• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM - Venom: Lethal Protector #1
1 1

10 posts in this topic

I know, I know . . . not exactly as interesting as a Silver or GA book. I do have a couple others to post that are of more interest, from a grading perspective. Book never read, purchased new then bagged/boarded/boxed. Will post CGC result.

Thank you all in advance for your input.

Thanks,

Art

Venom 1_1.jpg

Venom 1_3.jpg

Venom 1_4.jpg

Venom 1_5.jpg

Venom 1a.jpg

Venom 1_6.jpg

Venom 1_7.jpg

Venom 1_8.jpg

Venom 1_9.jpg

Venom 1_10.jpg

Venom 1_11.jpg

Venom 1_12.jpg

Thank you both for posting. Story here is there were three copies purchased, all at the same time, from the same place, stored the same way. None were ever read. They all looked exactly the same. The first two were submitted to CGC at different times (based on advice that two or more of the same book should not be submitted together). Each one came back a 9.8. I sold one, put one in the PC and submitted the last. In my opinion, if ever there were a pretty slam-dunk 9.8, these were them. Ha. I know that a 9.8 is never a given . . . but here is what I got back:

venom slab 1.jpg

I definitely don't see the creasing listed in the Grader Notes. As I've mentioned recently elsewhere, any grade can have a bad day and unfortunately there can really be a process to dispute/appeal b/c people would abuse it relentlessly. The list of people that disagree with CGC graders is long. That said, I do think there's some wiggle room in the case of a clerical error, which could have been the case here. I'd reach out to customer service, especially since creasing on this metallic, cardstock cover should be pretty obvious.

There is something wrong here. If you are new to this (as am I) it is important to realize quickly that CGC does make mistakes. Unfortunately the customer cannot blindly trust the process, and unless there is something fairly major that is completely unseen in your photos I would contact them. No harm in cracking this as a 7.5 of this particular book is practically worthless.

On 6/27/2023 at 6:29 AM, Eric C M said:

There is something wrong here. If you are new to this (as am I) it is important to realize quickly that CGC does make mistakes. Unfortunately the customer cannot blindly trust the process, and unless there is something fairly major that is completely unseen in your photos I would contact them. No harm in cracking this as a 7.5 of this particular book is practically worthless.

Agreed. Already done and will resubmit at some point in time. Having to pay for grading twice is a shame, but more important to me is that it gets the grade it deserves. If that is not a 9.8, so be it. But a 7.5 was, well, shocking. LOL. 

Thank for the input, I appreciate it.

Art

On 6/26/2023 at 5:33 PM, scburdet said:

I definitely don't see the creasing listed in the Grader Notes. As I've mentioned recently elsewhere, any grade can have a bad day and unfortunately there can really be a process to dispute/appeal b/c people would abuse it relentlessly. The list of people that disagree with CGC graders is long. That said, I do think there's some wiggle room in the case of a clerical error, which could have been the case here. I'd reach out to customer service, especially since creasing on this metallic, cardstock cover should be pretty obvious.

Thank you. I do agree that any kind of 'dispute' process would be a disaster . . . kinda like arguing with a Referee. Ha. I checked the book over again thoroughly after cracking the case . . . because it is even possible some damage to the book could have occurred while at CGC, which can and does happen - it's a risk we take. But, nope, this book is as perfect as the day it left my office. There's not a tick, crease, fold, tear, rub, fingerprint or soft corner to be found. Nada. Then I thought, maybe they mixed it up with the 9.8 I received for my Spawn 1. But that made no sense either as I dirty graded the Spawn at a pretty spot on 9.6, maybe 9.8 (which it received). All the other books in the submission were graded, in my opinion, right on the money. I will say, to CGC credit, all the books except the 9.8 Spawn had grader notes. Nice, and the way it should be - so 'thumbs up' for that.

Thank you for the input, I appreciate it.

Art