• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Price check More Fun #78 CGC 9.2
2 2

12 posts in this topic

On 7/18/2023 at 10:26 PM, zzutak said:

Sure: use a conventional auction format with a low starting bid.  The hammer price will, by definition, be the book's fair market value.  :foryou:

This would be the best way to do it. 

There is not a lot of sales history to go on and trying to estimate would really just be a guess. 

Based on the 2016 9.0 sale and some of the comps from other issues, my guess would be $3k - $4k? But I wouldn't be surprised if it went for much more on a good day, or a bit less on a bad day. 

On 7/19/2023 at 11:06 AM, KCOComics said:

Based on the 2016 9.0 sale and some of the comps from other issues, my guess would be $3k - $4k? But I wouldn't be surprised if it went for much more on a good day, or a bit less on a bad day. 

Thought I could get a nice 9.0 GA book (not a "key") which last sold in 2014 for $350. Went more than 10X that in a recent auction. Positing this just to say that the hammer price might not be comparable at all. lol

On 7/19/2023 at 3:15 PM, L'Angelo Misterioso said:

What's the best platform to do a no reserve auction for a book like this, where the current FMV is hard to determine? Asking because this forum clowns ebay a lot 

I would ask 4K obo. I wouldn't risk an auction because it could get lost in the shuffle of bigger books and end up a steal for someone 

On 7/19/2023 at 5:56 PM, drmccoy74 said:

I would ask 4K obo. I wouldn't risk an auction because it could get lost in the shuffle of bigger books and end up a steal for someone 

That's been my concern. I feel like if you don't have a high rep on ebay and your book isn't a popular thing like Detective Comics or a Spectre cover, it's easy to for the auction to get buried and end low. If I were OP, I would only do an auction for this book if I had a popular ebay page such that the listing would get a lot of views/watchers.

There's also the consignment route.  There are a number of high integrity national dealers with reasonable consignment fees (typically lower than what Fee-bay charges) and large customer clientele.  They could best advise you on setting a list price, and you won't run the risk of selling your book at an auction that gives a spurious low result.  If your book doesn't sell, after a period of time or a situation arises where you need fast cash, you can always go the auction route.