• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did MCS grade my FF200 correctly?
2 2

6 posts in this topic

First, I'm learning about 2 new to me topics here so feel free to offer more info if you think it's relevant as regards "square bound" comics and misplaced staples.

I bought this from MCS.  They graded it as 8.5.  Upon close inspection the staples are about 1/4 inch in from the edge and do not appear on the outside of the book, they have left a dimple on the top at the  200th anniversary banner area and a color breaking dimple on the bottom.

Questions:

1) Am I correct that this is a "square bound" comic? If so how do I know for sure?

2) Are the staples misplaced?

3) Ignoring other potential flaws for the moment, how do you think CGC would grade this situation and what would the criteria be?  Might this be considered a bindery defect?

Just so everyone knows; I am perfectly satisfied with the purchase and only ask because I want to learn something new.  Thanks to anyone that can help.

ff200.jpg

Edited by 2Sunny

MCS is an old school grader.  I have purchased multiple books from MCS for years and I never am disappointed after CGC graded my books - one grade or better.

One time, I bought Showcase #80 - 1st SA Phantom Stranger. MSC graded it 9.4 then CGC graded it 9.8.