• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EBay returns for shipping damage
1 1

13 posts in this topic

I do a fair amount of purchasing of raw books on eBay, and luckily I’ve never had to return anything due to shipping issues…until now.

8 books took a massive edge shot during shipping, resulting in crushed corners on all 8 books. I took an unwrapping video and multiple pictures.

My question is: how exactly should I proceed? A massive amount of the value on these books has been lost. Should I just initiate the return or contact the seller first? Just want to make sure I do this right.

Some pictures below (it was a NM+ Aliens 1st print set from 1988, another 1st print #1, and one other book. #1 and #2-6 of the set would have all been 9.8 contenders 😭. Needless to say, I’m a bit bummed.)

IMG_5591.jpeg

IMG_5592.jpeg

IMG_5595.jpeg

IMG_5599.jpeg

Were the books boxed or were they stuck between a couple pieces of cardboard, and then stuffed into a flimsy, plastic envelope? 

So sad, and easily preventable. 

Edited by Artifiction

On 6/7/2023 at 10:29 PM, Artifiction said:

Were the books boxed or were they stuck between a couple pieces of cardboard, and then stuffed into a flimsy, plastic envelope? 

So sad, and easily preventable. 

No envelope but the cardboard was cut to fix a small box, so it was literally just painters tape holding the books together and securing them to two pieces of cardboard on top and bottom with like a half inch of breathing room on any given edge.

Books were just not secured well enough. A dropped box meant the force would go straight through the box to the cardboard “sandwich”. Makes you really appreciate the design of Gemini mailers and the like. Also, bubble wrap…

I expected more, especially considering it was being shipped across the border. A real bummer to discover.

On 6/8/2023 at 1:25 AM, davidking623 said:

Gemini Mailers are not perfect either lets face it your using less cardboard weight to Comic Book weight . Sure Gemini Mailers work really good but unfortunately there is always the X Factor , the mailmen .

Very true lol. And yeah geminis are def a little flimsy. I always try to use some kind of insulating material like peanuts or bubble wrap so if there is a drop the impact is at least partially absorbed before it gets to the books

On 6/8/2023 at 10:13 AM, MR. Pontoon said:

Who was the seller? Does he have a lengthy ebay history?

Not trying to burn anyone. Didn’t have a lengthy history, but it was all positive. And they’ve been super apologetic and helpful. They offered me a discount or full refund on return, which I accepted.

Mainly posted to make sure I was doing it right, since I haven’t had to make a return before.

Appreciate all the feedback though!

I have done a lot of USPS damage claims on slabbed books damaged in the mail.

One of the requirements is to attach proof of the fair market value which is easy for slabbed books since there is a grade assigned from a third party (CGC) and a screenshot from Gocollect or GPA suffices.It would be difficult to establish an FMV that USPS would accept for raw books since many would disagree on the grade and value of a raw book.

Also, USPS will reject the damage claim twice automatically and only offer a settlement on the second and final appeal (at least whoever reviews the Orlando, FL claims).

Perhaps someone here on the boards has had success on a USPS damage claim on raw books but I would DEFINITELY accept a refund from the seller. I think he/she will have a hard time trying to get payment from a USPS damage claim on raw books.

On 6/8/2023 at 10:28 AM, Nsschenks said:

Not trying to burn anyone. Didn’t have a lengthy history, but it was all positive. And they’ve been super apologetic and helpful. They offered me a discount or full refund on return, which I accepted.

Mainly posted to make sure I was doing it right, since I haven’t had to make a return before.

Appreciate all the feedback though!

toronto.vintage.comics?

On 6/8/2023 at 11:39 AM, PickleRick1216 said:

I have done a lot of USPS damage claims on slabbed books damaged in the mail.

One of the requirements is to attach proof of the fair market value which is easy for slabbed books since there is a grade assigned from a third party (CGC) and a screenshot from Gocollect or GPA suffices.It would be difficult to establish an FMV that USPS would accept for raw books since many would disagree on the grade and value of a raw book.

Also, USPS will reject the damage claim twice automatically and only offer a settlement on the second and final appeal (at least whoever reviews the Orlando, FL claims).

Perhaps someone here on the boards has had success on a USPS damage claim on raw books but I would DEFINITELY accept a refund from the seller. I think he/she will have a hard time trying to get payment from a USPS damage claim on raw books.

Yep the return has already been initiated for a full refund. I’m sending back the original packing material as a courtesy, though I doubt they’ll have any luck (it was delivered with USPS but was sent Canada Post—multiple carriers probably means no way of proving who was at fault, and they’ll prob both claim packaging was insufficient). Still, figured it was a nice gesture.

Regardless, I am getting my money back. No enmity toward the seller at all. The postal carrier that dropped my package, however…😡