ever so slightly?

Some books have loose staples from production. Do you have a picture of the book? That would be the easiest way to determine if would get a grade reduction due to the staples. 

VF 8.0 is the 1st mention of loose staples/centerfold/cover.

NM/MT 9.8 -  Spine is tight and flat. Staples must be original, generally centered and clean with no rust.

NM+ 9.6 - Spine is tight and flat. Staples must be original, generally centered, with only the slightest discoloration.

NM 9.4 - Spine is tight and flat. Staples are generally centered; may have slight discoloration.

NM- 9.2 - Spine is tight and flat. Staples may show some discoloration.

VF/NM 9.0 - Spine is tight and flat. Staples may show some discoloration. Only the slightest staple tears are allowed.

FN/VF 7.0 - VF 8.0 - Staples may show some discoloration. Very slight staple tears. Centerfold is mostly secure. 

VG/FN 5.0 - FN 6.0 - Centerfold may be loose.

GD/VG 3.0 - VG 4.0 -  Centerfold may be loose or detached at one staple.

On 5/31/2023 at 11:20 AM, marvelmaniac said:

VF 8.0 is the 1st mention of loose staples/centerfold/cover.

NM/MT 9.8 -  Spine is tight and flat. Staples must be original, generally centered and clean with no rust.

NM+ 9.6 - Spine is tight and flat. Staples must be original, generally centered, with only the slightest discoloration.

NM 9.4 - Spine is tight and flat. Staples are generally centered; may have slight discoloration.

NM- 9.2 - Spine is tight and flat. Staples may show some discoloration.

VF/NM 9.0 - Spine is tight and flat. Staples may show some discoloration. Only the slightest staple tears are allowed.

FN/VF 7.0 - VF 8.0 - Staples may show some discoloration. Very slight staple tears. Centerfold is mostly secure. 

VG/FN 5.0 - FN 6.0 - Centerfold may be loose.

GD/VG 3.0 - VG 4.0 -  Centerfold may be loose or detached at one staple.

Staples can have discoloration on a 9.6?...as in rust? :whatthe:

I have the book at home but I didnt see any tears around the staples.

It looks more like the top staple is deeper into the book than it should be and it moves around slightly.

I guess, as JoeyP said, it "could" be production related.

The book is Wolverine #10 so its not a big money book.

I can probably buy a 9.6 for $100 but im getting a batch ready to send off to CGC and since I already have this copy I figured id send it in.

I just dont want it to come back a 9.2 because of the loose staple.

They are all just for my personal collection.

On 5/31/2023 at 6:37 PM, lostboys said:

It looks more like the top staple is deeper into the book than it should be and it moves around slightly.

Discolouration isn't necessarily rust, yet. Just dull from exposure to moisture in the air, slight oxidation.

If the top staple looks deeper than it should be, but book looks otherwise 9.8 could it have been badly pressed? A pic would help.

On 5/31/2023 at 1:56 PM, LowGradeBronze said:

Discolouration isn't necessarily rust, yet. Just dull from exposure to moisture in the air, slight oxidation.

If the top staple looks deeper than it should be, but book looks otherwise 9.8 could it have been badly pressed? A pic would help.

I bought a raw run of Wolvie 1-10 on Ebay a few years ago.

I dont think they are pressed but who knows.

The bottom staple is where it should be but the top staple is almost over the $ in the price box.

Ive been checking out other copies on Ebay today and i see a few with the same staple placement.