• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC and their special colors from the late sixties, early seventies
1 1

31 posts in this topic

On 7/1/2023 at 2:47 PM, Aman619 said:

Nothing for the buck.  The difference in yellow is not that much is what I’m saying.  Like ordering a higher weave for your sheets for an extra cost you feel,isn’t worth it. Some thing like that 

Regardless of your opinion of value, the colors are different enough that I noticed them, started collecting them, and can identify which covers used the process based on appearance alone. In other words, there is a meaningful difference. I thought it was the style of one colorist, but Greg Wright said several used the method at DC. That said, most of the comics I've bought from this group were colored by Jack Adler. I was surprised when I finally saw a list of the covers he colored and saw how close it was to the comics I'd bought in this group.

Edited by paqart

Of course they are better!  Cool your jets. From a cost basis comics publishers put quality production  far down the list.  I am questioning the solutions proposed from a printing standpoint. 

On 7/1/2023 at 12:46 AM, paqart said:

Here is Mark Evanier's official answer to my question to him about this

You can hardly go wrong asking Mark about most anything comic related.

On 7/4/2023 at 11:21 PM, paqart said:

Am I the only person who collects these covers for their coloring? I was hoping to see some covers I hadn't seen before from other collectors.

I confess I'm not really seeing what you're seeing in all of your cover examples.  (shrug) The Detective #400 is truly great with the lighting effects and the moon's reflection on the water.  But I'm missing what is so special about the Rima, Tarzan and Mister Miracle examples?  For example, is it the blue/green gradient effect on the water in Mister Miracle #12?  Or something else I'm missing?

mm12gradient.thumb.jpg.aa6e14d5e84aae6829b2650ff17d5dfc.jpg

On 7/6/2023 at 8:54 AM, Zonker said:

I confess I'm not really seeing what you're seeing in all of your cover examples.  (shrug) The Detective #400 is truly great with the lighting effects and the moon's reflection on the water.  But I'm missing what is so special about the Rima, Tarzan and Mister Miracle examples?  For example, is it the blue/green gradient effect on the water in Mister Miracle #12?  Or something else I'm missing?

mm12gradient.thumb.jpg.aa6e14d5e84aae6829b2650ff17d5dfc.jpg

I'm not sure how to describe this in words. It's like trying to verbally describe how Carl Barks' drawings differ from Don Rosa. With him, if there is any doubt in my mind, it is Rosa (or someone else), not Barks. Thanks to Gregory Wright, I know that the cover coloring that I like so much at DC were colored using a modified method. It doesn't mean the method alone made them good. The colorist who utilized the expanded options is reponsible for that. It all comes down to color choices, which are better, thanks to options not present for colorists before or since.

On 7/6/2023 at 6:42 PM, SSSnake said:

You have to look down your nose more to see it.

I'm not sure how that would help. I've noticed this difference since I was a kid and always wondered about it. Now I have an explanation and know it can be linked to a definite change in the way coloring was done at DC for a few years.

On 7/10/2023 at 8:55 AM, Super Team United said:

lol

If you say that someone looks down their nose at something or someone, you mean that they believe they are superior to that person or thing and treat them with disrespect.

Exactly! I don't see how that improves anything.