• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jack Kirby's Son Comments On New Stan Lee Documentary
3 3

331 posts in this topic

On 6/28/2023 at 6:01 PM, lordbyroncomics said:

To clarify, Kirby went back a couple years before 1961. 1961 is just when the Fantastic Four launches.

I bring that up also because the noted historian Dr. Michael Vassalo, who has intensely researched the day to day goings of Atlas/Marvel and gone through every existing report, log, voucher, etc. made an incredible discovery a couple years ago: the week that Kirby goes back in to Marvel coincides with the week after Joe Manleey tragically died.

So it's completely valid that Kirby would have found Stan a little weepy and teary-eyed- his friend and collaborator was just killed in a horrific subway accident. This all lined up and is documented (there are so many time stamped documents from all of Goodman's companies it's amazing that fans don't know about them and how they help prove Kirby's case while proving nothing for Stan's), it's just the kind of history and research you don't find in "Son of Origins" or Wizard Magazine.

Is this info online, or published somewhere? It sounds interesting.

On 6/28/2023 at 11:49 PM, Aman619 said:

well, as someone who read all the marvels and DCs as they came out back then (maybe you did too)  I read Jacks art and concepts with Stans words and it was much better comics than Jacks DC concepts and art and HIS words.  "Clunky" was the exact word we used back then. "Stiff" was another.  So the conclusion has been that Kirby's art and concepts fall flat when the words dont live up to them, like when Stan was editing and writing them.  We all used to say back then we loved comics for the art!  But we READ the stories and some moved us, and others didnt.  In some, the words added to the whole, in others they did not, and even took away from the art and concepts.  This was our Opinion yes. But this was way before Jacks slights became well known by us readers/collectors.  Based on the comics themselves, the Fourth World DCs were underwhelming.  (Royer's inking was cool, but also lacked the tightness and seriousness of the Marvel inkers like Sinnott etc It looked too slick and loose.  anyway...

Again, that's fine... that isn't the point of the argument here, the issue we are discussing is that Stan gets credit for things he didn't do. Maybe there's a thread about Fourth World dialogue or Stan and Jack working without each other we could talk about this on.

Edited by lordbyroncomics
skipped word

On 6/29/2023 at 2:03 AM, shadroch said:

Kirby simply did his best work when using the Marvel Method.  Of course, as bad as the Fourth World was, his work when he returned to Marvel as a writer/artist was sadder.  I wonder if Stan could have made something out of Moon Boy and Devil Dinosaur?  

If only they'd worked together on Hunger Dogs instead of that Surfer novel.

Again, that's all subjective and according to personal taste. The issue with The Marvel Method as a system is that it also operated as a kickback scheme of sorts as the Artist plotted and drove the stories completely yet didn't get paid for the plotting. I like those Silver Age stories too, but I'm not talking about it as a creative device but in how it harmed the artists. For a community here as concerned with profits and sales as it is, I'm amazed there's so little empathy for working artists not getting paid for all their work.

I was just reading how Princeton invited Stan to speak at their campus in 1966. They'd written him in 1965, excitedly asking why he'd included their campus in an issue of FF. Stan literally responds he had no idea and it's how Jack delivered the finished story to him. There are literally dozens of examples of this- Stan not knowing where the story he was going. Did he do some great work in capturing a tone and a line-wide flavor? Absolutely. It's not the case.

On 6/28/2023 at 7:22 PM, lordbyroncomics said:

It isn't a coincidence whatsoever once you realize that Kirby wouldn't "just happen to show up". Stan called him.

This may or may not be true, as I haven't seen any phone records, but I do know that Mort Weissinger(DC's big kahuna) did not care for Kirby and Jack wasn't making much of a living there. 

It probably wouldn't have been long before Jack was either driving a taxi or working for Charlton ... and the Taxi would have probably have paid better.

I also notice a curious absence of information in this "debate" about Kirby's failed publishing ventures. 

GOD BLESS ...

jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

... Kirby was in perpetual litigation with Marvel trying to invalidate his "work for hire" contract over the last couple decades of his life, what else is he going to say other than he did it all ?

Edited by jimjum12

On 6/29/2023 at 4:03 AM, lordbyroncomics said:

Thanks for the blessings, Jim!

- probably would have been driving a taxi is speculative, so I hope you won't be hurt if I don't explore the possibilities of that.

- because you haven't seen any records doesn't mean records don't exist. See above for existing inner memos for a business meeting in June 1958. Also, since Kirby was such a struggling artist do you think- since we're speculating and all- that he'd leave Long Island for Manhattan without knowing Stan would be there?

