• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What’s the lowest numerical number you would consider high grade?
1 1

38 posts in this topic

There are 24 possible "grades" that CGC provides (not including "NG" or "Page").  Seven of these (29 percent) are 9.0 and above.  At 8.5 and above, you have 1/3 of possible grades.  That seems to me a reasonable dividing line - however, I suspect you have an outsized percentage of all grades in 8.5 and above so the sample size may be skewed.

On 7/2/2023 at 10:02 AM, OtherEric said:

Gold, 7.0 or within one point of highest known copy.  Silver, 8.5.  Bronze, 9.0.  Copper, 9.4.  Modern, 9.8.

Thats a tricky one.

A black cover BA key, a 9.0 is often a great grade to have.   For the bulk of the BA books, so readily available, I'd bump it up a notch.

On 7/1/2023 at 9:02 PM, Microchip said:

Thats a tricky one.

A black cover BA key, a 9.0 is often a great grade to have.   For the bulk of the BA books, so readily available, I'd bump it up a notch.

This.

I once had a CGC 9.0 copy of Marvel Premiere # 1 and a CGC 9.6 copy.

The difference was ridiculous - and palpable.

Had for me to settle for 9.0 in any but literally the top 15-20 Bronze books right now (like, the top 10 most expensive and then say...10 super rare $.35 variants - where it's a matter of availability rather than cost).

Like...I'd take an Iron Fist 14 $.35 variant in 5.5 where I wouldn't touch an All Star Western 10 or a Conan 1 in under 9.4.

7.5 for Gold and early Silver, 8.0 for late Silver and Bronze, 9.0 for Copper and Modern. I find it to be a bit more than a relative term ( If the highest graded copy of a rare book is a 5.0, that's not "high grade"), but still somewhat subjective given the general availability of superior copies of books in general from the era. While books just qualifying are not going to seem particularly high grade compared to 9.4 and up copies in any era, their overall quality (if accurately graded) should be such that they are attractive copies with the sort of flaws someone outside the hobby would not be quick to notice. 

There is a little room at the edges as far as CGC graded books are concerned. I've seen GA books with a 7.5 label that I wouldn't consider "high grade" as they have too much tanning, foxing or dust shadowing that has a negative impact on eye-appeal to the point where they just don't look nice enough to be considered "high grade" IMHO. Conversely there are 7.0s which seem harshly graded and definitely have "high grade" eye appeal. 

On 7/2/2023 at 9:48 AM, bronze johnny said:

In general, high grade war, romance, and western comics are relatively scarcer than superhero books published in the Bronze, Silver, and Golden Ages. Also depends on the relative scarcity of the comic book in question. A 6.0 gerber 8 might be the highest graded copy in existence so that would be a high graded copy. 

This; it depends on the era, genre, and issue. For foreign GA I think 6.0 is high grade on many books. For EC PCH 9.2/9.4 seems high grade to me.