• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2023 CGC Grading Contest Summer Edition (#7) Round 4
10 10

191 posts in this topic

I ended up with 12 which I believe is my worst round ever (right on the heels of my best round).  My gut on Horrific was saying 3.0, but I put 1.8 because of the full spine tape and extra staples...must be a full spine split, no? Compared to my first glance gut grades I also hammered Doc Solar and Diary Secrets (3.5 compared to gut of 5.5 in both cases). I guess I put too much weight on the cumulative defects instead of the worst defects.  I also thought Doc Solar had rusted staples which I didn't notice in my "gut grade".  A learning round I guess, which is why I participate.

On 8/5/2023 at 6:25 PM, grendelbo said:

4 bullseyes this round. Go figure after three horrendous previous rounds. (shrug)

Mike just replied to my pm. For future contests this is what you'd want to see.

Screenshot_20230805_183650_Chrome.jpg.b36d5bacaccf2e09d2e57e00f145342f.jpg

On 8/5/2023 at 7:29 PM, flashlites said:

With the tape and the staples you gotta figure they would grade it as cover detached? Right? Plus the back cover was not in great shape, it's not like this book had any counter acting attributes to bump it. Other than it being a GA Don Heck cover :insane: 

I took it as detached also...given the xtra staples.

On 8/5/2023 at 7:56 PM, Point Five said:

Same. I never would have dreamed *any* book slathered with that hateful masking tape would break 2.0. All righty then! Tomorrow I’ll pick up a roll at the dollar store and get right to work. :busy: 

In all reality, we know a book like that should be in the 1.8-2.0 range but.....I should have given it the double bump :roflmao:

• Administrator
On 8/5/2023 at 8:31 PM, jcjames said:

Wait. Did my grades get recorded? 

I don't see them in Mike's PM???

I found our PM.  Your grades were not sent.  Sorry.

• Chilling Tales #13 - 4.5 (4.0) +1
  • Diary Secrets #30 - 4.0 (5.0) +2
  • Horrific #3  - 2.0 (3.0) +2
  • Doctor Solar #1 - 5.0 (5.0)
  • Avengers #7  - 7.0 (7.0) 

5 points - Chilling Tales looked like the better book over Diary Secrets from the front but all the damage on the back of Tales must have really sunk that book’s grade. Only book I over-graded of the 20, except for HOS 92 in rd. 2. Diary Secrets was still a surprise at 5.0.

Horrific 3 had me jumping from 1.5 to 3.0 because I couldn’t tell if or how bad the spine was split. I hedged 50% split and went 2.0, damn.

Doctor Solar was a 5.0 or 5.5 for me from the start. Went with 5.0 due to the size and prominence of the marker damage and the right edge damage/fingerprint on the front cover.

Avengers 7 reminded me of the Iron Man 55 (7.5) from Season 2 Round 1 that I under-graded badly. The top staple of the Avengers 7 was worse than IM 55. So 7.0 it is. 

Best season for me by far 23 total points with 9 bullseyes and 5 +1s. Gotta stop those big swingers though; one +4 HOS 92 and one + 5 Motion Picture 110.

Thanks again Mike and the fellow competitors. I’ll be back in the Fall to try again.

2 bullseyes but 8 points. Not too terrible I guess...

Chilling Tales #13 - 4.0 - Bullseye!

Diary Secrets #30 - 3.0 - +4

Horrific #3 - 2.0 - +2

Doctor Solar #1 - 5.0 - Bullseye!

Avengers #7 - 8.0 - +2