- the absence of information about Kirby's failed publishing ventures isn't "curious", Jim is just doing a passive-aggressive spin here which aligns with much of his swarmy, disrespectful tone. I swear, these guys would never speak to a man in person the way they do on these boards so let's let them enjoy it. :wishluck:

Yes, Kirby had some failed ventures like the Sky Masters strip. It isn't brought up because it's not relevant to the discussion (why quote "debate" when this isn't a debate? man, such obvious tactics to try to instigate- aren't you like 60?), it's worth noting that Stan's failed ventures (since you wanna bring it up) DWARF Kirby's significantly. Again, see Alter Ego #150 in which ALL of Stan's ventures fail painfully, to the point where he enlists his wife Joan to call various distributors to pretend to be an excited reader (I'm unsure that Kirby ever got his wife to resort to such tactics) and then forges multiple letters of support from Pete Morsi and Artie Simek's daughter.

None of this is relevant to Stan getting credit for complete creation. Again, this is the issue. Stan was very talented and an incredible Editor and spokesman for comics. No one disputes that.

Let's say that Kirby didn't sell millions in the Golden Age and got his byline on covers back then and didn't invent the Romance Genre with Joe Simon and so forth. Let's say EVERYTHING failed. Let's say Jimbo, a friend of the Messiah himself, is right and Kirby was about to become a CAB DRIVER- not a shameful profession, I might add- let's say that was all true.

.... does it excuse Stan Lee's theft of credit?? Hmm.. there's a Jesus parable in there somewhere, ain't there? hm

Let's just say there are a whole LOT of people who don't buy your narrative or your character assassination of Stan Lee, who conveniently isn't around to defend himself. I'm smarmy, huh? I wonder where I get that from? GOD BL;ESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Edited by jimjum12

On 6/29/2023 at 11:21 AM, jimjum12 said:

Let's just say there are a WHOLE lot of people who don't buy your narrative or your character assassination of Stan Lee ... who conveniently isn't around to defend himself. I'm smarmy, huh? I wonder where I get that from? GOD BL;ESS...

Some Facebook discussion. :)

Schermata 2023-06-29 alle 11.24.52.png

On 6/29/2023 at 12:07 AM, lordbyroncomics said:

Again, that's all subjective and according to personal taste. The issue with The Marvel Method as a system is that it also operated as a kickback scheme of sorts as the Artist plotted and drove the stories completely yet didn't get paid for the plotting. I like those Silver Age stories too, but I'm not talking about it as a creative device but in how it harmed the artists. For a community here as concerned with profits and sales as it is, I'm amazed there's so little empathy for working artists not getting paid for all their work.

I was just reading how Princeton invited Stan to speak at their campus in 1966. They'd written him in 1965, excitedly asking why he'd included their campus in an issue of FF. Stan literally responds he had no idea and it's how Jack delivered the finished story to him. There are literally dozens of examples of this- Stan not knowing where the story he was going. Did he do some great work in capturing a tone and a line-wide flavor? Absolutely. It's not the case.

As a business owner, I want to treat my employees fairly.  If I offer you X in exchange for your work, and you agree to it, what else would I owe you? 

Kirby worked for hire. He evidently turned down a management position on several occasions. He wasn't happy at DC so he went to Marvel. He wasn't happy at Marvel so he went back to DC, only to leave there three years later to return to Marvel, which he left after three years because people were mean to him.  His later stuff at Pacific and for Eclipse didn't exactly light the comic world on fire, and at a time his fellow DC employees were giving us Dark Knight, Watchman, Swamp Thing, Titans and the Legion, Jack was pimping a toy line.  

On 6/29/2023 at 5:56 AM, shadroch said:

As a business owner, I want to treat my employees fairly.  If I offer you X in exchange for your work, and you agree to it, what else would I owe you? 

Kirby worked for hire. He evidently turned down a management position on several occasions. He wasn't happy at DC so he went to Marvel. He wasn't happy at Marvel so he went back to DC, only to leave there three years later to return to Marvel, which he left after three years because people were mean to him.  His later stuff at Pacific and for Eclipse didn't exactly light the comic world on fire, and at a time his fellow DC employees were giving us Dark Knight, Watchman, Swamp Thing, Titans and the Legion, Jack was pimping a toy line.  

Sure, much of that is fair. So, here is a question for you asked with respect: what does the work for hire agreement in the sixties have to do with Stan lying later on?

We are talking about one of the creators changing their story, contradicting earlier statements and outright lying when it aligns with corporate purchasing and job security. It has nothing to do with Jack disagreeing with work for hire. That's another argument that might be more relevant to the "Marvel didn't return his art in the Eighties" conversation.

We're talking about Stan saying "I think the guy who has the idea is the creator" and then saying- in print, no less!- that Doctor Strange "Twas Steve's idea"- and then, in 1974, saying it was his idea and, quote, "And Steve Ditko was the artist I selected to draw the story." (but why say in print years earlier it was Steve's idea?)

Work for hire ensures that colleagues can suddenly lie?

Shadroch, does work for hire ensure that you can take credit away from someone else? Yes or no please.

On 6/29/2023 at 6:13 AM, lordbyroncomics said:

Saying that constitutes "character assassination"- digest that a bit.

