• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM X-Men 101
2 2

5 posts in this topic

Hi all.  Here is a nice vibrant copy of X-Men 101.  Primary issue is two subscription-like creases running nearly parallel down the front, one down the back.  Of the creases on the front, one is maybe 6", the other almost book-length (ditto the one on the back).  These creases only break color in two areas, about 1cm length each.  I'm not sure how to assess the effect of non-color-breaking creases, which is how I would characterize these.  I have pressed the book but the creases remain, suggesting that there is actual damage to the page fibers even though there isn't evident color loss.  Any thoughts would be appreciated!

IMG_5900_HEIC.thumb.jpg.afc4fb062400dfff08a50a45b0c72fbd.jpg

IMG_5901_HEIC.thumb.jpg.5b7039fa73ec801740c513ff3a04078d.jpg

IMG_5904_HEIC.thumb.jpg.6cedeee0973c09cebc0541aaf1c8230e.jpg

IMG_5902_HEIC.thumb.jpg.18cec0ae1e0343bda5463e0d2a8bcf19.jpg

IMG_5903_HEIC.thumb.jpg.d0e8e4c03a22dac10aa951b274b4f1b6.jpg

I agree with your assessment about there being damage to the paper. The back also looks a little discolored. Just based on the bends, I'd set the upper limit at 6.5. If anything on the back is deemed staining, it could go lower, otherwise 6.5. Given the nature of the bends, this would look nice in the slab if you can live with the grade. The bends will probably be mostly, or completely invisible through the plastic unless you really look hard.

On 6/17/2023 at 4:22 PM, scburdet said:

I agree with your assessment about there being damage to the paper. The back also looks a little discolored. Just based on the bends, I'd set the upper limit at 6.5. If anything on the back is deemed staining, it could go lower, otherwise 6.5. Given the nature of the bends, this would look nice in the slab if you can live with the grade. The bends will probably be mostly, or completely invisible through the plastic unless you really look hard.

Agreed about the presentation. The discoloration on the back is not a stain from the outside world, it’s bleed through from the color advertisement on the last page.