• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jack Kirby's Son Comments On New Stan Lee Documentary
3 3

331 posts in this topic

On 6/20/2023 at 8:59 AM, MattTheDuck said:

He already has entire threads about this subject - anyone who wants to know his "take" on this subject already knows it.

"His take " being the key phrase there.

Joe Orlando:

Joe Orlando: 

He really didn’t seem to have any ideas, but we worked out a plot, and he sent me the synopsis. I couldn’t believe it when I saw it. In one line, Stan indicated that he wanted a three-page fight sequence, in a garage, or whatever. Nothing else. So I called and asked him what I should do. He said, “You know, throw some tires around, do something with some oil, make it up as you go.'”Well, that didn’t help.

Or:

Yet another classic creator, Joe Orlando, was recruited after him (Bill Everett) and chafed under what he identified as Stan’s desire to have art that looked like Kirby’s, so he quit… admitted Orlando, “was that I wasn’t Jack Kirby. Jack - or Ditko, or just a couple of others - could take a couple of sentences of plot and bring in 20 pages that Stan could dialogue in an afternoon or two. When I drew out the story my way, Stan would go over it and say, ‘this panel needs to be changed’ and ‘this whole page needs to be changed’ and on and on. I didn’t plot it out the way he wanted the story told, so I wound up drawing at least half of every story twice. They weren’t paying enough for that so I quit.”

-True Believer: The Rise and Fall of Stan Lee

Edited by Prince Namor

Gil Kane:

Gil: Marvel came to me and asked me to do Spider-Man – John Romita was not able to produce pencils for the book every month. I came in and proposed a radical change from what they had been doing.

Steve: You started with the drugs issue.

Gil: Yes, it was the drug issue – a sensational way to grab the headlines. I made up a story and Stan put in the copy. I never thought that issue was anything special – it was simply that we didn’t get a Comics Code stamp. Anyway, Stan liked what I was doing and so, for the next several issues, I did Spider-Man with him. It was a first-rate process, he taught me a lot – he was very critical of certain things and knew what he wanted in the Marvel style and ultimately he showed me how to apply it. Stan made so many requirements of me as a writer, though – a couple of times I said “Look, if you don’t like what I’m doing, do it yourself!” but he didn’t want that, he just wanted to take the artwork home at night and there, from after dinner until 2 or 3 in the morning he’d write (the dialogue)...

On 6/20/2023 at 6:49 AM, ThothAmon said:

May not fit the thread’s narrative but Stan Lee gave him that nickname.  

Speaking of "nicknames" - here's a snippet from a Tom Spurgeon interview where he asks the late, great John Romita Sr about his "unofficial" role as art director. It's a timely one, not only given "Jazzy" John's recent and sad passing :frown:, but also in case anyone thinks that Stan Lee giving out nicknames was seen as anything more than an empty and worthless gesture, that fooled no one. It's behavior that is all too eerily reminiscent of when Bob Kane had Sheldon Maldoff over for dinner, only to see Kane handed a massive steak by his mom, while Maldoff is given "the worlds smallest hamburger."

romita-spurgeon-interview-comics-journal.thumb.jpg.bf8531d388d935349ffd1d12538f233d.jpg

Edited by comicwiz

On 6/20/2023 at 1:48 PM, EdMann2 said:

... I took the 'Nuff said' to be kind of sarcastic and done on purpose.  Most people are aware that Stan Lee often used that phrase.

But as far as it being coined by him - afraid not.  That phrase had been around for a lot longer than Stan.  In fact, one of Boston's biggest fans in the early 20th century had it as a nickname, albeit with a different spelling, but still...:  Michael T. McGreevy - Wikipedia

One more example of giving him credit for something he didn't create!  :) 

I mean, sure. You're probably right. He said it in jest... 

I guess it boils down to the same thing. What do people want to hear? Stan Lee, Stanley Lieber was a :censored:. Cool, okay... yeah, great. What has that solved? 
Is this going to dissolve his public opinion? No.
Will the comments and opinions of Jack Kirby's kid resonate with anyone that doesn't already know? No.
Outside of this being conflict for the sake of conflict, will this have any impact whatsoever? 

No.

What I found fascinating, is that Neal Kirby couldn't help himself too, on using all of these hyperbolic statements in his reply. If it's credit he is looking for, (otherwise, why bother saying anything at all), then you won't build credit by creating this fantasy world that no one's going to believe in the first place.

:preach:

Jack Kirby, the king of comics, worked tirelessly at his desk, living off only cigarettes and coffee, evident from the cloud of smoke emanating from our basement, otherwise known as The Dungeon... My father, the king of comics, the modern Michelangelo! Sculpting our modern day Marvel Family, pushed on, beyond his own ego... Egoless in fact, was the great King Kirby, my father... crafting greatness..

Yeah, we get it. Nothing like Stan Lee at all.

Edited by D2

On 6/20/2023 at 3:37 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

His interjection felt exactly like that, to me, of one who simply aims to stir up drama for attention.

That being said, he also deserves his own opinion. I doubt that I'm going to watch the movie, but there's at least some truth to his gripes.

I'm simply as sick of the Stan Lee vs Kirby s**t as I am of the MCU vs DCEU s**t. They both have their positives and their negatives.

Perfectly put.

(worship)