• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Punisher art and Marvel's actions
3 3

86 posts in this topic

On 6/16/2023 at 8:46 PM, cbaileypacker said:

For those that did not read the book, Marvel did not kill the Punisher.  

Reveal hidden contents

booked ended with Frank not dead but sent to Weird World, and is protecting a group of kids, while his resurrected wife is pregnant with his new baby.

They left it wide open for more Frank. 🤷‍♂️

Long live the Punisher. 💀 

IMG_7504.thumb.jpeg.dde5be47cf4a93c5c4ffc68bebc3e412.jpeg

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1731584

This cover always reminded me of James Bond. I can’t remember which movie had Roger Moore skiing and fighting bad guys. Sure enough, Joe Jusko wrote somewhere Bond indeed inspired this one. 

How do you store or display this large art, cbailey?

And here’s Jusko sketching the Punisher while wearing a Punisher skull T-Shirt💀🤘

On 6/17/2023 at 9:31 AM, artdisease said:

The Frank Miller Punisher arrived yesterday. I was expecting it to be big, but it's huge. The image is 16x21, but the board is 20x30. Looks amazing in person 

Congratulations. That’s a nice surprise. This one must be going on the wall then. 

On 6/17/2023 at 4:12 AM, KirbyCollector said:

I would say the original character we all knew is well and truly dead, yes. You forgot to add his wife was resurrected as a plot device to condemn Frank for all of the violence he did in her name (!). Marvel wanted to not only divorce the character from his origin, but destroy it completely. The irony is the same set of circumstances (a rise in violent crime in the US) which led Marvel to create the Punisher in the 70s are here once again, a perfect setting for the character... yet Marvel has turned him into some joke long form story which makes no sense at all. Weird World, indeed.

Yeah, not happy with his use lately, but even Marvel knows they cant kill the Punisher 😎.  I stay optimistic that at least he's a comic book character, so eventually he can be right back on track with just one story.

A friend had recently suggested Marvel have the Punisher take back his own mission and symbol?  Essentially Franks a killer that cant copyright his own logo, so have it get copyrighted by a private security/military/whatever corporation that starts committing atrocities with his brand, and he has to TAKE IT BACK!.  (to bad that now its been suggested publicly in writing, wont ever happen)😆🤣

On 6/17/2023 at 12:44 PM, John E. said:

This cover always reminded me of James Bond. I can’t remember which movie had Roger Moore skiing and fighting bad guys. Sure enough, Joe Jusko wrote somewhere Bond indeed inspired this one. 

The Spy Who Loved Me, For Your Eyes Only and A View to a Kill all had Roger Moore ski fighting sequences.

But it was For Your Eyes Only that had one at a resort that most resembles the Punisher cover. 

Edited by delekkerste

Didn't even last 45 days. Whole thing was and is nothing more than standard planned comic book business machinations. I do hope those who whined feel at least a little bit silly.

https://www.cbr.com/marvel-who-is-punisher-teaser/

https://static1.cbrimages.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2023/07/who-is-the-punisher.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&dpr=1.5

Looks like a cool update to me. BTW, I've been a fan of the character since Cap 241, which was the first image of the Punisher I ever saw.

Edited by MAR1979

On 7/14/2023 at 7:27 PM, MAR1979 said:

Didn't even last 45 days. Whole thing was and is nothing more than standard planned comic book business machinations. I do hope those who whined feel at least a little bit silly.

https://static1.cbrimages.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2023/07/who-is-the-punisher.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&dpr=1.5

Looks like a cool update to me. BTW, I've been a fan of the character since Cap 241, which was the first image of the Punisher I ever saw.

Whined? Silly? No, just the usual tired and disappointed. I'm watching as the comic companies and Disney spit on some of the most cherished memories I have as a kid, and it isn't fun.

On 7/14/2023 at 9:36 PM, KirbyCollector said:

Whined? Silly? No, just the usual tired and disappointed. I'm watching as the comic companies and Time-Warner spit on some of the most cherished memories I have as a kid, and it isn't fun.

It's why many including myself stopped collecting new stuff on Sept 1 2011 aka Didiot day.

Edited by MAR1979

On 7/14/2023 at 7:27 PM, MAR1979 said:

Who is the Punisher? I just read the thread wow had no idea. This ad makes me think, by asking, it won’t be the real punisher? Just weird all around. Frank was always fun to read, just pure aggression and Justice. I also really loved the Netflix first series and the fight scene in the prison. I hope that for future fans they don’t go away from his true origin and character makeup, he was almost perfect.

On 7/14/2023 at 10:33 PM, MAR1979 said:

It's why many including myself stopped collecting new stuff on Sept 1 2011 aka Didiot day.

Thanks for reminding me... ugh... nothing like turning wonderful, historic characters into parodies just because they could... Hey! Let's make the original Green Lantern gay to check a box, or something... Neither company has learned anything in the last 12 years, unless their goal was to shrink readership to nothing. They are making good progress on that, no doubt.

