• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Point Five's 4th Annual Grading Contest: ROUND 2 BOOKS!
3 3

62 posts in this topic

4. Confessions of the Lovelorn #53

I had this one as a 3.5 in hand, but can understand 3.0 due to the LLC area, and just generally seeming a bit worn around the edges. No big surprises here.

confessions53gvgslab.thumb.JPG.08d3a8f77274a285573bd884828e1c9c.JPG

6. Hawkman #4

This grade completely floored me. I was shocked, and still am. I fully expected a 5.5, could have rolled with a 5.0... maaaybe a strict 4.5. But wow, 4.0. I've owned many VG-range copies of this exact issue, and this copy smokes them all. The defects are all subtle and the eye appeal is super. (The discolored areas look much worse in CGC's scans... my original scans are a better representation, as they are barely visible at all.)

The only thing I can say is that going back over the slabbed book with a fine-tooth comb, I notice that along the upper spine, Hawkman's hand and the building above it are washed out when compared to other copies... plus the aforementioned areas of discoloration. Even with all that, I'd be at 4.5 before I would ever be at 4.0. (shrug) 

hawkman4vgslab.thumb.JPG.1f548372ee460c2c8e0bf6bf34991609.JPG