• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Max grade for a book with foxing/mold on cover?
1 1

10 posts in this topic

I was looking at a book at Heroes Con today. Dealer has it graded as a 7.5, but the cover looks like it has mold along the upper right edge. I did not inspect the interior or peer thru the pages.
I may go back and make an offer on it tomorrow… just not sure how much to downgrade it with the mold/stain showing.

It doesn’t look like a dust shadow. And I definitely saw spots along the page edges.

I think I’ve seen a CGC 5.0 for a book with mold on the cover, but not a grade higher.

IMG_6529_Original.jpeg

IMG_6528_Original.jpeg

Won't pretend to be an expert here, but GA books get a slightly more lenient eye when being graded. At CGC anyway as far as I can tell from these boards. Frankly I wouldn't argue the grade with the seller. It's a pretty nice looking copy and you have to expect some age related defects with a book this old. I would explore the price angle without querying the assigned grade. Otherwise it can look like you're saying the seller can't grade or is trying to deceive. Not the best start to any trade you want to come off well from. Hope you work out a deal, it's a handsome book!

Really appreciate both responses. I certainly don’t mean to low-ball the dealer… I’ve purchased from him several times in the past and have agreed with his grading. I just wasn’t familiar with that type of defect appearing in higher grades. @zzutak Thanks for sharing those examples. 

He has another book I’m interested in, and I think I may save a little bit more by making an offer on the pair.

Here is the highest grade I've seen with what I would call substantial foxing. Personally I don't agree with the grade, but if you're only asking about CGC standards then it's clear that you can get to VF/NM with heavy foxing. If I was buying a book like this I'd be willing to pay much less than if it was the same book in the same grade but with spine ticks, creasing etc bringing the grade down. 

TrueCrime3.jpeg

On 6/17/2023 at 6:59 AM, gumption said:

I was looking at a book at Heroes Con today. Dealer has it graded as a 7.5, but the cover looks like it has mold along the upper right edge. I did not inspect the interior or peer thru the pages.
I may go back and make an offer on it tomorrow… just not sure how much to downgrade it with the mold/stain showing.

It doesn’t look like a dust shadow. And I definitely saw spots along the page edges.

I think I’ve seen a CGC 5.0 for a book with mold on the cover, but not a grade higher.

IMG_6529_Original.jpeg

IMG_6528_Original.jpeg
This may be considered a serious defect that affects the collectibility and commercial value of the book. The valuation may also depend on the rarity of the book and its demand in the market. I once used assignment writing services where they explained this to me, I found  https://assignmentbro.com/ca/assignment-writing-services for this. You may want to contact a qualified rare book appraiser or antiquarian book dealer. Listen to the answer from many before you sell.

A book with mildew or blemishes on the cover will generally receive a low maximum score. The appearance of mold on a book cover can greatly deteriorate its condition and appearance.

Edited by estrellmamone2

This video pretty much tells you that grading a book with staining/foxing/discoloration is very subjective (lots of Grey areas) and is handled on a book by book basis, it tells me that  grading a book with any of these defects could change day to day, grader to grader, however, Foxing is not removable.

On 6/16/2023 at 11:59 PM, gumption said:

IMG_6529_Original.jpeg

IMG_6528_Original.jpeg

Even though foxing is generally classified as a type of mold, there can be differences in the color and severity of foxing and other types of mold. In this case, the mold appears to be darker in nature than normal foxing, which is usually rust colored, not dark brown or black. 

If you're going to handle a book with dark mold, I'd personally recommend wearing gloves. Inspect it thoroughly for signs of it spreading beyond a localized area and be aware that some types of mold can actually be hazardous to your health...   hm

I had an X-men 94 in 9.2 that had light foxing.  I didn't buy the notes at the time of purchase.  Only after I bought the book, I looked up the notes to discover the foxing.  I held the book for 6 months and sold it.  Now, ever time I purchase a slab, I make sure to get the notes.  Foxing and rust are 2 things I avoid.