• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whats your top 3 all time favourite books under 5$?
3 3

39 posts in this topic

Oh my god, i was sleeping during the time everyone has post!!!... because the gap of hours. Thanks for all of your sharing on the topic guys!

I m eager to read it!

Edited by BA773

On 7/17/2023 at 2:35 PM, Gonzimodo said:

I was considering putting Squadron Supreme on my list, but I couldn't decide which issue.  I was leaning toward #12, which absolutely shocked me as a teen.  :jawdrop:

That’s a great issue, and choice for the thread.

Firmly tied to nostalgia.

Excalibur Special Edition (aka the Sword is Drawn) was released around the time I first discovered an actual comic shop, as I'd just been buying comics off the rack at the convenience store at the end of the street. I was a budding X-Men obsessive, and the Alan Davis art, the prestige format, and the presence of my favorite characters (Kitty and Nightcrawler) made this so special to me. So, whenever I find them for a buck, I scoop them up.

Havok and Wolverine: Meltdown - it was the day after Christmas, I went to Kroger with my Dad, I had a couple of bucks in my pocket, and this was on the stands. The funky painted art seemed so odd and alien to me. I was in love. In hindsight it's not a great story, but again, that pull of nostalgia is strong. I have stacks of these, and when I find them for $1, I buy them.

Gen 13 1 - this is nostalgia from a different time, I was entering my 20's and working at a comic shop. This book was red hot at the time, a $50-$60 wall book. So now, when I see them for $1, I can't NOT buy them. It's automatic. 

(Pics courtesy of MCS)

4332015.jpg

643203.jpg

864769.jpg

Edited by F For Fake

I was still buying new issues to read back in 96, my Son was in the Navy, aboard the USS Trenton in the Mediterranean.

The only communication we had was by hand written letter, he was interested in comics and I told him about a new mini-series coming out that I was excited about, he was very interested and wanted to know the whole story, so, as each issue came out I would write him a letter explaining the story and what happened with each of the characters in that story.

Sorry to the OP, there are 4 issues in the min-series. :sorry:

thumbnail.jpg

For a very long time, I would pick up every 9.8 candidate of these for $5 or less. I still do, but the prices are usually well over $5.

New Teen Titans 23

New Teen Titans Annual 2

Vigilante 1

New Teen Titans 39

One that I still do find for $5 and under is Defenders 95. It’s not valuable, but has a Dracula appearance.

With a little luck, I still find high grade copies of Doctor Strange for $5 or less. It’s the Montessi Formula storyline, or at least the last issues of it. 58-62.

I can still find RONIN 1-5 in high grade in the $5 bins.  #6 always goes for more, but well worth the search to complete this great series.

Black Dragon mini-series by Claremont and Bolton.  Great storyline, stunning artwork, and every issue is $5 or less in NM/M

Miller/Romita Jr/Williamson Daredevil Man Without Fear mini-series.  The definitive Origin story of DD and Elektra, with gorgeous art and truly a bargain at $5 or less per issue in NM/M

What If 3 is a great pick! :applause:

Here are 2, not-yet-mentioned favorite choices that I reserve the right to change at a whim.

The original FF 108 is a contorted mix of Kirby work and Buscema pages forced in to “fix” some forgotten (by me) nitpicks. This was published so we could have Kirby’s entire story. 

IMG_1516.thumb.jpeg.0f35a66e07fd37d31d0a640139e137bb.jpeg

1976 was a huge year for me comic book wise. I read and loved lots of annuals and giant size! Also acceptable would be Iron Man annual 4 or Daredevil annual 4, but Cap gets the nod.

IMG_1088.thumb.jpeg.afe3858fe8bc7f2728be2441823c4125.jpeg

I love low grade books, so I’m including these; each purchased for 5 or less.

IMG_2623.thumb.jpeg.d97ca91b6c83590d99037317567ee90a.jpegIMG_2024.thumb.jpeg.1cd8ce6b88aec10ee41182bd63e940ad.jpegIMG_1995.thumb.jpeg.153964c70bd77995a3fc1e0479427a59.jpegIMG_1847.thumb.jpeg.4eaeaaea7275fdd4b7149cf16604b917.jpegIMG_1840.thumb.jpeg.43c896dad22deb44f66f9e7614c842d1.jpegIMG_1598.thumb.jpeg.2ed597e473299aa1688aca7b2baad30f.jpegIMG_1596.thumb.jpeg.e9ed14b5bfd90cc5218b3790c50619ec.jpegIMG_1597.thumb.jpeg.e11f9f703f8c3e5799689e6c5e13a5a4.jpegIMG_0805.thumb.jpeg.1731b982f18225213519936bd43a2f8a.jpeg

IMG_2144.jpeg

Edited by KirbyJack

I'm late to this topic, I know, but after reading it I literally searched the back issues at a local shop and bought 3 of my favorite under $5 comics for under $5 each! I left the price tags on them for your enjoyment.

1. What If 25 is simply my favorite What If comic, and one of my favorite comics of all time. It just holds a great place in my memory because I was awed at all the death and high stakes wrapped into 1 epic comic book when I read it as a kid. I've always loved What If. I mean, you see my  avatar, right?

2. Batgirl 73 is a great finale to an awesome bat book that unfortunately was cut short during the DC era of Didio. Cassandra Cain's series actually gave her solid growth and development, but that all went away with editorial mandate and event reformatting. Anyhow, I love the book.

3. And Obnoxio the Clown VS the X-Men, similar to an Impossible man post above, is just a ridiculous fun time. Obnoxio holds his own against the X-Men as he goes to the Mansion at Xavier's request to host a surprise birthday party for Kitty Pryde. Unfortunately the rest of the team wasn't informed, so they think he's an intruder and hilarity ensues (all while a real intruder schemes in the background).

three.jpg

On 8/24/2023 at 2:25 AM, BuraddoRun said:

I'm late to this topic, I know, but after reading it I literally searched the back issues at a local shop and bought 3 of my favorite under $5 comics for under $5 each! I left the price tags on them for your enjoyment.

1. What If 25 is simply my favorite What If comic, and one of my favorite comics of all time. It just holds a great place in my memory because I was awed at all the death and high stakes wrapped into 1 epic comic book when I read it as a kid. I've always loved What If. I mean, you see my  avatar, right?

2. Batgirl 73 is a great finale to an awesome bat book that unfortunately was cut short during the DC era of Didio. Cassandra Cain's series actually gave her solid growth and development, but that all went away with editorial mandate and event reformatting. Anyhow, I love the book.

3. And Obnoxio the Clown VS the X-Men, similar to an Impossible man post above, is just a ridiculous fun time. Obnoxio holds his own against the X-Men as he goes to the Mansion at Xavier's request to host a surprise birthday party for Kitty Pryde. Unfortunately the rest of the team wasn't informed, so they think he's an intruder and hilarity ensues (all while a real intruder schemes in the background).

three.jpg

Thanks for this amazing post, especially love this "end of" Batgirl cover!