• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Funny Story About Iron Fist #14
1 1

80 posts in this topic

On 7/9/2023 at 10:52 AM, Hschwartz said:

I remember them having stacks and stacks of Peter Parker #1 which I think came out in 1976 or so.

Yes, someone definitely cornered the market on those at the distribution level. That first issue never made it here to Australian newsagents at all. Likewise for Nova #1, Howard the Duck #1 and others I was looking forward to at the time.

Iron Fist 14’s one of my favourite BA comics.

I have a 9.4 slab, but also later on treated myself to what’s an even better-looking UHG raw. Superbly presenting copy.

Anyway, my tale comes from the opposite end of the collecting period to that of the OP, being in the very last package I received before I gave up buying original comics in late 2015.

I remember it well as the day felt really old school winter; snowbound, very dry and biting cold, which is a rarity here now, but it reminded of when I was a kid and was just starting to hunt around for what were then very recent 1970s comics.

Something full circle about the ambience that day and receiving such an amazing comic, bringing it all flooding back, and just seeing everything sent off to a very satisfying conclusion.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 7/11/2023 at 10:52 PM, paqart said:

That makes the price variant less rare than a lot of modern newsstand editions

They are far more rare, but people don't scour the world for the modern newsies and you're only looking at graded copies so that data is not representative in the least.

On 7/11/2023 at 10:52 PM, paqart said:

That makes the price variant less rare than a lot of modern newsstand editions

For instance, @PeterPark, Ultimate Fallout #4 newsstand (none listed) vs direct (17,001). When I counted these based on cover images, I crossed the 1,500 mark before I found a single newsstand edition. Or a more common newsstand that still isn't common, Hulk #1 (2008): Direct: 4,107, Newsstand: 64. Or, Amazing Spider-Man 606: Direct: 1,945. Newsstand: 38.

On 7/12/2023 at 2:06 PM, PeterPark said:

They are far more rare, but people don't scour the world for the modern newsies and you're only looking at graded copies so that data is not representative in the least.

So, people aren't "scouring the world" for newsstand editions of Ultimate Fallout #4? Seems to me, that is a very popular and valuable comic that will get slabbed and sold regardless of edition, yet very few newsstands, described as such or not, have seen the light of day.

On 7/12/2023 at 2:16 PM, paqart said:

So, people aren't "scouring the world" for newsstand editions of Ultimate Fallout #4? Seems to me, that is a very popular and valuable comic that will get slabbed and sold regardless of edition, yet very few newsstands, described as such or not, have seen the light of day.

You also have to get the book graded. IF 14 price variant has been graded for far longer, and regraded.

On 7/12/2023 at 2:18 PM, PeterPark said:

You also have to get the book graded. IF 14 price variant has been graded for far longer, and regraded.

My search for newsstands wasn't restricted to slabs or CGC. they are legitimately very rare. From what I have seen, it is much easier to find a 35 cent variant of Star Wars #1 than a newsstand UF 4. Most "common" newsstands post 2000 show up around 1:35 to 1:50 ratio NS to direct. The harder to find issues are more like 1:100-1:200. After that, they seem nonexistent until, after years of looking (like UF 4), one appears. Then, the wait begins anew. This is not simply a matter of less interesting/less valuable comics. Some of these are far more valuable in direct than many 30 or 35 cent price variants, thus justifying having them slabbed and putting them up for sale. And yet, they appear in much smaller proportions than the 1970's price variants. I buy from all of these categories and can say that any time I want one of these variants, provided the price is right, I can find it within a few minutes in most cases, or a few days for the more difficult issues. With newsstands, I have yet to see even one example of some. To make it even more difficult, finding them in a decent grade is even harder. I have two newsstand Daredevill #111's (first Lady Bullseye). Both are in grades I normally wouldn't buy (7 and 7.5) but they are the best I've seen for that issue.

On 7/12/2023 at 1:06 PM, PeterPark said:

(thumbsu

The comparison is so absurd on so many levels that it's almost impossible to believe that somebody made it.

On 7/12/2023 at 3:46 PM, PeterPark said:

Good luck finding and affording them with that (thumbsu

Looks like IF 14/35 cent is more expensive than I thought. It looks comparable to UF4, rather than something that could be bought in multiple for the price of 1 UF4.

Budget:
UF4/NS (3 available right now on eBay, priced $6,499/9.2, $10,500/9.4, Price N/A  ongoing auction/8.0):

$18,644 (9.6, 2022 sale)

$8,100 (9.8, 2020 sale) 

$3,700-6,650 (9.0-9.6, most recent sale in 2020)

$2,750, (9.0, 2023 sale)

IF 14 (4 available right now on eBay)

$9,600, 7.5 (asking price)

$4,200, 6.0 (asking price)

$4,999, 6.0 (asking price)

$7,050, 7.5 (asking price)

$1,674-$4,000 (8.0-9.0)

Based on the sold prices for UF 4 and asking prices for IF 14, the two comics are about comparable in value. Meaning, they would be about a 1:1 swap depending on condition. On that basis, I retract my previous willingness to make a swap because I do like IF 14 more. I had the impression it was a $3,000 comic in 9.6, not a $10,000+ comic in that grade.

As for finding them, looks like both are available right now, though IF 14 would be tougher in equivalent grade. That said, the opposite is also true. There aren't 6.0-7.5 UF 4's available.

PS: So far we're talking price, not rarity. I still think UF 4 is more rare than the IF 14 35 cent price variant.

Edited by paqart

The estimates I've seen have the distribution of 35 cent variants around 1500 and Ultimate Fallout 4 newsstands around 2000. The key difference is that one came out in 1977 vs 2011.  The number of buyers that read/stash away in 2011 has got to be infinitely higher vs. 1977.

With no evidence, I'd guess 300 IF #14s variants exist and 1500 UF4 newsstands exist.

On 7/12/2023 at 6:01 PM, WernerVonDoom said:

The estimates I've seen have the distribution of 35 cent variants around 1500 and Ultimate Fallout 4 newsstands around 2000. The key difference is that one came out in 1977 vs 2011.  The number of buyers that read/stash away in 2011 has got to be infinitely higher vs. 1977.

With no evidence, I'd guess 300 IF #14s variants exist and 1500 UF4 newsstands exist.

If that was true, and it might be, I would expect to see more UF4 NS copies in the marketplace than copies of IF 14 35 cent CPVs. Most of the time, there aren't any copies of UF4 available despite strong incentives to sell due to high prices. IF4, OTOH, is available as a 35 cent CPV pretty much any time you want to find one. That means to me that regardless of print runs, UF4 is less common than IF4. It would be interesting how long it would take to find 10 copies of each for sale, starting right now.

On 7/12/2023 at 3:06 PM, paqart said:

If that was true, and it might be, I would expect to see more UF4 NS copies in the marketplace than copies of IF 14 35 cent CPVs. Most of the time, there aren't any copies of UF4 available despite strong incentives to sell due to high prices. IF4, OTOH, is available as a 35 cent CPV pretty much any time you want to find one. That means to me that regardless of print runs, UF4 is less common than IF4. It would be interesting how long it would take to find 10 copies of each for sale, starting right now.

Finding for sale is a different issue. No doubt that there way more ungraded low grade UF4s sitting in people's collections (both knowingly and unknowingly).