On 7/14/2023 at 6:27 PM, MAR1979 said:

:sumo:

:slapfight:

Notice the weapons aren’t assault-style guns anymore and the “skull” is integrated into the costume as parts and not easily replicated as a windshield decal. Whatever this “Who is” is, it isn’t the traditional Punisher but a Disnification of him. 

@KirbyCollector

Are you teetering on the ledge?  :cry:Another Comic Book Character to be killed never ever to be seen again or for 45 days whichever comes first.

Marvel Announces The Death of Moon Knight
https://www.cbr.com/death-of-moon-knight-marvel/

On July 17, Marvel Comics announced the upcoming death of a fan-favorite character in writer Jed MacKay and artist Allesandro Cappuccio's upcoming "The Last Days of Moon Knight" storyline.

Edited by MAR1979

On 7/17/2023 at 6:46 PM, MAR1979 said:

@KirbyCollector

Are you teetering on the ledge?  :cry:Another Comic Book Character to be killed never ever to be seen again or for 45 days whichever comes first.

On July 17, Marvel Comics announced the upcoming death of a fan-favorite character in writer Jed MacKay and artist Allesandro Cappuccio's upcoming "The Last Days of Moon Knight" storyline.

As they did with Ms Marvel who’s now returning as a mutant :eyeroll: The common thread here is that Ms Marvel and Moon Knight both have Disney+ shows hm. With the Punisher (who had a Netflix show), the comics didn’t kill-kill him, but I think Disney-Marvel want to strip him of his status quo that made them uncomfortable. Happy 50th anniversary, Frank. 

On 7/17/2023 at 7:47 PM, MAR1979 said:

IMHO on a character like the Punisher wearing spandex was absurd from the 1970's git-go. 

Superman was brought back with a mullet, nothing and I repeat NOTHING in main stream comics is more offensive than that.  

Ironically, I gravitate toward pages with the Punisher in spandex :x Although I understand the practicality of the urban tactical gear look, I can not stand it. I think that’s when things got problematic—when Punisher donned the tactical gear so commonly seen worn by mass-casualty event perpetrators. The black and white spandex at least dialed it down like a parody. Much like the purple pants of the Hulkster.

But to your point, back in our day :preach: heroes stayed dead a year or two.

On 7/17/2023 at 7:46 PM, MAR1979 said:

@KirbyCollector

He's died multiple times since part of his power is being brought back until his mind can't take being killed an brought back anymore. Though not unexpected. Probably are doing this because they want people to like the Hunter's Moon character they added and are incorporating the Scarlet Scarab character from the show into the comics. Using old IPs to push newer ones.  

On 7/17/2023 at 7:44 PM, John E. said:

As they did with Ms Marvel who’s now returning as a mutant :eyeroll: The common thread here is that Ms Marvel and Moon Knight both have Disney+ shows hm. With the Punisher (who had a Netflix show), the comics didn’t kill-kill him, but I think Disney-Marvel want to strip him of his status quo that made them uncomfortable. Happy 50th anniversary, Frank. 

Are they rebooting Kamala with powers to match the "solid light" she has on the Disney+ TV show? Those were taken from another character, Sapheara, a hearing-impaired heroine who appeared in a one-shot that Marvel published in 2014 for the Children's Hearing Institute, to teach kids about their cochlear implants. Here's the splash from that, to bring the topic back around to original art.

image.thumb.jpeg.39757168875f7e7d6983154be46c2193.jpeg

On 7/17/2023 at 8:47 PM, MAR1979 said:

Superman was brought back with a mullet, nothing and I repeat NOTHING in main stream comics is more offensive than that.  

I skipped the whole Death of Superman thing.  But I think (at least) they tried to introduce other characters (Reign of the Supermen: Steel, Superboy, Eradicator, Cyborg Superman).  I mean, there was even that Steel movie with Shaquille O'Neal.

Superman, the Character that in effect inspired the entire super-hero genre has been treated very very poorly in the comics for most of my lifetime.

-  Late 1980's; rendered flaccid power-wise by Byrne.
- 1993; "Killed off" for a full year - not 30-40 days, a full year!
- 1994; brought back with a Mullet. A frickin' Mullet!!!  The height of indignity.
-  late 1990's; Classic costume and powers taken away for over a year. Character becomes pure energy or some tripe and starts wearing an electric blue outfit and or crimson red jumper - WTF?
-  Sept 1 2011; The total dee-bag Superman (characterization) is born. Classic costume gone for many many years and changed to an abomination + insult to American pop-culture. A costume and characterization change that served merely to stroke the universal sized ego's and tiny u know whats of Jim Lee, Geoff Johns, and Dan Didio.

So puhlease no more whining about the Punisher, as the medium itself exists as we know it due to the Superman Character.  The same character who has been treated like excrement for 4 decades!

P.S. The rule should be; If no mullet, then no whining!

Edited by MAR1979