• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First time using CGC. What is happening?
1 1

3 posts in this topic

I was at Megacon Orlando on March 30-Apr 2.  I saw that CGC was there taking in books for grading.  I even joined their high membership tier.

On the 31st, I brought in 6 Comics to be graded.  Two from the show and 4 of my own.

Here is what happened. Keep in mind, all handed in on the same day!:

1.  I thought submission times were approximately 30 business days.   It has now been 75 days.  HELP!

2.  Why did it take 3 weeks difference to get comics to the facility if they were submitted on the same day?  Even the submission numbers are in sequence.to the facility

BTW, I did send a request through the website for status update last week but have not gotten a response.

The first two comics Both Modern - :

CGC5004093230
SUBMISSION NUMBER - 4237214
Received date to facility-- 4/12/23
MODERN
Date shipped out to me - 4/24/23. And I did receive it in early May.

Now look at the other 4 which were silver age I still not have seen:

CGC5004093230
SUBMISSION NUMBER - 4237213
Received at facility almost a month after the first 2 -  5/2/23
ECONOMY
STATUS - This is where we are on June 12th!----   Grading/Encapsulation/Imaging

You should post this in the Ask CGC forum, representatives read there and will reach out to help you. Don’t bother with the CGC help email, it’s worthless and they never answer it. I was at Megacon and got my books back like a month later so something weird is up with yours. Maybe the fact you submitted Silver age books and that tier is way more backlogged than Modern is all I can think. Anyway use Ask CGC and good luck.

The clock for turnaround times doesn't start until the books are entered into the system.

There are two types of "received" at CGC.  One is the type where you ship a book and USPS/FedEx drops it off.  Your package is held, unopened and waiting to be entered in the system.  In the past, this would create a lot of consternation amongst customers as there was a HUGE gap between when the tracking numbers would show as delivered versus when CGC actually entered your books in the system.  As a result, CGC created a package delivery tracker of their own that simply indicates the box was received at their facility.

The second type of "received" (and the more important one) is when your books are actually entered into the system.  Like I said, this is when your estimated time starts counting.  I currently see it's 30 business days for new submissions.  We're currently on day 29, nevermind that it's an estimate and could take longer.

As for why it took them an extra month to enter your Silver Age books, I have no idea.  You'd think it'd all get put in on the same day.  Con season screws up a lot of stuff.  It's possible they simply entered all moderns from the con first and then went back and entered the rest later.  No one knows.  The key to CGC submissions is patience.  You just need to acknowledge that your books are going to be out of your hands for a long time.