• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did the Vertigo and DC title was often connected?
1 1

19 posts in this topic

A great things that make me love DC comics is all of this iconics charachters with a epic legacy and the connexion between them in her respective titles. 

Actually im looking a bit about the vertigo titles but i am not sure that i would like it because of what i explained, I'm afraid that the universe is too closed. 

Swamp things seems too be more often than the other in the dc universe but i think its because it is a time he was on DC Label.

So my question is more about Sandman or Hellblazer. 

I want some feedbacks if they are some readers here.

Edited by BA773

Before the actual Vertigo split they interacted a lot; Martian Manhunter and Mister Miracle are in Sandman #5, when Morpheus is trying to recover his ruby.  It also ties into the Golden Age DC stories with Wesley Dodds as Sandman and even the Kirby Sandman series in #40 (I think).  In the "A Game of You" storyline Neil had to use "Weirdzo Superman" as a comic book character because they wouldn't let him have Bizarro comics since Sandman was taking place in a universe where Bizarro was real.

And yes, Animal Man has a lot of tie-in, as a member of Justice League Europe and even met Psycho-Pirate in #24.  Psycho-Pirate remembers pre-Crisis on Infinite Earths continuity...

Thanks for your share, seems to be some real fans! 

An other question what about Swamp thing after Alan Moore leave the title? If i m right there is an omnibus from Collins so i deduce it was probably a really good one too. Im interest about the work of every author between 1987 to 2011, whats the best reading?

I generally concur with the above. Veitch who immediately followed Alan was every bit as good as Moore. I didn't like the Wheeler and Collins runs that followed nearly as much, but Mark Millar brought the 80's series to a conclusion in spectacular fashion. His stories compared favorably to the epic (and still uncompleted) Rick Veitch run. None of the various series that have followed, usually 20-30 issues, have come close to the high water mark set by Moore, Veitch, and Millar. 

On 7/27/2023 at 7:18 PM, wardevil0 said:

Swamp Thing continued to be excellent after Alan Moore left... the immediate follow-up by Rick Veitch is every bit as good as Alan Moore's, especially as Swamp Thing was cast backwards through time (which is due to another DC Universe tie-in, the Invasion! crossover).  Doug Wheeler writing the conception and birth of Swamp Thing's daughter, Tefe... the Quest for the Elementals, all good stuff.  After Collins, Mark Millar's were pretty good too.  I stopped reading not long after that, though.

Sometimes my english lost me sorry, what you would say by "Swamp Thing was cast backwards through"?? 

Thanks for your opinion.

On 7/28/2023 at 2:08 AM, BA773 said:

Sometimes my english lost me sorry, what you would say by "Swamp Thing was cast backwards through"?? 

Thanks for your opinion.

It's actually kind of tough to explain... Swamp Thing was sent backwards through time, point to point, mostly through historic DC characters.  So, in No. 82 Swamp Thing was in World War II with Sgt. Rock, in No. 83 Swamp Thing was in World War I with Enemy Ace, in No. 85 Swamp Thing was in the American West with Jonah Hex, in No. 86 Swamp Thing was in the American Revolution with Tomahawk, in No. 87 Swamp Thing was in Camelot with King Arthur and the Demon Etrigan.  Eventually, Swamp Thing was going to meet Jesus and Swamp Thing's body would be the wood of the cross, but after the issue was written and drawn DC pulled the plug.  Rick Veitch offered some compromise, but eventually had to quit over it.

On 7/28/2023 at 11:06 AM, wardevil0 said:

It's actually kind of tough to explain... Swamp Thing was sent backwards through time, point to point, mostly through historic DC characters.  So, in No. 82 Swamp Thing was in World War II with Sgt. Rock, in No. 83 Swamp Thing was in World War I with Enemy Ace, in No. 85 Swamp Thing was in the American West with Jonah Hex, in No. 86 Swamp Thing was in the American Revolution with Tomahawk, in No. 87 Swamp Thing was in Camelot with King Arthur and the Demon Etrigan.  Eventually, Swamp Thing was going to meet Jesus and Swamp Thing's body would be the wood of the cross, but after the issue was written and drawn DC pulled the plug.  Rick Veitch offered some compromise, but eventually had to quit over it.

