• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

High Value Comic Shipping
3 3

56 posts in this topic

Have few comics I will be submitting in the Unlimited tier (each will have a $3k+ FMV).  Paranoid about shipping, insurance, etc   Any recommendations on carriers?  I have obtained some Gemini boxes and packing and also have a CGC ship kit coming.  Just looking for the best way to handle this.

On 7/24/2023 at 10:48 AM, JBell60 said:

Have few comics I will be submitting in the Unlimited tier (each will have a $3k+ FMV).  Paranoid about shipping, insurance, etc   Any recommendations on carriers?  I have obtained some Gemini boxes and packing and also have a CGC ship kit coming.  Just looking for the best way to handle this.

USPS Express Mail, can insure for $5k.  Or do Registered Mail, can insure for up to $25k, but it's notoriously slow and the tracking will often go days without updating - so you'll drive yourself a bit crazy for up to a week or two while it's in transit.

I'd go with Registered, as previously mentioned.

And over-pack it. From inside to out: book, padding, box, more padding, outer box. Don't take any chances.

And yes, no plastic tape, paper tape only. They have to have a paper surface to red stamp all over it as security detection. 

On 7/24/2023 at 11:05 AM, Action252Kid said:

USPS Express Mail, can insure for $5k.  Or do Registered Mail, can insure for up to $25k, but it's notoriously slow and the tracking will often go days without updating - so you'll drive yourself a bit crazy for up to a week or two while it's in transit.

Agreed... either of these is the way to go. (thumbsu

The thing I worry about with all shipping carriers is what "IF" something does go wrong in getting the books there.  Damaged? Lost?(This seems straight forward and should be easy to get reimbursed)...Will USPS honor the insurance you paid for and reimburse you for your high dollar value books..ie. let's choose 20K as an example.  Is it that cut and dry in filing a claim?  (Now, I hope nobody has had to do this for a large amount like over $5,000+ ).   I remember having to file a claim for a $100 book and I had to wait 3 months to get my money.  
Be it $100 or $10,000 is still just a 3 month wait for USPS anyway?   

On 7/24/2023 at 3:38 PM, musicmeta said:

The thing I worry about with all shipping carriers is what "IF" something does go wrong in getting the books there.  Damaged? Lost?(This seems straight forward and should be easy to get reimbursed)...Will USPS honor the insurance you paid for and reimburse you for your high dollar value books..ie. let's choose 20K as an example.  Is it that cut and dry in filing a claim?  (Now, I hope nobody has had to do this for a large amount like over $5,000+ ).   I remember having to file a claim for a $100 book and I had to wait 3 months to get my money.  
Be it $100 or $10,000 is still just a 3 month wait for USPS anyway?   

What price is peace of mind?  Right now, the delivery services are using a lot of summer help and in the not-so-distant future, they'll be hiring Christmas help. 

Do you want your book sitting in an unconditioned truck as we navigate record heat?

From the one time I dealt with the post office insurance system, I was glad I was shipping omnibi and the like because I don't think they'd have grasped the value of a 9.4 vs 9.8.  It wasn't easy collecting., and I needed to get MCS involved three times. 

The occasion a package was lost was much easier to collect. 

Edited by shadroch

On 7/24/2023 at 6:30 PM, mattn792 said:

OK, now that you’ve tried to impress everyone by waving your wang at yet another thread, let’s get back to giving the OP real advice.

:roflmao:

To be fair there wasn’t enough action in the veiled Florida/Disney thread to stay occupied.

On 7/24/2023 at 3:30 PM, mattn792 said:

OK, now that you’ve tried to impress everyone by waving your wang at yet another thread, let’s get back to giving the OP real advice.

For example - @JBell60, registered is also significantly cheaper than Express.  As long as you’re not in a time crunch on getting the books turned around from CGC, registered should be your best bet.

He asked about shipping hi value books.   Feel free to share your experiences with them.  How long did your last Registered book take to get there and what did it cost? Isn't postal insurance around $1.5 per $100?  Even if it isn't the cheapest option, hand-delivering books of great worth is worth it for peace of mind.

If you buy a book from a seller and its damaged, USPS insurance is very quick to repay you. They have the exact value and its easy. If you are sending raw books to CGC that is going to be tough to get full value from any insurer.

So your best bet is to reduce the chance of them being lost/stolen/damaged in the first place, which would be USPS registered.

On 7/24/2023 at 5:25 PM, WernerVonDoom said:

If you buy a book from a seller and its damaged, USPS insurance is very quick to repay you. They have the exact value and its easy. If you are sending raw books to CGC that is going to be tough to get full value from any insurer.

So your best bet is to reduce the chance of them being lost/stolen/damaged in the first place, which would be USPS registered.

I don't think it is that simple.  Send a Spidey 1 thru the mail and claim it went from an 8.0 to a 4.0 and is now worth $15,000 less and see how quickly they pay out.

Small claims they pay out as it isn't worth investigating. Shipping insurance generally sucks and is filled with unexpected pitfalls. 

On 7/24/2023 at 5:38 PM, shadroch said:

I don't think it is that simple.  Send a Spidey 1 thru the mail and claim it went from an 8.0 to a 4.0 and is now worth $15,000 less and see how quickly they pay out.

Small claims they pay out as it isn't worth investigating. Shipping insurance generally sucks and is filled with unexpected pitfalls. 

Well, I wasn't thinking of a purchased $15,000 raw book. Does that even happen anymore? Slabs will show damage - USPS will keep the book, buy you should get your purchase price on a slab.

But yeah, raw books either way are difficult.

On 7/24/2023 at 6:45 PM, shadroch said:

He asked about shipping hi value books.   Feel free to share your experiences with them.  How long did your last Registered book take to get there and what did it cost? Isn't postal insurance around $1.5 per $100?  Even if it isn't the cheapest option, hand-delivering books of great worth is worth it for peace of mind.

And whoosh goes the point.