• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

San Diego Comic con
2 2

45 posts in this topic

Sunday was indeed a pretty busy day for comic dealers. A lot of sales were going on left and right.  I was helping out my buddy's booth on Sunday and it was the most customers he's had than all the previous days combined!  They did very well actually.  Oh and let's not forget the huge sale one dealer made on preview night I believe. It was one of the talks of the convention. 

On 7/26/2023 at 9:23 AM, blazingbob said:

First off "At a panel, one expert collector said he saw many $100 deals going on in the booth, but no real big deals on the floor ($50-100k).  He said those deals were between dealers themselves, quietly done."

THIS IS NOT TRUE and I would love to speak with the "EXPERT COLLECTOR".  There were multiple deals in this price range that were not between dealers but between dealers and collectors.  I was part of a very large one and it was not a dealer to dealer transaction.  I also sold a few books in this price range.  

This type of comment is frankly one that annoys me quite a bit because of how it was said and to what audience.  

Secondly Sunday is generally the slowest day of the show and frankly your comment is way off on how the show went.  

You don't need a ton of customers to make good sales.  Richard from Bedrock made a couple of nice sales on Sunday.  My Sunday was what I expected since a majority of my sales take place earlier in the week.  

San Diego was a very good show,  there was a very good attendance that frankly makes it a little easier to get around then the year before covid hit.  It isn't a sea of bodies anymore.  For those who say they can't get tickets ask a dealer you are friends with.  We do get allotments of exhibitor and attendee badges that you can buy.  If you aren't friendly with one maybe you should be.    

On a side note if San Diego is not your "thing" or is out of your price range I strongly suggest attending the Torpedo show in Glendale, CA the weekend before.  Most of the national and some regional dealers set up with the same inventory.  Glendale is a very nice city,  the Hilton is a very nice hotel,  the room is very comfortable.  Please don't use "I can't get into San Diego" as an excuse not to see the same inventory or dealer you do business with.  

On 7/26/2023 at 11:02 AM, CCEC said:

Thanks for the feedback!

The guy who made the comment was in one of the panels on Sunday. Since I am relatively new to the game, my observations are made from a newbie point of view.  That is a good tip about getting passes from dealers.  

Maybe the time has finally arrived for us to award different levels to collectors. Let the newbies start in Bronze and work their way to Platinum. When you’ve mastered those you graduate to the Diamond levels as a master of many ages. Finally you go to collectors training camp where the dealer Jedi masters inform you how to use the force in collecting.  Upon graduation you’ll receive your diploma as Master Collector and internship for one year with the comics dealer of their choosing. 
IMG_8736.thumb.jpeg.db1400ca99252607f4cdae88a451f66f.jpeg

Beware the Sith dealers though who will try to turn you away from collecting comics and turn you toward the dark side of Bronies collecting…

IMG_8737.thumb.jpeg.ab50bd656c582c801d081eb0db4ae7ed.jpeg

We had a lot of fun this year. I only picked up a few comics and prints, as we've just paid off some OA. This is only my second time at SDCC, but I felt like the comics section was larger/easier to navigate than last year. Meanwhile, doing anything in artist alley was a struggle thanks to the Funko congestion.

image.jpeg