• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When did the first "selling back issue comic books" advertisement first appear in a comic book and who placed it?
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Just rebadging some old comics and see the selling back issue ads and wondering when first such ad appeared and who placed it.  thanks.

Also, while we're at it: Why does some comic print seem to bleed into the page worse than other?

Edited by NoMan

I'm going on memory here, so mileage my vary ... but Rogofsy had adds in TV Guide in '65. I do remember seeing an unrecognized seller in the Marvel comics that was earlier than Rogofsky or Grand Book ... can't remember the name but pretty sure about 1965. As Shad mentioned there were the very occasional ad in the GA. GOD BLESS ... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 7/6/2023 at 12:45 AM, jpepx78 said:

billboard 3-21-42.jpg

878 Broadway NYC.....hmmmm  hm

Directly across the street from where Metropolis Comics was located at one time! (873 Broadway)

Now we know where Stevie and Vinny got that massive Indiana Jones-size inventory from! By tunneling underground and finding some time capsule hidden away in some wall across the street!

Can you say "From the Bengor Pedigree Collection" coming soon to a theater near you?

image.thumb.png.233c14bbda5ebcbfda6581601797acd1.png

Edited by DanCooper

On 7/6/2023 at 12:45 AM, jpepx78 said:

These ads were in Billboard magazine dated 3/14/42 & 3/21/42 respectively.

Buy hundreds or thousands of old books.

Action 45, Superman 15 and More Fun 76 seem to be pretty good deals at 2-3 cents each but who wants Mickey Finn?

billboard ad 3-14-42.jpg

billboard 3-21-42.jpg

Those books are probably remaindered, and thus junk. Save your $1.95. (I mean, you certainly aren't considering spending $19 american dollars on that trash, right?). Probably lots of duplicates in those piles as well. Like anyone needs multiple stripped copies of Captain America #3...:eyeroll:

On 7/6/2023 at 8:57 AM, DanCooper said:

Directly across the street from where Metropolis Comics was located at one time! (873 Broadway)

Now we know where Stevie and Vinny got that massive Indiana Jones-size inventory from! By tunneling underground and finding some time capsule hidden away in some wall across the street!

Way to live up to your forum name!

On 7/7/2023 at 5:29 AM, stock_rotation said:

Those books are probably remaindered, and thus junk. Save your $1.95. (I mean, you certainly aren't considering spending $19 american dollars on that trash, right?). Probably lots of duplicates in those piles as well. Like anyone needs multiple stripped copies of Captain America #3...:eyeroll:

Yes. Gimme!