• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Typical Mile High

59 posts in this topic

How much you want to bet that this will be the book you would receive if you won the auction-

94846929438.1.GIF

See anything wrong with the right hand corner?

He always has this disclaimer in his auctions -

The image in this listing is from a random copy of this product that we have had in stock recently. It probably will not be the item we send you, nor even representative of the grade of this item, but is meant to help you determine if this is the item you want. Please view our grading standards for details on a specific grade.

I bet the copy you receive will be identical or worse than what is pictured.

Why anybody ever buys anything from him, I will never know.

How much you want to bet that this will be the book you would receive if you won the auction-

94846929438.1.GIF

See anything wrong with the right hand corner?

He always has this disclaimer in his auctions -

The image in this listing is from a random copy of this product that we have had in stock recently. It probably will not be the item we send you, nor even representative of the grade of this item, but is meant to help you determine if this is the item you want. Please view our grading standards for details on a specific grade.

Duh... 50-84% off sales and turkey farms!!!

I bet the copy your receive will be identical or worse than what is pictured.

Why anybody ever buys anything from him, I will never know.

Duh, 50-84% off sales, and turkey farms.

mile high comic SUCKS! always has!!! always will!!!

they are so 20th century (outdated and no longer useful) it is amazing he finally found his way onto ebay! Thank God ebay has set me free from shady dealers like Chuck! Ebay is so 21st century when it comes buying and selling comics finally we are free from having no choice--we no longer have to deal with overpriced dealers and overstreets chronies if we don't feel like it!!! What freedom -- it feels great!!!!

If I just wanted to read a particular issue and it was a cheap copy, I might buy from them. But I find it totally jaw-dropping that they put the same disclaimer on comics selling for $1,000 upwards - and on CGC copies! Does anyone really go for those auctions?

mile high comic SUCKS! always has!!! always will!!!

I'll still buy a certified comic from them if the price is right.

It never is, even with their 40% off sales, you can still get something better at the same price or cheaper.

i used them once to buy a huge run of conan's in the 80-200's for $.75 to a $1.00 each in vf to nm- and a cheap run of nm Sojourns. Other than that i dont touch em.

If I just wanted to read a particular issue and it was a cheap copy, I might buy from them. But I find it totally jaw-dropping that they put the same disclaimer on comics selling for $1,000 upwards - and on CGC copies! Does anyone really go for those auctions?

No one here.

you can still get something better at the same price or cheaper.

Honestly though, that applies to every major dealer. With effort and patience, you can find virtually any book in any grade cheaper on eBay than you can from anyone's site. Wait a month and watch auctions carefully and you can save 25%-95% off big dealer prices. Mile High isn't much different. It's a site for people who either don't have the time to shop around, or don't care if they are paying too much. Obviously there are a lot more of these collectors than anyone realizes. Personally, I would never order from an online dealer again, and that includes Metro, Doug Sulipa, Blazingbob, and all the rest. I haven't been impressed with any large dealer's grading, service or pricing. I have had far better luck on eBay and I am not just talking about raw VFs either. Slabs tend to go for less as well, if you have the patience to wait awhile. confused-smiley-013.gif

Honestly though, that applies to every major dealer. With effort and patience, you can find virtually any book in any grade cheaper on eBay than you can from anyone's site. Wait a month and watch auctions carefully and you can save 25%-95% off big dealer prices. Mile High isn't much different. It's a site for people who either don't have the time to shop around, or don't care if they are paying too much. Obviously there are a lot more of these collectors than anyone realizes. Personally, I would never order from an online dealer again, and that includes Metro, Doug Sulipa, Blazingbob, and all the rest. I haven't been impressed with any large dealer's grading, service or pricing. I have had far better luck on eBay and I am not just talking about raw VFs either. Slabs tend to go for less as well, if you have the patience to wait awhile. confused-smiley-013.gif

That simply is not the case with the dealers you mentioned. No way are any of those dealer's grading anywhere near as bad as Mile High nor their pricing. I have personally received comics from them that were 6 or 7 grades off. The last one was a ASM that had a Coke bottle impression with water damage. It was sent to me as a 9.4. When I called to return they told me to return and do not do business with them because I was a picky collector. Do you really think Metro or Bob Storms would ever make a mistake like that? Let alone give me an attitude for returning it? Never would happen with any other professional dealer.

I do not agree with Metro's stratospheric pricing on some books but they have always been professional. They are simply a better company in nearly every respect compared to Mile High. In reference to Bob Storms, I have bought a couple of thousands dollars worth of books from him and the prices have always been pretty good as well as the grading. Typically, the slabbed books were about 2.5 times guide - pretty much what I would get on eBay but with the bonus of having a dealer who lives 20 minutes from me.

Mile High has an ASM 1 in VG with regular price of $10,000 and a sale price of $7,000. That means their grade of VG is really a G or less in everyone else's book. That book is worth $1000 - $1800 depending on the real grade. What do yo think any of those other dealers would sell the book for? I just looked at Metro, I could get a VF for less money than that or the same grade of over $5000 less.

While I understand where you are coming from , there is no way I would put Mile High in the same class of those other dealers. The only class I would categorize them is low.

Agreed. I buy from Doug all the time and his grading is tremendous even if the prices are a bit high. At least you know what you are getting. I ordered a few books from lonestar comics advertised as NM and all of them were F/VF- MAX. Cannot recommend them. Mile High. No comment.

I am not directly comparing those dealers to Mile High. Mile High is in a class by itself. 27_laughing.gif I am only saying that, compared to eBay, you are going to overpay for virtually any book from a big dealer. A lot of their business is generated from collectors who find the convenience outweighs the premium they are going to have to pay. MH is an extreme example, since you are going to pay out the arse and take the grading gamble anyway, but the time commitment element is present in the majority of purchases made with a big dealer. Many, many collectors don't look that hard at the bottom line, and large sites thrive on that.

People love to say how accurate this dealers grading is, or that dealers, but I have purchased many books from many big dealers and I haven't been impressed by their grading abilities AT ALL. Board members and a few good eBay sellers will get you a better book at a fraction of the cost virtually every time. You may have to wait a few months, but patience pays off.

Just for fun (and during halftime) I put together a price breakdown of some major dealers on a pretty common key BA book that I happened to buy on eBay just last week. I paid $90 for my Conan 1, which can be seen in the grading forum. The consensus was that it's a strong 8.5, most likely a 9.0. Out of curiousity, I checked out how some major online dealers stacked up...

eBay: $90

Mile High: $318 (on sale 27_laughing.gif) VF

Superworld: $175 VF+

Metro: $179 (on sale) VF+

Bob Storms: $250 VF/NM

Bedrock City: $300 VF/NM

Harley Yee: $375 VF/NM

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

People love to say how accurate this dealers grading is, or that dealers, but I have purchased many books from many big dealers and I haven't been impressed by their grading abilities AT ALL. Board members and a few good eBay sellers will get you a better book at a fraction of the cost virtually every time. You may have to wait a few months, but patience pays off.

Give this boy a NO PRIZE 893applaud-thumb.gif