• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WB Studios' WONKA starring Timothee Chalamet (12/15/23)

25 posts in this topic

On 7/14/2023 at 8:33 AM, drotto said:

The near perfect movie for Wonka already exists.  It stars a wonderful actor named Gene Wilder, so I see no need for this film.

I wonder if Hollywood execs assume reutilization of established IP is more effective than creating new content that then requires extensive marketing in order to win over the general audience. It has to be the mindset.

Though I look at Disney with its re-release of animated hits as live productions, which then the general audience goes back to rewatch the same stories again (so double bang for the buck for the studio).

On 7/14/2023 at 9:08 AM, Bosco685 said:

I wonder if Hollywood execs assume reutilization of established IP is more effective than creating new content that then requires extensive marketing in order to win over the general audience. It has to be the mindset.

Though I look at Disney with its re-release of animated hits as live productions, which then the general audience goes back to rewatch the same stories again (so double bang for the buck for the studio).

I know the logic, does not mean I like it.  Plus, this is an IP that has already been re-imagined, so how many times are they going to go down that road.

I also think with some of the recent remakes and underperforming of nostalgia laced films, we are at the point of diminishing returns for those types of projects.  At some point fresh IP is needed.

If the whimsey and heart are on point this might be okay, if not than it will be as bad as the Depp version.

First Wonka Reactions Are In, And Timothée Chalamet's Performance Is Getting A Lot Of Praise

After many 2023 new movie releases from famous franchises like The Hunger Games, Saw and Transformers have explored the origins of famous characters, the trend continues this holiday season with Warner Bros’ Wonka. The family movie imagines the life of Willy Wonka before his chocolate factory was built as told in Roald Dahl’s best selling children’s novel, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. But is it worth your time? According to the first reactions to the movie, it is, especially for the sweetness Timothée Chalamet brings. 

In terms of the theatrical release I see this being a disaster.  Who really is clambering for and willing to shell out $10 - $15 to see this in a theater?  I liked the Depp version but even that one felt a bit pushed in terms of being must watch tv. 

I'd honestly never heard of it or seen an ad.