• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CATRICK'S CORNUCOPIA is CLOSED
5 5

323 posts in this topic

SO! I've been watching with great interest the last few weeks of Surfing Alien's tremendous paperback sales thread. 
Having been thinking about thinning the herd a LOT as I approach 70, I've decided to throw my (paperback) hat in the ring too.

Ol' Surfie has me whipped hands down when it comes to Burroughs titles and Frazetta covers, but I think I've edged him out in 
Philip K D*** titles, :D 

I have a bit over a hundred titles set aside, culled from my personal collection, along with a few gems culled from two huge paperback
buys in the last few years. I'm interested to see how these fare. 
But first:

DA RULEZ

I'll put up a big scan of the FC, BC and either a photo or scan of the spine.

Shipping to USA preferred, but if you want something sent to Canada or overseas PM me 
and we'll work something out. 

:TAKEIT:  rules the roost,  but PM's, kibitzing,  and general tomfoolery  are welcome.

$10.00  Priority shipping to the USA for one or two paperbacks, well packed in a padded  envelope.   
$17.00 boxed  Priority  for  larger quantities.  Canada or overseas to be determined.
I've been asked if I can ship mediamail. For this thread ONLY, sure! After I invoice you send a PM
response requesting mediamail and I'll pack up your goods and get a quote. Exact shipping will be charged. 

CHECK OR MONEY ORDER GREATLY PREFERRED, I despise paypal.   

If you just GOTTA pay with paypal  PM me first and we'll work something out.

Returns for any reason on your dime, and for any missed major flaw or bad description on my dime.

My Kudos thread:

https://boards.cgccomics.com/topic/196720-catrick339-nuff-said/#comments

Here we go!

I'm still figuring out the best way to approach getting good images for paperbacks, but at least at first I'm starting out with three scans, 
FC, BC, and spine. Feel free to give me feedback on whether this works for all you all. 

For this afternoon I'm posting the only dustjackted paperback I've run across in some years, and it's a stone gorgeous beauty.

No Place To Hide, Bantam 421

The book itself is news stand fresh, see the first three scans. 
The jacket itself is durned near as nice, see the next three scans plus a couple pix.  There's just not much wrong here. 
Photos will be added from my phone shortly after posting the rest.

Asking  $100 SOLD!

NOPLACE1.jpg

NOPLACEB.jpg

NOPLACEC.jpg

NOPLACED.jpg

NOPLACEE.jpg

NOPLACEF.jpg

20230622_144131.jpg

20230622_144153.jpg

Edited by catrick339

The white stuff in the last photo is glare, not damage.

Enjoy!

Back this evening with a batch of ten if the images work out well.

Oh, all right. Just for PopKulture, I'll post another this afternoon.

This time I took a photo of the spine, I'd appreciate any feedback from observers as to any preference, scan vs photo.

Gang Girl, Beacon 135
Front cover is sharp, spine is slightly indented, back cover is almost as nice, but there's a faint dust shadow along the spine and 
a whiff of general wear.  A friend told me I should be asking forty bucks for this one, but I think that might be a stretch.

Spine photo to be added shortly.

Asking $30  SOLD!

GANGGIRLA1.jpg

GANGGIRLA2.jpg

20230622_152525.jpg

Edited by catrick339

On 6/22/2023 at 12:24 PM, crassus said:

"No place to hide" is an important book, I use it sometimes as primary source material for the early Cold War. The author was part of the Operation Crossroads medical team, and it is a very compelling account of just how much even the scientists didn't yet know about the effects of radiation on both organic and inorganic materials. There are lots of video available on YouTube showing the second Baker underwater shot, which did the most dramatic damage and essentially radiated the target (test) fleet. This book would have been an effective crash course for the lay audience on the effects of an atomic explosion. Some of his conclusions were significant, first that radiation is hard to get rid of, and once there you are stuck with it, in the case of the underwater test it demonstrated that in any real combat situation even an underwater proximate blast would render a large fleet inoperable, as it would have to be evacuated. Then there was the impacts on the local ecology, and not the least on the sailors and crewmembers, which this books demonstrates pretty clearly (and obviously) had no clue what they were getting into....there is a great section where he tries to explain to skeptical sailors how "invisible bullets" (radiation) can still strike your vital organs and kill you just like a gun....the 3rd scheduled test was cancelled. 

