• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anybody going to Pulpfest 3-6th August in Pittsburgh, PA?
1 1

29 posts in this topic

Here’s a shot in the dark (or maybe it’s a dimly lit room 😀) - I’ve been looking for a copy of Detective Fiction Weekly from June 15, 1935. I bought this copy on eBay from a guy a last week. It turns out, the dealer said they already sold it in a cash deal at Pulp Fest to a person named “Paul” but he forgot to take to down from eBay. I was refunded promptly.

I’m wondering if anyone happens to know “Paul” from Pulp Fest and could contact him and ask if he’s willing to let that pulp go. Or, “Paul” if you are reading this and wish to reach out, send me a PM. Thanks 😊 

IMG_4265.jpeg

Edited by Primetime

Is this show and Windy City the two best pulp conventions in the US? I know “best” is a relative term but I’m talking about all the things that makes a convention great from attendance to dealers to collectors, etc. Are there any other significant pulp conventions?

On 8/1/2023 at 7:32 PM, lpsunburst said:

I am looking for a Batwoman if anybody see's a nice copy at a fair price up there, please let me know.

This all depends on what you are collecting.
If you are looking for the "Batwoman" issue of Weird Tales in order to read the stories, you will find solid readable copies that are overpriced.
If you are looking for the "Batwoman" issue of Weird Tales just to own the pulp and look at the cover, you will not find many "High Grade" copies. Those lower grade copies will be "overpriced for its grade". A "High Grade" copy will be priced even higher. No "Exceptionally High Grade" copies will be there. They will pass hands-to-hand, the transaction having already been completed. Or those copies will be put up for auction.

After all, it is just another Brundage pastel in an issue of WeirdTales. This one just has been tagged as "Iconic".

On 8/2/2023 at 3:25 AM, Primetime said:

I’m looking for a low grade Ka-zar 1 (1936).  If anyone sees one there, LMK 👍🏽

#! is partially easy to find. In any condition, it is a wall book. #s 2 and 3 are harder to find. [You will find very little in common with the comic book Ka-Zar.]

On 8/9/2023 at 3:12 PM, Comicshows said:

Any more pics or show reports?

As usual, it was a fantastic show. I did well selling at my table. There were plenty of attendees. And several new faces.

Argosy was plentiful, but no dealer had 8 or 9 boxes of them to go through as there were in the old days. 20s and 30s issues of Adventure are getting harder to find.
Short Stories has nearly vanished from dealer stock. Issues before 1926 are just not to be found

There was surprising interest in Railroad Stories. I sold every issue I brought to the show.

On 8/27/2023 at 4:30 PM, Murphman13 said:

Is this show and Windy City the two best pulp conventions in the US? I know “best” is a relative term but I’m talking about all the things that makes a convention great from attendance to dealers to collectors, etc. Are there any other significant pulp conventions?

Pulp Adventurecon has been running for over 20 years.
They run a one-day show in New Jersey in November and a one-day show in Florida in March.

One day show, a smaller venue, but they sell out their tables every time.

On 2/18/2024 at 4:35 PM, Rick Hall said:

This all depends on what you are collecting.
If you are looking for the "Batwoman" issue of Weird Tales in order to read the stories, you will find solid readable copies that are overpriced.
If you are looking for the "Batwoman" issue of Weird Tales just to own the pulp and look at the cover, you will not find many "High Grade" copies. Those lower grade copies will be "overpriced for its grade". A "High Grade" copy will be priced even higher. No "Exceptionally High Grade" copies will be there. They will pass hands-to-hand, the transaction having already been completed. Or those copies will be put up for auction.

After all, it is just another Brundage pastel in an issue of WeirdTales. This one just has been tagged as "Iconic".

Funny that you are responding to a 6 month old post about an event that has long since passed. I would also say that any copies "overpriced for its grade" would now be considered a steal.