Go back and read all your posts, bro. When you speak of passive aggression, you obviously speak as an expert. If all we were talking about was Stan getting too much credit, I would have never entered this discussion. Some of us loved "Funky Flashman", he was the face of Marvel for a solid decade... the decade that counted. I'm a HUGE Kirby fan, although he did allow his nose to get out of joint and his ugly side came out. Like Claudio said, they did bury the hatchet at the end. GOD BLESS ... 

... nothing personal to you... in fact if I see you at Baltimore I'll buy you dinner (as long as it isn't Morton's Steakhouse :bigsmile: ...hey, this is America, you're allowed to be wrong if you chose...

Edited by jimjum12

On 6/29/2023 at 6:18 AM, lordbyroncomics said:

more relevant to the "Marvel didn't return his art in the Eighties" conversation.

... that was disgusting. I do become passionate about that.GOD BLESS ...

On 6/29/2023 at 6:23 AM, jimjum12 said:

Go back and read all your posts, bro. When you speak of passive aggression, you obviously speak as an expert. If all we were talking about was Stan getting too much credit, I would have never entered this discussion. Some of us loved "Funky Flashman", he was the face of Marvel for a solid decade... the decade that counted. I'm a HUGE Kirby fan, although he did allow his nose to get out of joint and his ugly side came out. Like Claudio said, they did bury the hatchet at the end. GOD BLESS ... 

... nothing personal to you... in fact if I see you at Baltimore I'll buy you dinner (as long as it isn't Morton's Steakhouse :bigsmile: ...hey, this is America, you're allowed to be wrong if you chose...

I think you are reading statements I made jokingly as "passive aggressive". I am not passive aggressive and am known for being quite direct. I responded with some humor in response to the tones and implications I got after just writing factually. If guys are gonna get snarky with me first, then they'd better be Groucho Marx because I've got no problem being snarky back. If you have specific examples of passive aggressiveness on my part, please feel free to send me a private message and we can discuss them as I don't want to turn this thread into a joust.

I'll be at Baltimore, let me know if you indeed want to meet up in person. Don't worry, I don't go to Steakhouses.

If I'm wrong about Stan not being the total creator and the artists just drew his creations- by all means, make the case. I'll listen objectively. I've been studying this- even unintentionally- for over two decades. As far as I know, I'm the only one here with direct involvement and interaction with Stan and Gil Champion at POW! Entertainment and as far as I know I'm the only one here who almost beat the s#*t out of Max Anderson during one of his bullying tirades. I procured Poppy Ott & Jerry Todd books from the twenties for Stan and spent significant time with D. Ayers, Joe Sinnott and Steve Ditko about the Marvel Method practice. I've put the effort in to go through Stan's papers in Wyoming. What I say is based on being properly educated on the subject; there's no intention to assassinate someone. The intention is to battle against the wildly_fanciful_statement in this recent Disney+ Documentary. Sorry that me doing that makes me enemies instead of pals! Not the intent.

Edited by lordbyroncomics
missed words, changing Richard Ayer's name

On 6/29/2023 at 6:53 AM, lordbyroncomics said:

I'll be at Baltimore, let me know if you indeed want to meet up in person. Don't worry, I don't go to Steakhouses.

That might be cool, I'd like to demonstrate that I'm not always a pompous arse. GOD BLESS...

But your discussion isn’t strictly about the doc. The Disney doc brought this up again.  Disney obviously has a vested interest in framing Stan as a Walt Disney of comics.  It’s what they do.  The discussion here  is about the larger ongoing discussion about who deserved the credit for marvel characters.  As others have said, there’s little new in the doc other than home movies, and clever elaborate diorama setups of the bullpen etc. (anyone know how big they are? The detail is amazing). which are repeated a few times as there are clearly not a lot existing..

stan changed his story to fit the needs of corporate above. I believe he started out from a marketing perspective.  Later on,  the need to prolong the sole genius story was too good to dismantle. And he was “required” to keep it up. And Stan was more than willing to oblige his corporate masters knowing how much he had worked to achieve the Marvel success. The artists were tasked with more than they were being paid for as artists… but they did it willingly and knew it was work for hire, cause as we all face in our lives and careers, they had little choice in order to earn a living. (Jack especially who had run his own publishing enterprises knew full well he had to take the piecemeal freelance work). …and who knew it would be worth something let alone billions, decades later.  If my dad were one of these guys I’d be pisted too. 

Kirby and Ditko have regained creatorship titles to their work, and the word is spreading.  At some point it will reach a tipping point maybe, and all three will be known for their collaborative achievements. 

’if only Marvel had failed after a few years!  No one would give a damn who did what. But collaboratively, they did their jobs too well.

The polarization in this thread, while not surprising given prior discussions and ruminations on the creation of the Marvel Universe, is unfortunate and, to this former Marvel Zombie, unnecessarily and unjustifiably extreme.  Call Roy nasty and mean-spirited things (this also strikes me as strident extremism), and think of him what you will (as is your perogative) but he's absolutely right.  As is so often true with creative breakthrough, the whole at Marvel was far greater than the sum of the parts.

Surely it took both men, but they are each simply too myopic to see it.

- Roy Thomas

Edited by namisgr