• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Benson and Hedges Cigarette Comics Promotion 1970's

3 posts in this topic

When I was a kid I remember a promotion sponsored by Benson and Hedges cigarettes. This was back in the days when tobacco advertising was much more creative and less legislated, of course. One of the promotions was for prizes in increments of 100's. I don't remember whether the number of golden age comics offered was 100 or 101, it had to do with the length of the cigarette. I think that the cigarettes were packaged with gold-colored foil, so they were offering several kinds of collectibles that had some kind of wordplay with "gold". The cool thing was that among other prizes were "100 old comics - pure gold". Does anyone else out in cyberspace remember this promotion, and (more of a longshot), does anyone know who the lucky winner was? I forced my mom and dad to switch to Benson and Hedges for the short time of the promotion so I could enter the contest. I didn't win, and all that happened was perpetuation of my parents' nicotine habit. Oh well, I still remember being thrilled at the prospect of obtaining a "golden age comic". At the time, the earliest comic I could find was an old Raggedy Ann Four Color from 1946 or so, so the prospect of a stack of 100 was almost more than I could bear.

I remember that contest. I was in junior high at the time. I wondered then, and I still wondered what comics were included in the prize. Back then, even keys were relatively cheap. Compared to the values of the other prizes, was there a Sup or Action 1? Whiz 1? Ducks were pricey then relative to other comics. I figured it would always be a mystery, but it was the food of a young comic geek's fantasy.