• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do You Still Have Your First Piece of Original Comic Art?
3 3

86 posts in this topic

On 8/10/2023 at 9:49 PM, MR SigS said:

I still have mine from Marvel Classics #26- Probably purchased on eBay. There's nothing significant about it, but I still love it for the brushwork. 

RXthEjR.jpg4azq8q2l.jpg

There's a lot of great stuff going on on that page. I love the texture of the ocean.

On 8/11/2023 at 7:39 AM, Dr. Balls said:

There's a lot of great stuff going on on that page. I love the texture of the ocean.

The textures are what grabbed my eye- The folds of the clothing, the brushwork in the hair and the flowers on her head.

That's what I love about collecting art. I can't afford to play in the big leagues and collect the art from the comics I collect, so I'm "forced" to go with art that simply appeals to me, and that's all art needs to do. I can easily see selling all my comics and keeping the art, because the art is truly one of a kind.

On 8/11/2023 at 4:22 PM, alxjhnsn said:

Yes, I do. It's my favorite character and my favorite artist. It was the first one into the collection and it would be the last out. Click the image to learn how I came to own it.

image.thumb.jpeg.8c7a2c494dbdffbd38329864b581629c.jpeg

That's a great story, and a great touchpiece to your grandmother's memory. Very cool!

On 8/11/2023 at 10:18 AM, MR SigS said:

That's what I love about collecting art. I can't afford to play in the big leagues and collect the art from the comics I collect, so I'm "forced" to go with art that simply appeals to me, and that's all art needs to do. I can easily see selling all my comics and keeping the art, because the art is truly one of a kind.

Amen, brother! I love finding great pieces that just work well, expertly crafted and have visual balance that I can admire and appreciate - regardless of the artist's fame or popularity. If it's a great piece, it's a great piece. Sure, it'd be nice to play in the Romita/Buscema end of the pool, but I find just as many unique pieces and enjoy the challenge of looking down here in the kiddie end.

On 8/10/2023 at 11:49 PM, MR SigS said:

I still have mine from Marvel Classics #26- Probably purchased on eBay. There's nothing significant about it, but I still love it for the brushwork. 

RXthEjR.jpg4azq8q2l.jpg

I think most collectors would agree that price and quality don’t have a lot to do with each other. In my opinion, you bought a quality piece.

On 8/11/2023 at 6:58 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Amen, brother! I love finding great pieces that just work well, expertly crafted and have visual balance that I can admire and appreciate - regardless of the artist's fame or popularity. If it's a great piece, it's a great piece. Sure, it'd be nice to play in the Romita/Buscema end of the pool, but I find just as many unique pieces and enjoy the challenge of looking down here in the kiddie end.

To be honest, I think that for the most part, that end of the pool is over-valued and I don’t care for that end of the pool because of it. So, I wouldn’t think you are missing out, except maybe for bragging rights. Price is a function of demand, not “value”, and a lot of pricing has to do with nostalgia. Look at some pieces by the same artist, whoever that may be, on a less than popular run. Ross Andru comes to mind, but he is hardly the only one. And this isn’t a novel thought, it has been said by lots of others. I will go one step farther, however, and add that the price differentials for high priced art vs. art by other artists also doesn’t always make sense to me. So, enjoy without a care that you are missing out on “nice”.

I just had my first OA page reframed and hung in my home office.

I had it signed by Oliver Coipel at Planet City Con (KC) in 2019

This was a gift from my wonderful wife from 16 years ago.

I now have 32 OA pages and 19 convention sketches.

https://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=90870

20231020_112254.jpg

On 10/20/2023 at 10:48 AM, Ducky13 said:

I just had my first OA page reframed and hung in my home office.

I had it signed by Oliver Coipel at Planet City Con (KC) in 2019

This was a gift from my wonderful wife from 16 years ago.

I now have 32 OA pages and 19 convention sketches.

https://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=90870

20231020_112254.jpg

That's a wonderful way to display that - nice!

On 10/22/2023 at 2:07 PM, mlansdown said:

I still have my first piece of original comic art pictured below.  I also have my second, and my third, and my fourth, and well, all of them.  I'm good at buying but terrible at selling.

This page from Dennis the Menace #46 was bought in the very early days of eBay and is inscribed by Al Wiseman to a fan.  Years later, I also purchased page two of this story.  Still looking for the other pages!

Dennis46Art.jpg

This is an awesome page by the brilliant Al Wiseman. I still read these all the time. Can’t wait to see you post the other pages!