Wow! it makes me hungry to read, i really like this concept. 

An other things strange with him is that if im right he isnt death during COIE, When did you define is new origin?

By my search it seems to be many options to Consider 

Edited by BA773

On 7/28/2023 at 9:27 AM, BA773 said:

Wow! it makes me hungry to read, i really like this concept. 

An other things strange with him is that if im right it isnt death during COIE, When did you define is new origin?

Like everyone else, Swamp Thing had a Crisis on Infinite Earths crossover, but I don't remember it being actually all that significant to the overall Swamp Thing story... 

On 7/28/2023 at 3:49 PM, Slayah said:

I would say Swampy's new new origin started when Moore introduced John Constantine. John knew things about Swampy even Swampy didn't know.

The fact is that Constantine first is in #37 and its before COIE.

This is the different issues that i consider by their descriptions:

Join with us in a moment of silent prayer as we bid our final farewells at the funeral of the Swamp Thing! 

But the next issues dont confirm me that swamp things really dead:

Swamp Thing is exiled from Earth to begin his most incredible journey ever, through the limitless reaches of the cosmos.

So another choice can be the first one after Moore leave the title:

(We Could Be) Diving for Pearl!" Guest-starring John Constantine. Written by Rick Veitch. Art by Rick Veitch and Alfredo Alcala. The Swamp Thing seeks the council of the Parliament of Trees. Meanwhile, John Constantine pays a visit. Plus, the death of the Swamp Thing?! Cover price $1.00.

On 7/28/2023 at 10:11 AM, BA773 said:

The fact is that Constantine first is in #37 and its before COIE.

This is the different issues that i consider by their descriptions:

Join with us in a moment of silent prayer as we bid our final farewells at the funeral of the Swamp Thing! 

But the next issues dont confirm me that swamp things really dead:

Swamp Thing is exiled from Earth to begin his most incredible journey ever, through the limitless reaches of the cosmos.

So another choice can be the first one after Moore leave the title:

(We Could Be) Diving for Pearl!" Guest-starring John Constantine. Written by Rick Veitch. Art by Rick Veitch and Alfredo Alcala. The Swamp Thing seeks the council of the Parliament of Trees. Meanwhile, John Constantine pays a visit. Plus, the death of the Swamp Thing?! Cover price $1.00.

Ah, yes, Swamp Thing "died" but then his elemental spirit went on a journey through space and stuff and was reborn in #64.  Same character throughout.

On 7/28/2023 at 5:37 PM, wardevil0 said:

Sorry about the terrible pic, but here's mine, signed by John Totleben, Steve Bissette, Rick Veitch, and Tom Yeates.

2185299_Full_Obv.jpg

Just Fantastic! You bought it like that. Or you made them sign it and send it to cgc by yourself??

Maybe you have to follow my other recent topic if you want to get some amazing pictutes of your comics lol

Edited by BA773

On 7/28/2023 at 11:53 AM, BA773 said:

Just Fantastic! You bought it like that. Or you made them sign it and send it to cgc by yourself??

Maybe you have to follow my other recent topic if you want to get some amazing pictutes of your comics lol

This one I bought this way, but legendary Signature Series facilitator @Rich_Henn has helped with a few of my own submissions signed by Rick Veitch and John Totleben

Basically, it's an extremely readable, inventive series.

The only issue I can't stand is this pretentious drivel...

685763.jpg

A special price of 75 cents was still too much.

Edited by Ken Aldred

That introduced the "new format" (nicer paper and color) with that issue so they wanted something special for it. As I recall, Moore wrote the text based on mixed media collages made beforehand by Totleben, some of which weighed several pounds with the various pieces of metal and the like that had been applied to the pages.

Edited by jdandns