My little plug for the book, a great and important read 2c

Somebody should buy this or I will have to... lol

Plus, on the cover it has sweaty, bare-chested sailors in the boiler room! :banana: 

On 6/22/2023 at 5:18 PM, lizards2 said:

Plus, on the cover it has sweaty, bare-chested sailors in the boiler room! :banana: 

I'm guessing that is what explains the dust cover...think of those impressionable young people...it's atomic smut!

On 6/22/2023 at 12:38 PM, catrick339 said:

Oh, all right. Just for PopKulture, I'll post another this afternoon.

This time I took a photo of the spine, I'd appreciate any feedback from observers as to any preference, scan vs photo.

Gang Girl, Beacon 135
Front cover is sharp, spine is slightly indented, back cover is almost as nice, but there's a faint dust shadow along the spine and 
a whiff of general wear.  A friend told me I should be asking forty bucks for this one, but I think that might be a stretch.

Spine photo to be added shortly.

Asking $30

GANGGIRLA1.jpg

GANGGIRLA2.jpg

20230622_152525.jpg

:takeit:

Gang Girl

No, not THAT  one, this is Nightstand NB 1504.

Don Elliott was the pen name of Robert Silverberg, who wrote a bunch of smutty novels before gaining popularity as a science fiction author. 
I figure you can't go wrong with lust-cats of the gutters, lol 
What with this being a smut book and all, I will need an age statement from the buyer before I will ship.

Minor general wear lies flat, tight, and square. Chip out lower BC
Spine photo coming shortly.

Asking $30  SOLD!

GANGGIRLB1.jpg

GANGGIRLB2.jpg

20230622_200401.jpg

Edited by catrick339

Tiger In The Streets,  Ace D-257

Small grease pen notation inside FC, chipping upper spine, touch of rubbing lower spine, chip and zmall wrinkle upper edge FC.
Flat, tight, square. 

Spine photo coming shortly

Asking $25

TIGERA.jpg

TIGERB.jpg

20230622_155043.jpg

Edited by catrick339

So! What's more interesting than a Gang Girl?

Why, Gang Girls, of course!

The Gang Girls, Monarch 372

Pretty much  news stand fresh, glossy tight, flat, square, a faint whiff along the spine, as if the book has been opened...ONCE. 

$40 FIRM, I don't mind shelving this one back up for a while. 

GANGGIRLSA.jpg

GANGGIRLSB.jpg

20230622_154518.jpg

Edited by catrick339

Man-Handled, Century 105

Lies flat and square enough, but a couple light creases FC, touch of soiling BC

Asking $10

MANHANDLEDA.jpg

MANHANDLEDB.jpg

20230622_160916.jpg

Edited by catrick339

Mazie - Any Man's Girl, Venus 103

Folded and stapled spine, but I took a pic anyhow, :D 
Flat and tight, good gloss, but a bumped corner lower RH FC, some minor general wear.

Asking $25  SOLD!

MAZIEA.jpg

MAZIEB.jpg

20230622_155705.jpg

Edited by catrick339

Guilty V7 #2, December 1962
Gotta confess, this is the only issue of this magazine I've ever seen. Digest size, 128 pages, looks just like all the oversize PB's from that era and before.
Squarebound, flat, tight, white pages. Features the short novel from the front cover, plus another short story.
My paperback buddy tried to convince me to tag this at $75,  I'm ignoring him again. We'll see, lol 

Asking $15  SOLD!

SWITCHBLADEA.jpg

SWITCHBLADEB.jpg

20230622_155416.jpg

Edited by catrick339

Passion's Program, Century 114

Lower edge BC looks just like "Marvel" chipping to me.Otherwise flat and square, tight, minor general wear.

Asking $10

PASSIONSA.jpg

PASSIONSB.jpg

20230622_161144.jpg

Edited by catrick339