• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Asking artist for sketch and signature
1 1

6 posts in this topic

I have seen books with sketches by artists on the cover. I was wondering what it the protocol with asking an artist for a sketch? I feel it would not be a good time to ask when in line at a convention unless the artist has prices shown for sketches. Thanks for your feedback. 

Consider finding the artist on social media and sending them a message asking about the preferred process of that specific artist.

Yes, most of them will have a sign on their table somewhere listing their prices for different types of sketches. If they don’t there’s no harm in asking “do you do sketches?” Worst they can say is no. You can ask them any time they’re at their table just don’t interrupt anybody already there. A lot of times they’ll have a handler or booth person who you can ask and will coordinate the process. Like the person above said, some artists don’t mind if you contact them on their website or social media in which case you usually pay them upfront (weeks before the con) to guarantee your drawing and then either pick it up at the show or find them there and set up what you want on the spot. 

I've done a couple at conventions and they are accommodating if time permits. Had one from Joe Rubenstein that he took a deposit and then it took about a year. Also had him send to CGC for Signature Series. Depends on what you are looking for an dhow long to wait. 

I was thinking of having the artist sketch on the front of one of my comic books. I figured it may not take that long because the sketch will have to be small. I wonder how a sketch could be done on top of a book that already has been graded for signature series. I wonder if CGC facilitator will allow me to transfer the book to the artist in order for them to sketch? 

On 6/12/2023 at 9:35 PM, golfplyr said:

I was thinking of having the artist sketch on the front of one of my comic books. I figured it may not take that long because the sketch will have to be small. I wonder how a sketch could be done on top of a book that already has been graded for signature series. I wonder if CGC facilitator will allow me to transfer the book to the artist in order for them to sketch? 

ask your facilitator what the process would be for that.  Theoretically should be possible, but logistics may constrain you.  If you pay enough cash, I'm sure it can be done.