• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Curious to Where Original Tarpe Mills Miss Fury Art/Strips/Covers Are?

7 posts in this topic

Have many of these survived? Did the covers to the Timely books survive? I don't know a lot about this era of art, but figured someone might have a story or two.

The Timely comic books consisted entirely of strip reprints if I remember correctly.

There are strip examples out there but not a whole lot.

Covers?  I can't remember seeing one which is not surprising given the extreme rarity of original Timely cover art.

On 7/22/2023 at 12:33 PM, pemart1966 said:

I can't remember seeing one which is not surprising given the extreme rarity of original Timely cover art.

Is there a reason why the Timely stuff isn’t around? Was it just destroyed at some point? I can’t imagine not having a Morgue File of artwork, but it was also the 40s so who knows. Paper could have been pulped for the war perhaps?

From the 40s I am always amazed how any art survived. The stories of it being burnt, given away, used as floor mats in the office. It wasn't until the rise of fandom that some sort of value was assigned to it, and it really took the NY Cons to make the publishers aware of what was happening.

The story goes that the owner of Quality Comics cut up Jack Cole's Plastic Man are to prevent others from reprinting it. :(

Seemed an odd thing to do since that thought implies that there was a market for reprints and one would assume a good business man would want that market. Never the less, it was all destroyed. :(

On 7/22/2023 at 8:53 PM, alxjhnsn said:

The story goes that the owner of Quality Comics cut up Jack Cole's Plastic Man are to prevent others from reprinting it. :(

Seemed an odd thing to do since that thought implies that there was a market for reprints and one would assume a good business man would want that market. Never the less, it was all destroyed. :(

That sounds like the owner had a serious beef with Jack Cole. Destroying an obvious future revenue source? That kind of decision making is usually instigated by a serious dislike for someone on a personal level.

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 7/23/2023 at 10:39 AM, Dr. Balls said:

That sounds like the owner had a serious beef with Jack Cole. Destroying an obvious future revenue source? That kind of decision making is usually instigated by a serious dislike for someone on a personal level.

It wasn't just Jack, it was all of Quality's output. Very stupid in my opinion.