• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grade is in: ABRAXAS #1 (fanzine)
2 2

12 posts in this topic

File this in my "going down a rabbit hole & then finding someone actually has one for sale" collection. Not a ton of information out there, but this fanzine appears to be the first published work, or earliest published work that still exists, by Walt Simonson. A little information here: https://gobacktothepast.com/fabulous-find-abraxas-1-fanzine/ & Walt tweeted about this before, but I think misidentified it as a copy of "The Outsiders", a URI fanzine for which I can find no copies, scans or sells (the ebay link from >4 years ago is dead). I presume the Outsiders thing exists somewhere b/c it's listed in the GCD. Walt is visiting a con close to me this summer....

Cover is a heavier cardstock. Paper is a bit thick. This inside of the back cover (Batman) has a "400" in red that might be an indicator of which copy of a smaller print run this is, IDK. Remarkably clean & white for a fanzine that's >50 years old. Cover is not described, but looks like Mephisto 

PXL_20230603_190020191.jpg

PXL_20230603_190050226.jpg

PXL_20230603_190202816.jpg

PXL_20230603_190515738.jpg

PXL_20230603_190027278.jpg

Edited by scburdet

A 9.0 with no Grader Notes. Thanks CGC. Makes it hard to learn. This was one of the fanzines I wasn't convinced they would grade b/c it was obscure and not much data available about its provenance, so I'm glad regardless. Got this signed in person too. Walt started to sign it on the inside ??? but I was able to get that fixed. I wouldn't have minded the signature being bigger and/or in something other than black. He was splitting his time doing sketch for people, and prioritizing the sketches. He was doing them for donations to the Heroes Initiative, so he was very busy b/c the ask was not much. I definitely put more in the jar than the suggestion of $2 or whatever they were asking for.

PXL_20231018_011803247.jpg

On 6/3/2023 at 3:59 PM, scburdet said:

File this in my "going down a rabbit hole & then finding someone actually has one for sale" collection. Not a ton of information out there, but this fanzine appears to be the first published work, or earliest published work that still exists, by Walt Simonson. A little information here: https://gobacktothepast.com/fabulous-find-abraxas-1-fanzine/ & Walt tweeted about this before, but I think misidentified it as a copy of "The Outsiders", a URI fanzine for which I can find no copies, scans or sells (the ebay link from >4 years ago is dead).

Resurrecting this older thread with some background info for you. Abraxas #1 is actually a reprint of Walt's first comic, which was indeed called The Outsiders. The inside front cover of your magazine is a modified version of the original's back cover, which is where it's identified as The Outsiders. The first issue was published in 1971, the second in 1972. Abraxas #1 was published between the two issues. The original comics are much smaller than Abraxas, something like 6"x9".

Source: I have both comics, and I was also friends with the writer, Gerry Boudreau, who also did work for DC, Gold Key, and Warren in the 70s.

I also have a mimeographed promotional flyer Rickey Shanklin created for the magazine.

the_outsiders_(1971)_001_001.jpg

the_outsiders_(1971)_001_016.jpg

the_outsiders_(1972)_002_001.jpg

abraxis_flyer_1972.jpg

Edited by stock_rotation

On 10/17/2023 at 8:41 PM, scburdet said:

A 9.0 with no Grader Notes. Thanks CGC. Makes it hard to learn. This was one of the fanzines I wasn't convinced they would grade b/c it was obscure and not much data available about its provenance, so I'm glad regardless. Got this signed in person too. Walt started to sign it on the inside ??? but I was able to get that fixed. I wouldn't have minded the signature being bigger and/or in something other than black. He was splitting his time doing sketch for people, and prioritizing the sketches. He was doing them for donations to the Heroes Initiative, so he was very busy b/c the ask was not much. I definitely put more in the jar than the suggestion of $2 or whatever they were asking for.

PXL_20231018_011803247.jpg

Congrats, this is very cool

On 1/10/2024 at 8:34 PM, stock_rotation said:

I have both comics

Cool. It would not surprise me if you owned one of the few existing copies. I never seen any sales & I believe only 1 scan of a cover (2nd issue?). It would be great for an electronic version to be archived somewhere like the Internet Archive. I did discover that at least one fanzine appears to pre-date all of these. Gore Creatures 18 from 1970 has a double cover, both by WS. It would not surprise me if there was something that pre-dated this, it's just that the records are spotty at best.