• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Masterworks question....how to identify the variant?

28 posts in this topic

one of the FFs (I think the one with #40-#49) went over $300 regularly.

I cashed in on the insanity in March and sold mine on Ebay for $350.50. I bought it for $42.00 (cover $55). It's Vol. 28 BTW.

That's the Comicraft reprint....issues #51 - #60. Good on you !

I got an Avengers Masterworks variant - volume 9 - still sealed for less than 60% of cover price two months ago, if that gives you an idea about pricing and such

No the problem is that they included different issues in these. Original run was 1-27 with anything over #14 commanding a premium. Now those books are all cover price or less.

Skip all the comic craft, etc. Started back with 28 and are now on 52 or 53. 28-32 all command premiums because nobody knew these were out until 33 (in my opinion) They are going to start redoing pre-superhero Tales to AStonish soon.

Look at an original Vol 10 and variant Vol 10. They are both spideys but are off by 1 issue. They went back and corrected the order (basically placing annuals in correct place and fixing numerous color issues). Creates a problem for completists. Not sure how many fall into this but spideys for sure.

The only difference is the dust jacket. Otherwise it is same book. 33 started "variant print runs" over 1000. But I've seen 33 go for about 1 1/2 x cover.

Well, we sure live in interesting times. Anything you could ever want to know is available 24/7 thru the same internet we all talk to each other with

Heres an entire website devoted to all the minutia you could ever want to know about Marvel Masterworks!

here ya go!

From this page, click om any of the volumes. Then, read down on the left column to see each reprinting, with many of the covers scans as well.

OK here you go

Original Masterworks that started in late 80s and went to about 1995 consisted of volumes 1-27 all marble covers. Most of the books after volume 14 commanded a premium because there was only an initial printing. Volumes 1-4 were printed several times. And I believe 5-13 had at least a second printing. (not 100% but you get the idea that the later ones were worth more because not as many copies existed)

Fast forward a few years and marvel tried out a new format. Typically called Comic Craft (sp?) These are the vibrant colored copies that look completely different. I see the x-men and thor version of these all the time, but I think there is an FF as well (maybe more??) Anyway these were not a big seller.

Now here is where it gets tricky because I didn't catch on to these until vol 33 (spidey) Marvel came out with solid grey hardbacks and produced a variant cover to each. The variant cover (or dustjacket) was designed to match the original set. Somewhere they went back and redid the original 1-27 and limited them to 450-500 copies each. The next ones were 28-32 which some of these took the place of the Comic Craft copies. These were also limited to under 500 copies (of the variant dust jacket) Then 33 came out and had 1400 copies printed.

Now I'm not sure if these (variant 1-27) all came out at once or not, but they do all exist. I have 2 #10's (one original and one variant) and they are off by 1 issue. I was told the reason they went back and did 1-27 was to place annuals in correct order and to fix numerous coloring issues.

In my opinion here's the value breakdown.....

1-27 original - VALUE cover price or less

Reason - Incorrect order, color problems, new ones exist

Comic Craft - Value - 50% of cover

Reason - Do not look like originals

Variants 1-27 Value - cover price - 2x Cover price

Reason - less than 500 copies of each, not everyone is up to speed on these yet, and flow with 28+ Can still get great deals on ebay though

Variants 28-32 Value - Super Crazy

Reason - less than 500 copies of each. Old school Masterwork collectors missed the boat, not pleased with Comic Craft versions, paying stupid 35 cent variant money to fill hole in collection.

Variants 33 + Value $35-Cover (Although some are going more)

Reason - Starting to reprint new material. Although at least 1200 copies exist of each one. Can buy on ebay from stores that do presells from $31-$35 + shipping.

O know you just explained it, but Im even more lost now!

Has anyone ever made a chart showing each Volume and the many different reprints and variants over the years?

You mean something like this :

Marvel Masterworks: Amazing Spider-Man Volume 1

5 prints of the original (marble cover) (first print had a slip-case variant)

6th print = Comiccraft issue

7th print = Silver/Black new edition (with variant marble cover print run of 520)

Trouble is, the only print run that is known is the variant of the 7th print.

All info can be harvested from the Marvel Masterworks site