• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My visit to Lost Valley in the 1960s

10 posts in this topic

On 7/3/2023 at 12:54 PM, Mmehdy said:

great stuff....I think they were reprinted in a hardcover format...did you ever check those out...and what issues were reprinted if you know, I also bought that title off the newstand once in a whie

I did buy Volume 1 only of the hardcover reprints by Darkhorse publishers several years ago. It reprinted the first 6 issues which means the Dell Four Color issues and first few issues of Turok in his own title. That book is still in the shrink-wrap until when and if I decide to return to Lost Valley.

On 7/3/2023 at 12:54 PM, Mmehdy said:

great stuff....I think they were reprinted in a hardcover format...did you ever check those out...and what issues were reprinted if you know, I also bought that title off the newstand once in a whie

Ten volumes have been printed by Dark Horse and since they haven't printed a new one in over ten years it looks as if that's going to be it.

The volumes print the original Turok series starting with the Four Color issues.  Volume ten ends with issue 67.

On 7/3/2023 at 2:59 PM, the_Leader_knows said:

I did buy Volume 1 only of the hardcover reprints by Darkhorse publishers several years ago. It reprinted the first 6 issues which means the Dell Four Color issues and first few issues of Turok in his own title. That book is still in the shrink-wrap until when and if I decide to return to Lost Valley.

Personally, I find that the series really starts to gather steam when Alberto Giolitti took over the art duties and reaches its apex when Giovanni Ticci joins.

On 7/7/2023 at 3:49 PM, pemart1966 said:

Personally, I find that the series really starts to gather steam when Alberto Giolitti took over the art duties and reaches its apex when Giovanni Ticci joins.

When would that be... as far as the year ? GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Turok is one of the most overlooked and under appreciated series in the history of comics.  What better combination could there be for kids growing up in the 60s than dinosaurs and Indians?  Couple that with great stories, art and covers and you've got yourself one of the gems of the Silver Age.

Unfortunately, the title was only published 5 or 6 times a year and where I lived, they were hard to find on the rack.  Parkwood Hills Foodland (really a corner store commonly referred to as "Jack's" by all) was the only place accessible by foot or bike for comics so if you missed an issue you were out of luck.

I remember getting my first two Turoks in trade for a small bag of marbles from a guy at school circa 1966 .  It was a steep price but I couldn't resist.  I remember that there were no dinosaurs on the covers and as I recall they were probably issues 34 and 40.

My last issue was 59 and at that time I had managed to accumulate a smattering of issues between 34 and 59.  

When I was old enough to bus downtown on Saturday mornings to Don White's used bookstore in search of old comics never once did I find an old Turok.

In a sad story, almost all of my childhood comics, including all of my Turoks were stolen.

Fast forward to adulthood and I decided to make it my mission to collect the entire Turok run - which I did.  It's amazing seeing all of the covers; variants etc that you had no idea existed as a kid.

I was lucky to have met Turok writer Paul S Newman - great guy.  He inscribed and signed at the bottom of page 1, issue 58, (The flying saucer issue). "Grunnk!  They almost got out!!"  If you read that story, his inscription is very apropos.  

Edited by pemart1966