• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grade is in: Sun of Vulcan 50
2 2

10 posts in this topic

From my ongoing debate over whether a book like this is hard to find b/c there aren't many out there, or b/c people think there's insufficient demand to try & sell them (shrug) There are low grade copies, but this was the best I found. Notable for being Roy Thomas's first* professional work, but oddly no sig series on the census. One obvious defect is the creasing around the N of SON & the paper is tanning, most noticeably on the inside of the front cover. All the copies of this book I've seen appear to have these offset staples.

*Clearly RT's first work in comics was in his Alter Ego fanzines or some other pre-professional creative endeavor. Professionally, it looks like Modeling with Millie 44 is either tied with or was published earlier. MwM44 does not have creator credits listed and reportedly released before the cover date. SoV50 has signed credits & a cover date, but no records of a release date. You'd think history from 50-60 years ago would be easier to study than those of ancient cultures, but here we are. CGC labels say SoV is the first published RT story & MwM is RT's first work for Marvel (shrug)

SonOfVulcan-50.jpg

PXL_20230715_150419640.jpg

SonOfVulcan-50rev.jpg

PXL_20230715_150526459.jpg

PXL_20230715_150600707.jpg

Edited by scburdet