• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Iron Man #131 peculiarities
1 1

6 posts in this topic

I have a copy of Iron Man #131 with two sets of staples.  The second set of staples starts at the first inner wrap and appears to be from production - it's hard to see how they could have been added post-production, nor was there any need to as the outer staples are firmly attached.  There are also small remnants of what appears to be an insert hanging from the inner staples inside the front and back covers.  There is no mention of an insert on the outside covers.  The CGC population only lists 2 qualified out of a total population of 211.  Any ideas on what this is and if it would affect the grade?

On 6/29/2023 at 12:42 PM, Tom789 said:

I have a copy of Iron Man #131 with two sets of staples.  The second set of staples starts at the first inner wrap and appears to be from production - it's hard to see how they could have been added post-production, nor was there any need to as the outer staples are firmly attached.  There are also small remnants of what appears to be an insert hanging from the inner staples inside the front and back covers.  There is no mention of an insert on the outside covers.  The CGC population only lists 2 qualified out of a total population of 211.  Any ideas on what this is and if it would affect the grade?

Mark Jeweler's insert? If so, your issue would be Qualified.

On 6/29/2023 at 9:46 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Mark Jeweler's insert? If so, your issue would be Qualified.

Correct me if I'm wrong but that insert is usually a full page centerfold?  This looks more like the Tattooz insert from ASM #238.

On 6/29/2023 at 11:42 AM, Tom789 said:

I have a copy of Iron Man #131 with two sets of staples.  The second set of staples starts at the first inner wrap and appears to be from production - it's hard to see how they could have been added post-production, nor was there any need to as the outer staples are firmly attached.

Yeah, that happens. It's not all that common, but sometimes covers don't get attached properly during the normal production process.

There are also small remnants of what appears to be an insert hanging from the inner staples inside the front and back covers.

Interesting.

There is no mention of an insert on the outside covers. 

There usually isn't.

Any ideas on what this is and if it would affect the grade?

I have no idea what it is. My copy has nothing.

If there's foreign material in the book, that could affect the grade.

On 6/29/2023 at 1:47 PM, Lazyboy said:

Yeah, that happens. It's not all that common, but sometimes covers don't get attached properly during the normal production process.

Interesting.

There usually isn't.

I have no idea what it is. My copy has nothing.

If there's foreign material in the book, that could affect the grade.

The foreign material is just small pieces of paper clinging to the staples and easily removeable.  The mystery deepens.